Case v. Gabbard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Case v. Gabbard

Gabbard's karaoke ads are definitely not winning over any voters in my unscientific sampling of people with scruples. My wife nearly broke our TV throwing something at it the other night. What is Gabbard gunning for, again? Hawaii Stars or the U.S. Capitol?

I suppose it's supposed to be a strong "counterprogramming" move versus his image in some circles as the opposite of "aloha." But it strikes me as silly,especially since he has so much more of his platform to get out there than he has so far.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
      Ed Case sent out the following e-mail blast yesterday:
      Would it be possible to get a copy of that email so I can post it elsewhere? On second thought, I may just post a link to here and leave it at that. Thanks.
      He leo wale no...

Comment

Gabbard's karaoke ads are definitely not winning over any voters in my unscientific sampling of people with scruples. My wife nearly broke our TV throwing something at it the other night. What is Gabbard gunning for, again? Hawaii Stars or the U.S. Capitol?

I suppose it's supposed to be a strong "counterprogramming" move versus his image in some circles as the opposite of "aloha." But it strikes me as silly,especially since he has so much more of his platform to get out there than he has so far.
        I'm getting deja vu again. I predict there will be more ads/newspieces of him playing the guitar, pushing his CD, and leveling accusations toward his opponent and labeling opposing voters extremists, racists, et al. I also predict his evading direct answers to issues that require any amount of deep thought or focused visioning. Lastly, there will be a "media blitz" of advertisements, mass mailings, articles and sound bytes all extolling his morals and values ad nauseum.

NO, I am not psychic or psycho. LOL I just lived it and so far the pattern of previous tactics are becoming more and more apparent.
        He leo wale no...

Comment

Here's a direct link to the clip. It's essentially an allegation at this point, rather than an independent and full federal investigation.
          A civil rights activist has filed a complaint against Republican congressional candidate Mike Gabbard, accusing him of breaking federal election laws. the complaint alleges donors with modest paying jobs may be illegally used as conduits to funnel contributions to the Gabbard campaign.
          The reporter singles out a few entries from Gabbard's filings. Among the people giving big chunks of cash were a Kailua housekeeper, a Kailua landscaper, a Honolulu accupuncturist, a Makawao (Maui) landscaper, a Pahoa carpenter, a self-employed secretary in Keaau, and a self-employed jewelry designer also in Keaau. All gave $2,000.

Gabbard says the man, Alex Achmat (?), a resident of Hawi on the Big Island, is a sign thief. Um. How this is a response to the fundraising allegations is beyond me.

Comment

When I saw Gabbard with his guitar, the 1992 movie Bob Roberts came to mind.

Bob Roberts
            Last edited by BKHale2007; October 6, 2004, 06:02 AM.

Comment

American Idol, Senior Citizens' Edition?

Comment

Here's a direct link to the clip. It's essentially an allegation at this point, rather than an independent and full federal investigation.
                The reporter singles out a few entries from Gabbard's filings. Among the people giving big chunks of cash were a Kailua housekeeper, a Kailua landscaper, a Honolulu accupuncturist, a Makawao (Maui) landscaper, a Pahoa carpenter, a self-employed secretary in Keaau, and a self-employed jewelry designer also in Keaau. All gave $2,000.

Gabbard says the man, Alex Achmat (?), a resident of Hawi on the Big Island, is a sign thief. Um. How this is a response to the fundraising allegations is beyond me.
                Similar themes exist from last election. Here's a quick flashback of a couple of items of interest relating to the Gabbard animetronics (play on word intentional ) that was found on the Campaign Spending Commission's website.
                He leo wale no...

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard
                  American Idol, Senior Citizens' Edition?
                  Hmmm... more like Hawai'i Stars or Star Search IMHO. LOL
                  He leo wale no...

Comment

The campaign violations accusation makes the Star-Bulletrin.

http://starbulletin.com/2004/10/13/news/index8.html

Comment

I know we have some local tv types in here, so maybe someone can provide an approximate answer to this. Those ads he's running during primetime news can't be too cheap, right? Anyone know what the rates are like for spots like his during those hours?

