Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How about reinstating capital punishment in Hawaii?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: How about reinstating capital punishment in Hawaii?

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
    Nobu are you and Sansei one and the same?...just asking.
    Hi D'Alani,
    No, we are not the same person. While I am a sansei, but of mixed ethnic, I am not that person. I live on the Island of Kauai, but originally, I was raised mostly in Kalihi, up in the valley, and I am a Farrington HS grad.

I should pay more attention to Sansei's posts. I did not see any similarity, but if he is a sansei, that should put him in a similar age category as I am unless he is a generation younger, and his grandparents came to Hawaii after the plantation days.
    Nobu

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
      Nobu are you and Sansei one and the same?...just asking.
      D'Alani, I think you're on to something, could even be Bobinator too! More truth than poetry in what you ask. Something I have thought for a couple of weeks now. In my opinion there are at least a couple of alter egos posting on HT with different screen names. The Internet is not for the naive or weak of heart.
      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
        D'Alani, I think you're on to something, could even be Bobinator too! More truth than poetry in what you ask. Something I have thought for a couple of weeks now. In my opinion there are at least a couple of alter egos posting on HT with different screen names. The Internet is not for the naive or weak of heart.
        Hi Matapule,
        Sorry to disappoint you, but I am not any of them. I have only one pseudo on HT, and that is "Nobunaga". But you can call me "Nobu" instead.

I am amused and amazed that there are a couple of people on HT that have similar thoughts or perhaps typing styles that I have. But it might be that those people have the same thoughts on capital punishment?

Anyway, Thanx!
        Aloha,
        Nobu

Comment

Credentials: I am a Simi Valley resident during the Rodney King trials and riots. You weren't.

So... blame white cops by beating a black man high on PCP and almost killing cops and innocent civilians due to his wreckless drugged up behavior, but no one really cared about a white truck driver named Reginald Denny at Florence and Normandie who had a brick thrown at his head by a bunch of mob mentality black racist dumbasses in response to their acquittal. Following this, Rodney King goes on and commits more crimes, and has no money to pay his defense, causing his defense attorney to sue him for failing to pay. I'm pretty sure if ANY of the responding officers were black, LAPD would have been faced with some sort of lawsuit anyway. But in the short amount of time that a crazed criminal is going berzerk high on PCP, no one is going to call the Politically Correct Action Team and bring in a bunch of black LAPD officers to go do the same thing the four accused officers did.

PCP... learn what it does and how it affects a 250 pound man. Are you dumb enough to take him on? LAPD was very close to being justified in shooting King based on his dangerous actions against the public and against the arresting officers. LAPD really got in trouble for using NON-lethal force, such as batons. The police in America are lawfully justified in exercising lethal force for less. The only difference in this case is some idiot who wanted to make a name for himself and videotape an incident that he had no business in.

Rodney King is a piece of garbage. Using him as a defense to any part of an argument is a failure, no matter what point you're trying to prove. I commend the brave HEROES of the LAPD who risked their lives to protect people of Los Angeles from trash like Rodney King.

Best bet is to drop this tangent and stick to the death penalty topic.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
            It is possible the LAPD was the only brutal racist PD in the country but I wouldn't bet on it.
            I tend to think Honolulu PD is not free from this guilt, otherwise there wouldn't be other threads that gripe about their... "poor" performance as a law enforcement agency. Preferential treatment to "locals" (you know, the type that KSSK talks about in their morning news... the child molestors, spousal abusers, etc.) over haoles, tourists and military members is still racism, no matter how the pie is sliced.

The law enforcement agencies that I worked with and volunteered for heard about some of the things they did, and were thoroughly disappointed. We'll leave it at that.
            Last edited by bjd392; October 20, 2010, 01:47 AM.

