Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shame on Dalton Tanonaka

Originally posted by pzarquon
    Just not at 10:32 p.m. on December 15th, 2004, right, Lynn?
    Good Morning PZARQUON! UHHHHHHH, gosh you're absolutely right. However, I apologized to the fact upon getting Dalton's email and his side of the STORY! WAT'S UP PEOPLE? Have a beautiful week!
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I know, Lynn, just pokin' fun. Besides, you're an excellent example of what I'm talking about. Jumping to conclusions may be human, but realizing so and apologizing (in the very next post, even) is divine.

Or something like that.

Comment

I wouldn't go so far as to say Tanonaka "ravaged" his political career--most people will see this as simply boneheaded, not sinister. This whole things makes Tanonaka look bad, but not bad enough for him not to consider running again in two years. I've said it before in this space: Tanonaka has been the strongest Republican challenger to Abercrombie's seat in a long, long time, and I welcome the discourse that might come from a well-contested race between two worthy opponents.

No elected official should ever feel that his seat is his for as long as he wants it. I'm an Abercrombie supporter ('though not strong enough a supporter to actually vote for the guy, I'll admit), and would likely never vote for Tanonaka, but I do want to hear what they have to say, and I do want the constituency to encourage these guys to come out strong on whatever sides of the fence their on. Tanonaka can do a lot in these next two years to improve his chances in 2006 (and I do hope he tries again in 2006), but so far he's doing the opposite.

Come on, Dalton. I know your people are reading this. Howzabout piping in here?
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I'm one to believe that your actions will reflect you abilities (especially when your actions will affect the lives of others). As a human being I think Dalton is as susceptible to mistakes as anyone else and should be forgiven for that. But if his shortsightness caused grief for someone else, can you imagine how his shoot from the hip actions can affect our country if he acted the way he did with global problems?

As for his political aspirations, I do feel his remarks will affect him in later years. I also feel that if Hillary Clinton can forgive Bill for basically cheating on her, I think Neil can forgive Dalton for saying something that shouldn't have been said at all. We all make mistakes but we sometimes have to bear the consequences because not all of us are willing to forgive. And that's too bad for Dalton. You know sometimes a small slip of the tongue can have lasting impressions and for a politician that can be critical. I don't think Dalton has the charisma that Bill Clinton had to weather this one.

I wish Dalton well and hope he does come out of this smelling like roses like Bill did.

I'd still like to have been there to see his face though, had to have been worth a thousand words!
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Though this goes back to an older thread on the Abercrombie/Tanonaka race, I figure this fresher discussion is a better place to note an update to the campaign finance allegations that surfaced last year.

Tanonaka inquiry a federal case now
            Derrick DePledge, Honolulu Advertiser, Wednesday, January 12, 2005
            The investigation was triggered by a complaint from Tanonaka's former campaign manager, who told the state Campaign Spending Commission that Tanonaka intentionally violated state law by disguising and not reporting loans to his unsuccessful campaign. The commission voted in October to refer the complaint to the city prosecutor's office, but three sources, who spoke on the condition that they not be named because the investigation is in progress, said that the matter has since been turned over to federal investigators.

Comment

Yes indeedy!
              The article also notes
              "The federal probe is examining the sources of Tanonaka's loans and whether he improperly moved loans from others through his bank to his campaign. Investigators are also looking into loans Tanonaka made to his failed 2004 campaign for U.S. Congress against U.S. Rep. Neil Abercrombie, D-Hawai'i."
              and
              "Tanonaka has not fully detailed all of the sources for his campaign loans and he and his attorney have given conflicting explanations for two loans in 2002 that have been publicly documented through the civil lawsuit."
              Perhaps all of this is why he never responded to the newspapers regarding his gaffe about Abercrombie. Funny, though, that Tanonaka has time to send a private e-mail to one of the readers here, but not enough time to go public.
              Hmmmmm...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                Yes indeedy!
                Funny, though, that Tanonaka has time to send a private e-mail to one of the readers here, but not enough time to go public.
                Hmmmmm...
                Hmmmmm too. Anytime I get to be the one referring to in anything, it involves me! I am Aunty Lynn,1st wahine, Bitch and mom of three soldiers! I live MWH, no bada me! nah, joke. When the accusations came out, Dalton didn't miss a beat, he held a television conference telling his side of the story and asked for the investigations to begin prior to the election. Rumors in anything is worse than the enemy! I'm certain that with time and when the truth comes out, Dalton will be found innocent. In America, one who is accused, is innocent until proven guilty! I will stand by Dalton as I firmly believe he is a victim of a Smear. Like you, I await the results. As far as Dalton sending me a private emails...you jealous?hahahahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                  As far as Dalton sending me a private emails...you jealous?hahahahahaha
                  Not the teeniest tiniest little bit. Several of us continue to wonder why he didn't respond publicly about his Abercrombie gaffe. He had the time to reply to you personally but not to address the public? That's just... odd.

Comment

Not the teeniest tiniest little bit. Several of us continue to wonder why he didn't respond publicly about his Abercrombie gaffe. He had the time to reply to you personally but not to address the public? That's just... odd.
                    As I stated earlier, he held a new's conference to defend himself, asked the authorities to open and investigate the accusations asap...which wasn't done. He doesn't need to explain himself in a Public Forum anymore or any other place for that matter. The FBI and Courts whichever one will justify the rumors for what they are, FALSE! As far as replying to me personally...that's just odd? I humbly admit I am, 100% ODD!

