Should Civil Unions Be Legalized?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Should Civil Unions Be Legalized?

hi in response to leo lakio,i agree and im glad to share my thought's with everyone.

i dont mean any harm,only from what i learned from my mom's youngest sis and my eldest sis of what their thought's are,they agree that if they had same gender marriage's here,it wouldnt be to nice is that we here wouldnt wish to have same gender person's saying to their friend's who are same gender's that they are allowed to marry here.

this wouldnt be correct.

im glad my mom married my deceased father and that i'd call them mom and dad and my deceased father wasnt a same gender who would marry a same gender person and it was taught to me from my deceased father when i was a youth.

he also shared that if anyone knock's on your door and you wouldnt know who it is,dont open for anyone is they could be scoping out your home and these are what i was taught when i was a youth so i hope that when i post,

this is all true.

Well thank's for your time

Comment

Thanks, everyone.

Sansei, to answer your concern about what a child would call two parents of the same gender, usually the family decides on two different variations of Mom or Dad (whichever is appropriate). So, one parent could be Momma and the other could be Mom. It's similar to how kids have different names for their grandparents- my sister's kids call our parents Nana and Gran-Dad, and they call her husband's parents Gran and Pop Pop.

Also, with so many step-families today, a child may even have four sets of grandparents to find names for, or have to find names for step-parents even if their parents are hetrosexual. My best friend's son calls his biological father (her first husband) Daddy and his step-father (who is raising him) Dad. So that can be an issue regardless of sexual preference.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
        [...]
        Also, with so many step-families today, a child may even have four sets of grandparents to find names for, or have to find names for step-parents even if their parents are hetrosexual. My best friend's son calls his biological father (her first husband) Daddy and his step-father (who is raising him) Dad. So that can be an issue regardless of sexual preference.
        Thank you SG...this is exactly what I was getting at...to no avail! My girls' grandmothers were called Grandma (maternal) and Grandma Margaret (paternal). They called their great-grandmothers GG Peg and GG Sherman. What to call a parent (or grandparent), regardless of sexual orientation, is just not a problem.

Comment

Yanno...sometimes it's not just same sex families that have two mommies.

My girls call me Mom/mommy and they call my hubs ex, Mommy Ada. She's mom to their older sister. Tina calls her mom...mom, and calls me Cat. In fact Ada's mom was called Grandma Emma by my girls and all the other relatives from my hubs first marriage are called Aunt or Uncle. They call Pali and Sharon Uncle and Aunt too.

No confusion there, just extensions that reach out far and wide.

Comment

http://www.samesexmarriage.ca/docs/A...%20William%20N[1].%20Eskridge,%20JR.pdf

A more scholarly writing on the history of same sex marriage by a law professor in an affidavit for a Canadian court case. Not that there aren't people who disagree with Eskridge, but he at least has studied the topic more than I have

Comment

• What to call 'Moms' and/or 'Dads'

My son's best friend calls both his moms "Mom, unless they are both in the same room with him, in which case he either makes eye contact, or if they aren't looking, inserts their first names before mom: "Mom Linda or Mom Casey." "Mom" is like an honorific, like "Doctor" or "Professor."

It works fine for them. The kid is a well-adjusted honor student; my son (adopted, with hetero parents) thinks he is great, and doesn't bat an eyelash.

DISCRIMINATION AND PREDUJICE IS LEARNED, NOT NATURAL!

It's only 'wrong' if YOU make it wrong, or you have been taught to make it wrong.

If we raise children with tolerance, we bring more peace into the world.

PEACE!

Put hate and intolerance aside. Let people in love, love each other, and make true love easy to access.

It is NOT all about sex. And, even if it was, so what? What's wrong with sex???? Without sex, you wouldn't even be here.