Comment

The video of the beating of King was very clear. An unresisting man on the ground was brutally beaten by 4 cops. An all white jury let them walk. There just happened to be a camera running when the cops beat King, don't you wonder how many times the same thing has happened when cameras didn't happen to be running. You can't treat people that way on a regular basis. Oh sure you can get away with it once in a while if beating people really appeals to you, and it shouldn't to anybody, especially police officers. All you do by doing that, all the system does by pretending that it isn't happening, is to make riots like the Watts Riots and the King Riots INEVITABLE. It is an investment in chaos that is guaranteed to pay off. Negatively. No, the Honolulu police department does not have a good reputation, either. Neither does the New Orleans police dept. There was some famous personality assessment study that found that the personality to become a criminal and to become a police officer were very similar. In my life I have had contact with a few police officers, some were as polite as can be, some were needlessly rude and antagonistic, inappropriate and unfair, and I am white, Blacks and Hispanics must have it a lot worse. The good cops shouldn't tolerate the bad ones, that only contributes to events like the King riots, yet there is that code of silence. I do know several people who have worked various levels in the justice system, they assure me that cops lie under oath as easily as you or I might order a sandwich. Blind faith in cops is misplaced. Of course, we need them, but like anything or anybody else, they need to be kept under control. Think of what the phrase "police state" means.

Comment

Was going to post a long rant - but don't think it's worth my time or effort

Apparently I am an alien living on a different plane of existence

Comment

Apologies, I was going to edit my last response to a lot less abrasive form but the time limit expired. I do apologize for being abrasive. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
                    Was going to post a long rant - but don't think it's worth my time or effort
                    Oh come on! If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well!

Apparently I am an alien living on a different plane of existence
                    Aren't we all.
                    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by bjd392 View Post
                      Credentials: I am a Simi Valley resident during the Rodney King trials and riots. You weren't.

So... blame white cops by beating a black man high on PCP and almost killing cops and innocent civilians due to his wreckless drugged up behavior, but no one really cared about a white truck driver named Reginald Denny at Florence and Normandie who had a brick thrown at his head by a bunch of mob mentality black racist dumbasses in response to their acquittal. Following this, Rodney King goes on and commits more crimes, and has no money to pay his defense, causing his defense attorney to sue him for failing to pay. I'm pretty sure if ANY of the responding officers were black, LAPD would have been faced with some sort of lawsuit anyway. But in the short amount of time that a crazed criminal is going berzerk high on PCP, no one is going to call the Politically Correct Action Team and bring in a bunch of black LAPD officers to go do the same thing the four accused officers did.

PCP... learn what it does and how it affects a 250 pound man. Are you dumb enough to take him on? LAPD was very close to being justified in shooting King based on his dangerous actions against the public and against the arresting officers. LAPD really got in trouble for using NON-lethal force, such as batons. The police in America are lawfully justified in exercising lethal force for less. The only difference in this case is some idiot who wanted to make a name for himself and videotape an incident that he had no business in.

Rodney King is a piece of garbage. Using him as a defense to any part of an argument is a failure, no matter what point you're trying to prove. I commend the brave HEROES of the LAPD who risked their lives to protect people of Los Angeles from trash like Rodney King.

Best bet is to drop this tangent and stick to the death penalty topic.
                      Hi BJD392,
                      On the Rodney King incident, the video shown to the public did not show what happened prior to the stoppage and beating of Rodey King. That is a given. However, if you viewed the tape and saw the second half of the story, you would have seen a point where King was laying on the ground, hardly moving, when he was kicked. I think anyone who viewed that, would say the kick was unnecessary.

PCP "angel dust" is a very dangerous drug, and even a person laying on the ground looking helpless can be dangerous. I was not at the trial, and I did not hear all of the testimony, nor did I have first hand knowledge of the evidences. I only saw the video like most of the rest of our society. Seeing only the video will definitely give you only one side of the story.

BTW, I was in Atlanta, GA during the time of the Rodney King uprising. It was a fiasco there,
                      Nobu

