Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Former Bishop Estate trustee busted

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
    GJ's attorney also claims that GJ didn't hit the boys SUV until after it had already hit the pole and wire. Interesting claim.
    KITV news just reported that too, and said that "several witnesses, and the boys, refute that claim and say Jervis did cause the crash."
    Those pesky witnesses.
    KITV also interviewed the principal of St. Louis, who said they'd decide in about a week whether to expel the boys and whether to allow them to graduate. Expulsion, maybe. Graduation ban seems rather harsh, ya think? (Unless they let them graduate but not attend the ceremony.)
    They identified the driver and said he got a scholarship to play football for UH. (He's 6'3" and 275; good thing Jervis didn't try to rumble with him.) UH says they'll wait for the outcome to decide whether to let him play. Kind of odd, since UH has a history of giving second chances to players, Colt Brennan being the most recent example.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

You're referring to this?

UH Recruit Among St. Louis Seniors Arrested In Egg-Throwing

Well, I hope that the recruit in question is going to turn his life around.

Besides, just because you're big doesn't mean you're above the law and can get away with mischief. Sorry, but in my experience bullies tend to be that big. I never heard of a 4'5" 100 lb. bully (unless I'm in kindergarten).
      Last edited by Random; March 11, 2008, 06:11 PM.
      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Did anybody else see the part about Jervis and his wife were sitting on their porch at the time the kids egged his house? If they came close to hitting the Jervis’ then I would think the kids could be charged with assault.

My experience with calling the police is it takes anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour and a half before they show up. Even if I get a license number I don’t see any results. Most of the time the police have to witness the act to take any action. After a while you just get the feeling that it does no good to call the police.
        "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
        Ayn Rand

Comment

Originally posted by 68-eldo View Post
          My experience with calling the police is it takes anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour and a half before they show up. Even if I get a license number I don’t see any results. Most of the time the police have to witness the act to take any action. After a while you just get the feeling that it does no good to call the police.
          I bet you that if a cop lives in the neighborhood, the matter would move more swiftly.

Comment

Apparently the vandalism has been happening in Lanikai for quite some time. That's a bit surprising. Lanikai tends to be a low crime area for two reasons: it only has one road (read "escape route") going in and out, which criminals tend to avoid, and also it's pretty evident that police keep a better eye on wealthy neighborhoods.
            This doesn't surprise me at all. My folks live in a different affluent neighborhood, also with only one way in and out. People go in, then egg houses on their way out. My dad's house is the last house on the right as you exit the neighborhood, so it frequently gets whatever's left.

Expulsion, maybe. Graduation ban seems rather harsh, ya think? (Unless they let them graduate but not attend the ceremony.)
            It might seem harsh to you, but it seems perfectly reasonable to me; in fact, if the boys did it, exclusion from commencement is the very minimal appropriate punishment. Teaching seniors in the last few months of school is crazy, and the incipient graduates need to understand that if they want their diplomas, or if they want to walk, they are expected to toe the line up until the moment their tassels are turned.

I worked at a school where a senior was caught with alcohol on campus, not more than three months before graduation. He was also the lead in the school play, which was to be performed the following weekend. He was let go after some debate. I was ready to turn in my resignation if he (and the three underclassmen he was with) wasn't expelled.

You've got to be who you are, even several weeks before the end of the year. Especially several weeks before the end of the year. If you are a school that lets that kind of thing go, okay. But count on its happening again the next year.

Originally posted by 68-eldo View Post
            Did anybody else see the part about Jervis and his wife were sitting on their porch at the time the kids egged his house? If they came close to hitting the Jervis’ then I would think the kids could be charged with assault.
            Michael W. Perry said several times this morning that an egg whizzed past the head of Jervis's wife. I don't know where he got that, but that's what he said.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

KITV also interviewed the principal of St. Louis, who said they'd decide in about a week whether to expel the boys and whether to allow them to graduate. Expulsion, maybe. Graduation ban seems rather harsh, ya think? (Unless they let them graduate but not attend the ceremony.)
              I don't think banning a student from a graduation ceremony is "harsh" at all. Many schools (private and public) have a code of conduct. Violate it and you may be restricted from extracurricular activities. Being able to participate in proms, assemblies, and yes, even graduation ceremonies is supposed to be a privilege, not a right. Ten years ago, St. Louis banned a highly regarded lineman from graduation ceremonies after he vandalized a teacher's car. He later got his diploma through the mail. So there's definitely precedent for this kind of disciplinary action.

