Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lingle/Harbin debacle

Originally posted by lavagal
    I would never run for office. If appointed, I'd have to decline. And it's not because of crimes I've committed. It's those damn pictures boyfriend one has. I just don't trust that guy. Wish I still looked that good.
    And you know, on the Internet pictures never fade.

Comment

yer right. they are just enhanced and heavily disseminated!

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
        yer right. they are just enhanced and heavily disseminated!

I could deny it's even me! But then, I'd probably kinda like how I looked! What a conflict!
        I could just, you know, write a caption that read something like "Never wrote bad checks. Always paid my taxes. Didn't have my employees install bad car parts." Stuff like that!
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Looks like the Governor will end up with egg on her face. But rather than let this issue turn into something even worse, maybe she should just stop saying anything and let the voters decide in 2006 if Harbin really should remain in office or not.

In the meantime, I think the Governor had better work with the Legislature to ensure that the process of vetting is strictly adhered to for future appointees. According to the Advertiser story, the ommissions about the shady tax deals would not preclude Harbin from office, unless the Governor declared that Harbin obtained office through fraud. Why she didn't set up a bipartisan review panel to look at replacements for Hiraki as she did when she replaced the Molokai legislator is questionable too. Was it political expediency? Owing someone a favor?

"...Lingle explained yesterday in a radio interview that she asked Harbin to resign because she felt Harbin misrepresented herself while being considered for the appointment. House leaders would likely not attempt to censure or expel Harbin for her past behavior, but might act if the governor were to claim the appointment was obtained through fraud. Under that option, a House select committee would likely be named to review the appointment and recommend any punishment...."

If a House select committee was enpaneled, and since the Democrats are already upset about Harbin, more than likely they would want to get rid of her and replace her with someone more in line with their party platform.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
            And not doing any financial checks? C'mon, they were part of my hiring process, and I'm just a mid-level geek at a small local company.
            Yes, but you work at a financial institution. I suppose the argument could be made that the legislature is the largest financial institution in the state, but.

There's no question Governor Lingle blew this one, and I have a great solution for her. Let her have it with both barrels. Sure, she made the appointment, and sure, she made a gross error, but come back out and fire away with everything she's got, and it may make her look tough and gain her back some of the credibility she's lost.

The governer's already got a ton of campaign money; I think she should use it (if that's legal) to pressure Harbin to step aside or to pressure the public into recalling Harbin.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
              The governer's already got a ton of campaign money; I think she should use it (if that's legal) to pressure Harbin to step aside or to pressure the public into recalling Harbin.
              Except as Mel clarified, there's no "recall" system available for the Legislature. The Star-Bulletin notes:
              State Attorney General Mark Bennett said there is nothing the governor can do to remove Harbin from office because the state Constitution only allows the governor to fill a vacancy.

The Constitution does permit the Legislature to discipline members, or by a two-thirds vote, expel them for "misconduct, disorderly behavior or neglect of duty," but Bennett said he didn't know if the Legislature could act in this case.
              Harbin keeps saying she just wants to put this all behind her and focus on the needs of her constituents. But how can she serve her constituents if they don't trust her? Or, more practically, if no one on either side of the aisle in the House will work with her? She should be able to see pretty clearly that she cannotbe an effective legislator, so it's clear she's hanging on purely out of pride, spite, and a hope to milk this disaster for all it's worth -- at everyone else's expense.

Comment

But how can she serve her constituents if they don't trust her?
                Well, Ian Lind wrote today about a website that may answer that question: http://harbinforgovernor.blogspot.com/ .

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                  Well, Ian Lind wrote today about a website that may answer that question: http://harbinforgovernor.blogspot.com/ .
                  Even before I got to the note at the bottom, I knew it was Larry Geller's work. Fun, but I hope he continues to put most of his energy into the "Draft Harry Kim" campaign!

I do find it fascinating that no mechanism exists for an inappropriately appointed (or, I guess, elected) lawmaker. I think "misconduct, disorderly behavior or neglect of duty" is a pretty high standard, and unless Harbin works herself into a pretty horrific froth (which she might!), I don't think refusing to resign and giving a big, fat raspberry to the powers that be really cross the line.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui

Gawd what a great comedic web site! This crook is being equated to Lincoln! Ya never know. Looks like a real web site. like the effusive ones for that danny sofa dude. But of course, it's a parody.
                    Last edited by kimo55; September 29, 2005, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Pardon my lack of awareness, but who's Larry Geller?
                      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Hey! Harbin's site has a link to suggest a running mate! Things that make you go, "Hmmmmmm....?!"

I nominate Barney the Purple Dinosaur. Or how about Gilbert Gottfreid? AFLAC!!! AFLAC!!! They could have a commercial with a lame duck screaming, "DEMOCRAT!!! DEMOCRAT!!!"
                        Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
                          Hey! Harbin's site has a link to suggest a running mate! Things that make you go, "Hmmmmmm....?!"
                          I nominate Evan Dobelle.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                            Pardon my lack of awareness, but who's Larry Geller?
                            Sorry. Larry Geller is the wit behind the "Draft Harry Kim" website (see this Star-Bulletin article) and petition. He also writes the excellent FreeRangeGourmet.com blog. A great guy, who wears many hats.

Dobelle's a great match for Harbin... though they'd probably end up killing each other.

Comment

Dobelle's a great match for Harbin... though they'd probably end up killing each other.
                              Yes. That was kinda the idea. Or the hope. Or something li'dat.

Comment

all of this i find deeply entertaining...i grew up with harbin as my "auntie bev"...she tought me how to ride horses, we had my little sister's 1st birthday luau at her house in niu valley (i was 5 and i got to shoot the pig at uncle miguel's pig farm in pupukea) and i've got a million stories...i'll always love her for the fond memories i have growing up on a ranch...i'm definitely staying tuned...i'd offer that, yeah, she blew it on many fronts, but i know her as a person, not an angling politician...shame on the lingle administration for not performing due diligence, and shame on auntie bev for her sins of omission...
                                Don't be mean,
                                try to help.

Comment

Working...
                                X