Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Interesting News About Hawaiian Telcom

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    7 and 11Mbit Internet access? To be rolled out in the 3rd Quarter. Wow!
    If the 7Mbit access is going to cost me $20 a month, where do I sign?
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
      Actually as far as I understand they do offer "dry" Road Runner service. It is the same price as regular Road Runner, $44.95. They also offer dry digital phone too for $ 49.95 a month. But when you bundle Road Runner, digital phone and Cable tv, the individual prices drop.
      You have to pay HT $5 more if you don't have a landline. But even at $34.95, and signing up with a VOIP, you still come out way cheaper then what Oceanic can provide.

I look forward to the new TVIP services. I think Oceanic is where they are because of cable TV and the heavy advertising of Road Runner. I don't think they are the best price/performance for Internet.

Comment

Originally posted by LocalMotion View Post
        i can't say how i know or what i know, but HT is aware of their billing problems.

most of it started when they had to switch to all new systems after Verizon sold them. and the new billing systems are creating all kinds of problems. they have been working on them for a while and fixed many issues. they have started with large business accounts, so the residential customers will probably be the last leg to work on...

imagine turning on major corporate services worth $100,000 a month and not billing them for 6 months!!!
        Yep they went and fired all of their expensive Bearing Point (KPMG) consultants after the billing fisaco.

After that Bearing Point closed their local office. Guess they screwed up but paid a hefty price. I knew of the consultants on a personal level. Real smart, real competant guy. There must have been some major politics going on because he was kind of bitter.

Only positive, is that he probably had no trouble getting a job.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
          If the 7Mbit access is going to cost me $20 a month, where do I sign?
          Not likely unfortunately.It will definately be more than 29.99 a month.But less than 54.90 that Oceanic charges for Road Runner Turbo (8Mbps/512k)
          Check out my blog on Kona issues :
          The Kona Blog

Comment

You have to pay HT $5 more if you don't have a landline. But even at $34.95, and signing up with a VOIP, you still come out way cheaper then what Oceanic can provide.

I look forward to the new TVIP services. I think Oceanic is where they are because of cable TV and the heavy advertising of Road Runner. I don't think they are the best price/performance for Internet.
            I have to agree, currently Oceanic bundles both Digital Phone and Road Runner for 56.35 a month. I'm sure you could get a cheap VoIP that wouldn't
            push the overall price of DSL + VoIP more than 56.35.
            The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
              Not likely unfortunately.It will definately be more than 29.99 a month.But less than 54.90 that Oceanic charges for Road Runner Turbo (8Mbps/512k)
              Sighs. So, is $30 rate the norm now?

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                Sighs. So, is $30 rate the norm now?
                When has it been lower for broadband? (Ignoring all the promotional "3 month" rates.)

Some places on the mainland had 768Kbit for $15, but that never came out here.

Comment

When has it been lower for broadband? (Ignoring all the promotional "3 month" rates.)

Some places on the mainland had 768Kbit for $15, but that never came out here.
                  I would pay for that service if it's just $20 a month.

I missed Verizon.

Comment

I have the HawTelcom bundle-land line,unlimited neighbor island and mainland long distance and DSL for $65/month.I'm happy,but faster would certainly be nice. And I just dropped my Oceanic cable completely and went to Dish Network. A few problems at first but now I really love it! A MUCH better pic than Oceanic ever had (and I used to work for them) And cheaper.
                    I did have some billing issues at first but they were cleared up. All in all, I like Haw Telcom.

Comment

The DSL only account is about $37 a month when you include the taxes. I switched to it recently and my bill arrived today.

I heard about some of the billing problems at HT. Yeah its quite a mess.

Comment

Hawaiian Tel Super HSI Pricing

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...402385971.html

39.99 for 7Mbps service (with landline)
                        49.99 for 11Mbps service (with landline)

55.99 for 11Mbps service (without landline)
                        45.99 for 7Mbps service (without landline)

69.99 for Mychoice bundle (with 7Mbps service)
                        79.99 for Mychoice bundle (with 11Mbps service)
                        The Kona Blog

Comment

Re: Faster Broadband from Hawaiian Telcom

Hee, hee. Roadrunner can no longer advertiser itself as the fastest. Be interesting to see what they do with their ads now.

I'm not planning on upgrading. The 3Mbit is fast enough for me. I'll pocket the money, thank you.

Comment

Hee, hee. Roadrunner can no longer advertiser itself as the fastest. Be interesting to see what they do with their ads now.

I'm not planning on upgrading. The 3Mbit is fast enough for me. I'll pocket the money, thank you.
                            I'm likely going to upgrade to 7Mbps service, since we already have the Mychoice bundle. But who knows, I might splurge and upgrade to 11Mbps.
                            The Kona Blog

Comment

So this is available right now? Has anyone upgraded yet? I know to get "RoadRunner Turbo" from Oceanic, it just takes a phone call and all the configuration is done on their end in a matter of minutes. Is it similarly simple with Hawaiian Telcom?

And what are the upload speeds for these new service levels? Or are those all the same? Local media makers were recently talking about Oceanic's offering for the 512kbs upload (which is mentioned in the Advertiser story), but I'm hoping that if HiTel can go up to 11Mbps for downloads, the upstream bandwidth would similarly be boosted.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                                So this is available right now? Has anyone upgraded yet? I know to get "RoadRunner Turbo" from Oceanic, it just takes a phone call and all the configuration is done on their end in a matter of minutes. Is it similarly simple with Hawaiian Telcom?

And what are the upload speeds for these new service levels? Or are those all the same? Local media makers were recently talking about Oceanic's offering for the 512kbs upload (which is mentioned in the Advertiser story), but I'm hoping that if HiTel can go up to 11Mbps for downloads, the upstream bandwidth would similarly be boosted.
                                According to this article this is the areas where the service is available.

"The new high-speed Internet service is available in metro and East Honolulu, Ewa, Mililani, Waipahu and Wahiawa. It's also available in Hilo and in Makawao on Maui. "

One caveat about this service is this apparent fact, according this article

Nishida said technical constraints mean that only about a quarter of all Hawaiian Telcom customers will be able to get the 11-Mbps speed, and about a third will be able to get 7 Mbps. Customers can call 643-3456 to find out what speed their line will support.

The upload will be 1Mbps. You'll need a ADSL +2 DSL modem (Westel 6100)
                                The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X