They identified the driver and said he got a scholarship to play football for UH. (He's 6'3" and 275; good thing Jervis didn't try to rumble with him.) UH says they'll wait for the outcome to decide whether to let him play. Kind of odd, since UH has a history of giving second chances to players, Colt Brennan being the most recent example.
              I don't know about the new coach, but June Jones didn't indiscriminately give out "second chances" to everyone. In the cases of Colt and Pisa Tinoisamoa, JJ took a chance on them because they had a lot of folks who went to bat for them as character references.

Also, their record of arrest took place on the Mainland, so their coming to Hawaii was like a fresh start for them, in a new state and away from the negative influences that got them into trouble in the first place. The same can't be said for Hanohano, if he goes to UH.
              Last edited by Frankie's Market; March 11, 2008, 09:34 PM.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                Also, their record of arrest took place on the Mainland, so their coming to Hawaii was like a fresh start for them, in a new state and away from the negative influences that got them into trouble in the first place. The same can't be said for Hanohano, if he goes to UH.
                I don't care if the dude is 6'3" tall and 275 lbs. He better show some remorse and cry before the judge to give him a second chance and own up to the mischief he's involved in with whatever punishment he's given.

I wonder if this incident have tarnished St. Louis.

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
                  In a story like this think it sells a lot of newspapers it's perfectly legitimate to recall other instances where he was running amok...
                  Okay, I was going to join Helen and Scriv in chastising LikaNui for his trademark “glee,” but I this was too funny, Nords. Your post says it all.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                  USA TODAY, page 2A
                  11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                    Michael W. Perry said several times this morning that an egg whizzed past the head of Jervis's wife. I don't know where he got that, but that's what he said.
                    I heard other media sources air the same comment yesterday.
                    And did anyone see the Letters To The Editor in today's Advertiser? Jervis appears to be winning in the court of public opinion, with all the interviews and letters from folks applauding his action. I tend to agree up to a point, though ramming another vehicle crosses the line.

It might seem harsh to you, but it seems perfectly reasonable to me; in fact, if the boys did it, exclusion from commencement is the very minimal appropriate punishment.
                    and
                    Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                    I don't think banning a student from a graduation ceremony is "harsh" at all.
                    I think you both misread and/or misunderstood me. In post #46 I wrote "Graduation ban seems rather harsh, ya think? (Unless they let them graduate but not attend the ceremony.)" I thought it was clear that I agree they shouldn't attend the graduation ceremony, but I thought it was too harsh if the school was not even going to give them a diploma at all, even in the mail. Does that make better sense now?

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                    harping on the why of posting is going way off topic and getting silly.
                    And yet it hasn't stopped:

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                    Okay, I was going to join Helen and Scriv in chastising LikaNui for his trademark “glee,”
                    Trademark? Please clarify and justify that comment by providing examples, either publicly or via PM. If shown to be true, I'll gladly apologize and work on my writing style.

