X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scrivener
    replied
    Re: You TV?

Pz made a comment during his driving-around Waikiki stream about how his interest in podcasting has chillede a bit since his discovery of video casting and live video streaming. I found this very interesting.

As has been discussed, one of the beauties of podcasting is the I'll-listen-when-I-have-time feature. If you subscribe to a cast, iTunes sucks it down to your computer when a new episode is available, and if you sync your iPod regularly, it sucks it down to your iPod and you just sorta discover it there. When you're ready.

While I can't say I didn't enjoy the live video stream, I found myself resenting having to watch it at that moment if I wanted to watch it at all. So the big difference here is the immediacy of steaming vs. the delayability of podcasting, and the reason I'm musing about all this here and now is I'm wondering about the future of podcasting, which was supposed to be the Next Big Thing. The 'Net changes so quickly, of course, that it's hard to even say if the Next Big Thing exists.

Leave a comment:

• pzarquon
    replied

Man. If there was anyone in Hawaii whose life should be broadcast live over the internet, it's Christa's. I mean... how much fun would all this be to watch as it happens?

I feel like going someplace scenic for lunch. Kakaako Waterfront Park? Ala Moana Beach Park? Tune in 'round noon Hawaii time. I'll try not to chew too loud.

Leave a comment:

• christa
    replied

...AND people who twitter will get to know as it happens.

(yes i finally got onboard with the the twit!)

Leave a comment:

• pzarquon
    replied

By the way, I'm going to be turning on the camera randomly, so tune in if you're bored and you might catch me out and about. Like now, heading into rush hour traffic. May have something for you for lunch, too...

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hawaii

Leave a comment:

• pzarquon
    replied

There are all kinds of practical applications for this. I used to do conference planning, and we used to pay six figures to have live streaming video from our various panels around the Pacific Rim... and it wasn't the whole Internet on the other end, just other remote offices. I can see smaller outfits finally being able to make their presentations available to the world at reasonable cost.

Yes, some conferences will have to specifically ban cameras if they want to enforce exclusivity of attendance... but most forward-thinking gatherings will go for something like this.

Like all great technologies, this stuff will provide immense amounts of entertainment, education, commerce, and yes, trouble. I can't wait to see it all.

By the way, Ustream also has its "official" video archive of part of yesterday's sunset. You can hear some of the conversation and watch the insanity.

http://www.ustream.tv/mystuff/NURNLnr1PsaZ3NEKaTNn1A

Whee!

Leave a comment:

• tutusue
    replied

I'd be thrilled at learning how to stream a Makaha sunset!

Heck...I have old-fashion miniDV video of Christa and Jacquie creating Starbuck's palm trees on my office door. I'd be thrilled to have the time to edit the footage, add music and learn how to upload to YouTube!

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

I'm interested in some of the educational applications a thing like this might have, but while the portability is certainly cool, it's the immediacy that makes it what it is, and I'm wondering how that might be of use.

During the sunset chat, Tutusue brought up the possibility of doing casting calls this way, setting up for clients on the mainland and parading auditioners through the video screen.

I'm interested in playing around with it, hoping some practical application will reveal itself. I'm not optimistic, but yeah. I'll play around with it too.

I don't like the idea of paying fifty bucks a month for EVDO service, especially when I'm paying forty bucks a month already for the 3G data service on my cell phone (that's in addition to the forty bucks a month for the phone service).

Leave a comment:

• pzarquon
    replied

Oh, definitely things will get hairy quickly. Justin has already been thrown out of the GAP, has had encounters with people who don't want to be filmed, and can't do everyday things like watch TV or go to the movies (at least not without making lawyers nervous). I'm cautious enough, being up front about the camera and sticking to largely public spaces, but not everyone will be. Wait 'til high school kids start doing this from classrooms... or bathrooms.

With dozens of people walking around with cameras, streaming live, it's only a matter of time before a crime is committed in front of or involving them, or when a litigious-minded stranger finds a good excuse for a lawsuit. But, this early on the curve, it's all experimental and crazy and learn as you go. And I'm having a blast.

I have no doubt the lawyers will ruin the fun, just as they have for other spectacular evolutionary steps in the history of the Internet... so I'm going to have my fun right now!

For those that missed today's Haleiwa sunset, here's a video clip recorded by a viewer on the Mainland:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa5M6XDsRQ0

Here's a clip from earlier in the day, when we were using an alternate service (it was awful) as we drove down Kalakaua Avenue, again recorded by a friend thousands of miles away:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7SAAro4q5E

Leave a comment:

• mel
    replied

I joined Ryan and his family for a morning near the beach, a drive through Waikiki and into McCully and a stop and lunch at Stadium Park though the virtual Ustream "broadcast". I also experienced some of the problems with the chat feature on Ustream.... and I did click "yes" for the certificate verification thing.... Without downloading a new java update, the Ustream managed to work in chat mode about halfway through the time I watched, though there was a lag in typing stuff in...and once my Firefox crashed.

And while the Ustream live broadcasts or "lifecast" as Ryan has termed them in his blog, there will be ethical and privacy issues that will prevail as the technology becomes adopted by more people.

Leave a comment:

• tutusue
    replied

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
    Whee! That was fun. [...]Yeah, Tutusue, you'd have to trust that guy to get the chat to work. It's an applet written by an independent developer and I guess he's not certified or expired or something. That's the difference between most folks and total geeks, I guess... We click "OK" and damn the torpedos! (And sometimes regret it.)[...]
    Aha! That's what the applet's for...to chat! I like your phone feature better! The delay was interesting, tho'. I could hear myself! Kinda weird!

Just when I think technology has outdone itself, it outdoes itself again! Ooooh, to have the time to learn and play with it! I'm still looking forward to my first YouTube upload...if it's still around by the time I'm able to give it a try!

Leave a comment:

• Quark
    replied

That was good fun Ryan. Almost like being there without the sandy feet. Please twitter your next outing.

Leave a comment:

• blueyecicle
    replied

That was very cool. I need to learn how. I have a cam on my new laptop.

Leave a comment:

• pzarquon
    replied

Whee! That was fun. Folks from around the island, and on the Mainland, tuning in to enjoy a Haleiwa sunset.

I kept streaming most of the way home, too, though both the conference call and video stream died eventually.

Yeah, Tutusue, you'd have to trust that guy to get the chat to work. It's an applet written by an independent developer and I guess he's not certified or expired or something. That's the difference between most folks and total geeks, I guess... We click "OK" and damn the torpedos! (And sometimes regret it.)

We'll have to do it again sometime. I plan to livecast rush hour traffic sometime this week for the heck of it. Show those Hawaii dreamers what the workaday life in "paradise" really involves!

Leave a comment:

• tutusue
    replied

Originally posted by helen View Post
    [...]I was watching the full screen version of the video feed[...]
    There was a full screen option??? Jeez, see how untechie I am!

Leave a comment:

• helen
    replied

Took me a while to figure out the telephone conference call. I was watching the full screen version of the video feed and I didn't see that phone number. That phone number was on the Ustream page that was originally linked from Ryan.

Took a couple of tries for me. I tried my cell phone first but no one could hear my clearly so then I tried my home phone.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X