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
                        The video of the beating of King was very clear. An unresisting man on the ground was brutally beaten by 4 cops. An all white jury let them walk. There just happened to be a camera running when the cops beat King, don't you wonder how many times the same thing has happened when cameras didn't happen to be running. You can't treat people that way on a regular basis. Oh sure you can get away with it once in a while if beating people really appeals to you, and it shouldn't to anybody, especially police officers. All you do by doing that, all the system does by pretending that it isn't happening, is to make riots like the Watts Riots and the King Riots INEVITABLE. It is an investment in chaos that is guaranteed to pay off. Negatively. No, the Honolulu police department does not have a good reputation, either. Neither does the New Orleans police dept. There was some famous personality assessment study that found that the personality to become a criminal and to become a police officer were very similar. In my life I have had contact with a few police officers, some were as polite as can be, some were needlessly rude and antagonistic, inappropriate and unfair, and I am white, Blacks and Hispanics must have it a lot worse. The good cops shouldn't tolerate the bad ones, that only contributes to events like the King riots, yet there is that code of silence. I do know several people who have worked various levels in the justice system, they assure me that cops lie under oath as easily as you or I might order a sandwich. Blind faith in cops is misplaced. Of course, we need them, but like anything or anybody else, they need to be kept under control. Think of what the phrase "police state" means.
                        Hi Kalalau,
                        I saw the same video, and came to the same conclusion that you did. However, BJD392 had a much better view of the case than we did. King was high on PCP. I don't know if you know the effects of PCP. but it is a very dangerous drug.
                        http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/lsd/f/lsd_faq05.htm

What you must remember, is we were not sitting in the courtroom to listen to the testimony, or view the actual evidences. All we saw, was the video. The video does not tell the whole story.
                        Nobu

Comment

Originally posted by bjd392 View Post
                          I tend to think Honolulu PD is not free from this guilt, otherwise there wouldn't be other threads that gripe about their... "poor" performance as a law enforcement agency. Preferential treatment to "locals" (you know, the type that KSSK talks about in their morning news... the child molestors, spousal abusers, etc.) over haoles, tourists and military members is still racism, no matter how the pie is sliced.

The law enforcement agencies that I worked with and volunteered for heard about some of the things they did, and were thoroughly disappointed. We'll leave it at that.
                          Hi BJD392.
                          I happen to agree with your post, but other than agreement, I will not get into it much because it might steer us off topic. HPD has made major strides in getting better about racial or ethnic discrimination over the years, to the point where most of it is not visible anymore.
                          Nobu

Comment

• Nowhere in the nation would this case beget a death sentence... BUT.

Hi Everyone,
                            In the case of Vernon Bartley:
                            http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/global/...asp?s=12086560

The murderer was only 15 years old when he committed his vicious act of rape, robbery, and murder. Because of the laws in this nation, no juvenile offender can get a death sentence anymore, and I don't think there are any exceptions.

Still, using common sense, this Bartley, now a young adult, who admitted to the crime, will serve some time in prison. Hopefully, it will be a lot of time if it isn't the rest of his life. BUT, if he gets out, who would give him a job even if he is trained or skilled to do something? What is the purpose of incarcerating him for the rest of his life? Punishment?

Does anyone feel sorry for this vicious "child"????

This is the reason I propose one court where we all face should we commit a crime, and that a death sentence for certain crimes like this should be an exerciseable option. Age should be a consideration, but it should never be a restriction. Let's get rid of the Juvenile Courts and have ONE criminal court.
                            Nobu

Comment

Word just in:

CT Court decision: Death Penalty for Steven Hayes.

If there was any time this should be used, this would be the case. The verdicts for the >14 separate counts against him were all eligible for death sentences. The Jury did it right.

Comment

I'm still new here, but I'll wade into this discussion.
                                I feel that the death penalty can be a justified form of punishment and should in an option in cases of extreme violence coupled with a murder. For example, anything that involves torture or deprivation of the victim, rape/murder, clear case of being a serial killer, such like that. I do not feel that children should get a death sentence, nor should the legitimately mentally retarded. Also, I feel that the appeals process for those convicted could be shortened in some cases. If a defendant is stone cold guilty without a shadow of a doubt, why wait 20 years? If there is doubt as to guilt or the possibility of evidence to prove innocence in the future, then speeding up the execution would not be an option. Also, I would give inmates on death row to pack it in early if they so chose. Many would not chose to lose any extra time they had, but some might just because they are tired of the monotony.
                                I'm all for the vindication of the innocent, as all people should be, but seeing the photos from cases in my husband's books and being an avid reader of true crime reports, I strongly believe the death penalty has it's place in American society.

Comment

Working...
                                X