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
                    I must say that there was indeed an air of "glee" in the OP's initial post. If only an "oooo look I'm posting this before anyone else does---wooohooo what a coup" air, it was certainly there. Feigned innocence notwithstanding.
                    How tacky to bring it up again here, even if the media are doing so. To justify such poor judgment with a wink and a "hey look, the papers and even the TV NEWS are doing it"? Lame and disgusting, IMHO.
                    Some things are better left alone regardless of the momentary thrill sensationalism might bring to those who take delight in such things.
                    I remind everyone that the entire wording of post #1 was "Former Bishop Estate trustee Gerard Jervis got busted last night, according to the Advertiser." I quoted part of the article, then wrote "No mention about Jervis' other bit of history -- being caught in flagrante delicto in a bathroom of the Hawaii Prince Hotel with someone else's wife, who shortly thereafter committed suicide, if I recall correctly." No one has yet pointed out a single word there that justifies any of the personal attacks on me. Dozens and dozens of people have started threads on HT over the years without ever being accused of gleefulness or of ""oooo look I'm posting this before anyone else does---wooohooo what a coup".
                    What a load of crap.
                    (I was amused to see the new thread about New York's Governor. No accusations there of glee or coups, even though that thread was far more vitriolic.)
                    I feel sorry for anyone whose life is so shallow that they feel approval of anonymous posters on a message board is important to them.
                    Carry on. I'm done.

Comment

I feel sorry for anyone whose life is so shallow that they feel approval of anonymous posters on a message board is important to them.
                      Carry on. I'm done.
                      I doubt very strongly whether anyone posting here has a life "so shallow that they feel approval of anonymous posters on a message board is important to them."
                      I sensed no begging for approval in any posts on this forum and I honestly am rather perplexed as to just where that undeserved characterization of posters came from.

Comment

I think you both misread and/or misunderstood me. In post #46 I wrote "Graduation ban seems rather harsh, ya think? (Unless they let them graduate but not attend the ceremony.)" I thought it was clear that I agree they shouldn't attend the graduation ceremony, but I thought it was too harsh if the school was not even going to give them a diploma at all, even in the mail. Does that make better sense now?
                        No, I got that. I said that forfeiting participation in the ceremony is the minimum. Out-and-out expulsion, though, is not too harsh. And if you are expelled before the end of the year and therefore do not satisfy the requirements for graduation at that institution, then neither do you receive your diploma.

The way I word it for my eager learners is like this: If an action is bad enough to have denied you entry to the school, it's bad enough to merit your expulsion. So if you're about to do something questionable, ask yourself if this would have kept you out of this school if you'd done it just before applying for admission.
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

No, I got that. I said that forfeiting participation in the ceremony is the minimum. Out-and-out expulsion, though, is not too harsh. And if you are expelled before the end of the year and therefore do not satisfy the requirements for graduation at that institution, then neither do you receive your diploma.
                          Maybe we should put up a poll with the question, "Should the potential UH recruit and St. Louis senior be expelled (and thus not graduate this year) for his involvement in the Lanikai egging incident?"

Comment

I said that forfeiting participation in the ceremony is the minimum.
                            Agreed.

Out-and-out expulsion, though, is not too harsh.
                            Agreed, too.

And if you are expelled before the end of the year and therefore do not satisfy the requirements for graduation at that institution, then neither do you receive your diploma.
                            So, the person would have to take make-up classes for that time frame to get a diploma? Continue the schoolwork but from home? Or...?
                            I don't disagree, I'm just trying to understand the options. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                              Maybe we should put up a poll with the question, "Should the potential UH recruit and St. Louis senior be expelled (and thus not graduate this year) for his involvement in the Lanikai egging incident?"
                              And Part Two of the poll could be "Should Jervis be disbarred from practicing law for his involvement in the Lanikai egging incident?"

Comment

So, the person would have to take make-up classes for that time frame to get a diploma? Continue the schoolwork but from home? Or...? I don't disagree, I'm just trying to understand the options.
                                Once you're out of my school, you're out. I have nothing to do with your diploma except for transferring your record to whatever school you move to. Whether you decide at that point to get a GED or to finish your senior year at another school is your business.

Most schools require one semester's attendance before awarding a diploma with those transfer credits. Some student in this situation will officially enroll in a public school, finish out the school year, then take a summer course, which may be enough for the school to award a diploma at the completion of the course. I'm not exactly sure how it works once the young men and women are cut loose, but I do know that many do get diplomas...somewhere. Of the students I know of who've been cut loose this close to the end of the year, all received diplomas eventually; none went the GED route.
                                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                                X