Reason I ask, I wonder how he's paying for those ads.
                      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by BKHale2007
                        The campaign violations accusation makes the Star-Bulletrin.

http://starbulletin.com/2004/10/13/news/index8.html
                        I just read the article. I believe it is a common tactic when independent advocates do their own investigations of government or political wrongdoing, a common tactic among the target of an investigation is to accuse the "advocate" of harassment, stalking, etc. to discourage further digging. I'm a layperson, and I truly hope that this fellow didn't go overboard emotionally if he was truly on to something

Comment

Gabbard Seeks Debate With Case

http://www.hawaiireporter.com/story.aspx?title=Ed+Case%e2%80%99s+Claims+Regardin g+the+PBS+Political+Forum+are+'Shibai'

Comment

This might be a better link.
                            Case and Mike will be squaring off at a forum in Kona on October 18, 2004, sponsored by League of Women Voters, Kona-Kohala Chamber of Commerce, and Kona Outdoor Circle. Case has told the people of Hawaii that Mike refused to allow community television to videotape the presentation. This is a complete falsehood.
                            Oddly enough, as Gabbard debunks Case's claims on the Kona event, the PBS forum mentioned in the headline is only addressed in a tiny sentence at the end. I haven't been tracking this ridiculous back and forth (conducted largely in e-mail, in part because that's the primary way Gabbard wants to work). What did happen to the originally scheduled PBS forum?

Comment

Another blast out of Case... click the "Spoiler" button to read the whole thing. Case to Gabbard #4: Your Claim To Being A "Teacher and Educator":
                              Mike:

Your current TV ad makes the claim that you are a "teacher and educator." Your campaign literature makes the same claim.
                              In neither, nor in your website nor anywhere else, do you specify where and how you were or are either a teacher or an educator. That is why I asked you the following questions in my July 21st email:

- At which schools have you worked, during which years, and what were your job titles and responsibilities?

- You've stated that you were affiliated with the "Ponomauloa School" in Wahiawa; what type of school was that, what years was it in existence, and what were your responsibilities and in what years?

You have not answered these questions nor offered any other information justifying your claim to being a "teacher and educator." Please answer these questions, along with this additional question:

- Are you or have you ever been licensed or certified as a teacher in Hawaii or elsewhere?

If you do not answer these questions and provide information justifying your claim, I will comment publicly that you have misled those you wish to represent and others.

With aloha,

Ed Case
                              The bit about Ponomauloa School is pretty interesting. Google turns up no sign that it existed - whether a web page or a reference to it in crawled government documents - beyond Gabbard's bio and of course Case's challenge. A search of the DCCA website shows an entry for Ponomauloa School, but after it was incorporated on Aug. 24, 1983, it seems the state never heard from it again (1985, 1987, 1988, 1989) before it was "involuntarily dissolved" on Feb. 28, 1990. The mailing address for this "school" was a P.O. box in Wahiawa.

Gabbard's bio claims he was a "headmaster/teacher" at this place from July 1983 (starting before it was incorporated?) to June 1987. Curious. Does "headmaster" mean "person who has the P.O. box key"?
                              Last edited by pzarquon; October 15, 2004, 11:45 AM.

Comment

A search of the DCCA website shows an entry for Ponomauloa School, but after it was incorporated on Aug. 24, 1983, it seems the state never heard from it again (1985, 1987, 1988, 1989) before it was "involuntarily dissolved" on Feb. 28, 1990. The mailing address for this "school" was a P.O. box in Wahiawa.
                                Some might say it was a charter or private school run for children of SIF (I wouldn't know either way myself), but just like many things concerning MG, there are big, vague gaps in his bio that cannot be explained even with research of public records. Strange considering this is someone who wants to run for a federal public office.
                                Last edited by Vanguard; October 15, 2004, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X