Sorry Dalton, I just had to sly that one in!hehehehehehheheheheheheheheheheheheh

Oh! GOD BLESS EVERYONE,GOD BLESS AMERICA. In the name of Jesus I pray.

Comment

That social gaffe that Tanonaka made over Abercrombie's mother's death is one thing. Now he's undergoing investigation by the feds for disguising and hiding loans made to his unsuccessful campaign.

His former campaign manager blew the whistle on him, although Tanonaka claims the allegations are false and just a way for the ex-campaign manager to stir up problems (they are in civil litigation now over alleged unpaid bills).

The lack of an apology to Abercrombie pales in comparison to the doodoo he'll be in if he's found guilty of campaign fraud. If he is found guilty, I don't think he can get away with pleading ignorance over this one.

Miulang

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../ln/ln01p.html
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                        That social gaffe that Tanonaka made over Abercrombie's mother's death is one thing. Now he's undergoing investigation by the feds for disguising and hiding loans made to his unsuccessful campaign.

His former campaign manager blew the whistle on him, although Tanonaka claims the allegations are false and just a way for the ex-campaign manager to stir up problems (they are in civil litigation now over alleged unpaid bills).

The lack of an apology to Abercrombie pales in comparison to the doodoo he'll be in if he's found guilty of campaign fraud. If he is found guilty, I don't think he can get away with pleading ignorance over this one.

Miulang

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../ln/ln01p.html
                        DODO yeah, if found guilty. I stand by Dalton Tanonaka and if they find him GUILTY...then let the shit fly on me too! I believe in my heart that he is innocent. As far as his mistake against Abrocombie, he is human and we all tend to make mistakes. However, I believe an apology was warrented for the mistake. Plainly put, Make Ass. Better to be left without saying or causing anymore kakas as it is already.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                          As I stated earlier, he held a new's conference to defend himself, asked the authorities to open and investigate the accusations asap...which wasn't done. He doesn't need to explain himself in a Public Forum anymore or any other place for that matter.
                          Okay, what I'd like to ask you to do is to please re-read my earlier posts, k? I thought I made it really clear several times that I was referring to the Abercrombie gaffe, not to the other charges. I'm very well aware that Dalton held a news conference on the charges, but that's not what we're talking about.
                          We're talking about why he never said anything publicly... about... the... Abercrombie... gaffe.
                          See?

Comment

Perhaps all of this is why he never responded to the newspapers regarding his gaffe about Abercrombie. Funny, though, that Tanonaka has time to send a private e-mail to one of the readers here, but not enough time to go public. Hmmmmm...
                            I know this thread is about SHAME ON TANONAKA regarding ABROCROMBIE...I don't want to be stupid or anything but the above is what you submitted, isn't it? And wasn't I the reader you was referring too? Thank you.

Comment

I've obviously muddled things by adding the campaign finance investigation into this thread about missing Abercrombie's personal reasons for missing a vote. Lynn, it seems to me Lika was just pointing out that your "he called a press conference!" responses (posts 22 and especially 24 above) were not related to his (and this thread's) original point: he didn't call a press conference to apologize to Abercrombie.

Believe it or not, it sounds to me like you both agree he should have.

Lynn, let me know if I've misread your posts. On the two issues, your position is as follows:
                              1. Tanonaka's Abercrombie gaffe: "I believe an apology was warrented for the mistake. Plainly put, Make Ass. Better to be left without saying or causing anymore kakas as it is already."
                              2. Tanonaka's campaign finance investigation: "I'm certain that with time and when the truth comes out, Dalton will be found innocent... I will stand by Dalton as I firmly believe he is a victim of a Smear."
                              Obviously, the latter is more serious, and you (and others) are wise to reserve judgement. But on the former and original topic, I don't think anyone here has said that Tanonaka's decision to remain silent (or to make excuses) after unfairly attacking Abercrombie was a smart one. Okay? We're all on the same page.

So, that's where Lika's earlier comment comes in: Why did Tanonaka take the time to personally offer an explanation to someone here based on what was posted, without making an official statement or public mea culpa (be it here, or via any other public means)?

Apart from what you received directly, Lynn - and it could've been anyone, this isn't about you - the Tanonaka camp has made no outright admission of error. In the eyes of the public, they left things hanging unpleasantly on the Abercrombie attack. It's odd that they'd be willing to say something behind the scenes, when it would be a good thing to say to everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                                Apart from what you received directly, Lynn - and it could've been anyone, this isn't about you - the Tanonaka camp has made no outright admission of error. In the eyes of the public, they left things hanging unpleasantly on the Abercrombie attack.
                                PZARQUON, I apologize. Only you know what has been happening as far as me seeing or interpreting things. I guess I got a bit angry when I saw the post, "of a reader here receiving a personal email"...that is only me! I got on the offensive and wasted alot of energy. Still, with all due respect, I will support Dalton Tanonaka! I apologize if I misunderstood anyone. K...nuff?

Comment

Working...
                                X