Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ban on Toy Guns?

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    Frankly, what I see are a bunch of so-called adults over-reacting. I'm not saying it should be ignored, but trying to create a world where kids can't get themselves into trouble is futile.
    America is becoming a place of more and more restriction in many traditional things while at the same time more freedom in non-traditional things. Perhaps this is what the Liberal/Conservative battle is all about. Cons want to keep what they have, Libs want to discard the old and make everything new.

Do away with fireworks, guns (even toy guns), make people wear helmets...

BUT! Allow same-sex couples to marry, adopt; grant immunity to illegal aliens; forgive financial criminals (if they are big enough and wrecked enough lives); release murderers.

Whereas some of these changes can be adequately justified under the principles of American Democracy, others cannot.

I think the questions we fail to ask, and the answers we fail to examine are:

Why? And why not? What will happen if we do or don't, and what impact will it have on our way of life?

I can justify banning toy guns at school - school is for growing and learning to be a part of society. I can't justify expulsion for it - it's counter-productive. I can't justify banning the sale of toy guns to minors, or the "zero-tolerance" policy that makes drawing a picture of a gun the same as having one (my son got caught on that one).

Motorcycle helmets? ONLY protect the riders, can't they be responsible for their own safety? Should we also require helmets for people climbing trees or using ladders? I'll bet more people have died from the latter two than the former. But I'm getting OT....

WHY this ban on toy guns? Have there been incidents where someone was seriously hurt or killed? Or is this just another Liberal "Let's ban it for everyone because we don't like it!"?Why this pressure to restrict, restrict, restrict? It looks sinister and knee-jerk to me. (Let's ban scissors, because some child may run with them!)

I want a good reason. NOT speculation, not guesses, not "because we can."

A logical answer to a simple, logical "why?"

K->
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
      It's reached the tipping point were everybody needs to be armed with toy guns, to even the playing field...
      All I can say about your posting is ....
      Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
        WHY this ban on toy guns?
        Oh they are not banning toy guns, they are banning the selling of a toy gun to a minor. Minor's can still have the toy guns, just don't be a store caught selling one to them.

Comment

Motorcycle helmets? ONLY protect the riders, can't they be responsible for their own safety?.........A logical answer to a simple, logical "why?"
          Had you taken the time to become informed, you would have learned the reason why helmets are required.

Those that didn't wear a helmet in an obviously dangerous situation, tended to be those (by a vast majority) who lived life on the wild side, the chance-takers, the "go to hell" opinion. These are the same people who tended (by a vast majority) to be those who refused to purchase the required insurance to operate a motorcycle. When these people were in an accident, they then became wards of the general public who gave them "free" service, to patch them up and/or provide life-long care as disabled, when they didn't have insurance and couldn't pay for their own care. It was Reagan and the Rethugs and the majority conservatives who pushed for the helmet laws as a means of getting the Federal and State governments out of the welfare business and push that responsibility on the individual by requiring a helmet. And it worked! Motorcycle injuries have been significantly reduced over the years as a result of helmet laws. It is one of the few things I agree with from the Reagan regime.
          Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
            Oh they are not banning toy guns, they are banning the selling of a toy gun to a minor. Minor's can still have the toy guns, just don't be a store caught selling one to them.
            Yes, I've read the whole thread, and even mentioned in my post I was against the proposed ban on selling toy guns to minors:

"I can't justify banning the sale of toy guns to minors,"

What I was asking for was a justification; what is the logical goal of such a proposal? What will it accomplish?

To me it just looks like a stupid and arbitrary waste of taxpayer dollars.
            ~ ~

Comment

I was just trying to add my 2 cents about out how idiotic the bill is.

Comment

Looks like the bill has been shot dead.

Sen. Roz Baker proposed amendments to the bill before the vote to clarify that it would affect only replica firearms, not brightly colored water guns or Nerf rifles.

Supporters have said the bill's intent was to ensure guns that look real don't get into the hands of children without a parent's permission.

Maybe they should have been less sloppy and wrote the bill carefully to begin with. Either they're idiots, or they weren't serious about pushing the bill.
                "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                "
                Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
                  Looks like the bill has been shot dead.
                  Maybe they should have been less sloppy and wrote the bill carefully to begin with. Either they're idiots, or they weren't serious about pushing the bill.
                  WOW! What a surprise...

"Shot Dead" - with water? Or did they mix some hydrogen peroxide in?

Thanks, Joe!
                  ~ ~

Comment

deleted my post as I read the complete thread and everything I said was already discussed.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                      "Shot Dead" - with water? Or did they mix some hydrogen peroxide in?
                      Just plain old water, because I suspect the bill was drafted on toilet paper.

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                      deleted my post as I read the complete thread and everything I said was already discussed.
                      Glad to see you here anyways, Craig
                      "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                      "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                      "
                      Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Working...
                      X