K+
              Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
              ~ ~
              Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
              Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
              Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

• Re: What to call 'Moms' and/or 'Dads'

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                [...]
                It's only 'wrong' if YOU make it wrong, or you have been taught to make it wrong.
                [...]Let people in love, love each other, and make true love easy to access.[...]
                And herein lies a point to be made for children...they don't respond negatively to gender unless it is instilled in them. They do, however, respond to love. Love is not dependent on gender.

Discrimination needs to end. Enough already...

Comment

hi,since i was born into a opposite gender of a japanese american family on which my parent's parent's came from japan,i was taught to call my parent's mom and dad and my grandparent my mom's mom as obasan and my dad's mom in english grandma and i was taught to say to my mom's mom when she gave me andagi to say doitashimashite and this is a reason i believe in traditional marriage and my two sis's were brought up the same so this is a reason,

i share my thought's on this.i dont mean to be unkind,only this is all true.

Well thank's for your time

Comment

• Re: What to call 'Moms' and/or 'Dads'

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                    And herein lies a point to be made for children...they don't respond negatively to gender unless it is instilled in them. They do, however, respond to love. Love is not dependent on gender.

Discrimination needs to end. Enough already...

Exactly, hate is NOT a family value.

Life is too short. We are all just lucky to be here. Who is anyone to try and inhibit the best quality of life someone can live on their short go around on this rock we call home?

Come the end of the day, does it really matter if two people, same sex or not, be married, or share a civil union? WTF does it matter? And, for all the joking you hear about a "nail in the coffin" and parodies made on marriage, why are people so worked up, let 'em be "miserable" like all the other married people.

Heaven forbid people be happy, be capable of providing love for something they share(a child), and providing a loving environment.
                    flickr

An email from God:
                    To: People of Earth
                    Date: 9/04/2007
                    Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                    God

Comment

It's a battle we have to fight in every generation.
                      You've got to be carefully taught

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                        It's a battle we have to fight in every generation.
                        You've got to be carefully taught
                        I'll see your song and raise you an album:

Woman in a Man's Suit

Comment

Pastor of a mega church in Atlanta, strongly campaigned against gay marriage, now sued by 3 males claiming the pastor coerced them into sex. Pope Ratzinger being sued by victim of sex abuse by priest and Ratzinger stopped the investigation of the case which involved over 200 deaf boys. Do we see something more sinister than hypocrisy here?

Comment

Yes.
                            Ya know? If you have a person getting a surgical sex change, he/she can legally marry someone of his/her former sex. What is the difference????

While marriage by old tradition is to create a family with children, we have 80 year olds getting married legally, and there is no way they will ever be able to bear children.

I am straight, and I am not religious, and I am not a liberal by any means, but I do believe that we were all born equal, and we should all have equal rights and treatment in our society. A gay person is a human being, and we should respect, and not discriminate against their human rights.

Now, I would be opposed to two men or two women walking down an aisle with one in a wedding gown and the other in a tux. That would be ridiculous unless they decided to do that only among people who would tolerate it, but a partnership in which two couples can share joint tax filings, medical insurance, and what most married couples share should be allowed.

Comment

Okay, you're new, so I'll bite. Is marriage a human right? I say no, it's a cultural and/or legal rite. Please don't confuse legal and cultural rites with human rights because they are wholly unrelated. Thank you, very much.

Addendum - "...two couples can share..." I see you're into foursomes, eh?
                              Last edited by salmoned; September 24, 2010, 12:32 PM.
                              May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
                                Pastor of a mega church in Atlanta, strongly campaigned against gay marriage, now sued by 3 males claiming the pastor coerced them into sex. Pope Ratzinger being sued by victim of sex abuse by priest and Ratzinger stopped the investigation of the case which involved over 200 deaf boys. Do we see something more sinister than hypocrisy here?
                                No, I think it's merely hypocrisy. If your principles lead you to disapprove of behavior despite the fact that you yourself practice it, this but testifies to the sincerity of your beliefs.
                                Greg

Comment

Working...
                                X