Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kau inoa

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post

Think bigger. And smarter. And more long term.
    Expand on this for me Puai Mana'o?

I think the Ali'i system should be brought back. Too much individualism will work against Kanaka.

Comment

Re: Kau inoa

Originally posted by PoiBoy View Post
      Expand on this for me Puai Mana'o?

I think the Ali'i system should be brought back. Too much individualism will work against Kanaka.
      Wow! I would not want to see the Ali'i system brought back?

I get hard enough time proving my blood! For all I know they might want to make me a slave!

F-That!

Any way my neighbors wife registered him twice, and he nevah have to sign up in person.

So you guys might be right. I no think these guys have one good system!

Comment

Re: Kau Inoa

This man is proud to wear his Kau Inoa t-shirt!

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I'm not of Hawaiian Ancestry so it took me some time the think of a WIIFM.
          If Hawaiian people had similar status to American Indians then they might be allowed to have a reservation. This be great news because they could allow things that our very restrictive state doesn't. It would also be good because they wouldn't have to charge the state's ripoff taxes on things like alcohol, gasoline, and cigarettes. This means we save real $$$$$ instead of it going to the state and they intern spend it like fools.

Our one party system in the legislature would then have to rethink its current excesses and nanny state attitudes.

Comment

Originally posted by AlohaKine View Post
            Our one party system in the legislature would then have to rethink its current excesses and nanny state attitudes.
            Thats why it probably won't happen. Dan Inouye, the man who probably single handedly started more "nations" in the United States by overseeing the Committee on Native Americans for umpteen years has yet to establish one campsite on a beach in Hawaii.

I think he has always wanted to keep his friends close and his enemies closer and has never had any intention of allowing any Hawaiian Nation to happen. The only way it will happen is if real Hawaiians (50% and up) start getting violent. I'm not suggesting or supporting that. I'm just saying from an intellectual and practical matter, nothing will happen without some civil disobedience.

Inouye already included the line about no gambling in the Akaka Bill just in case it was to pass (like if he died or something and was no longer their to publicly support it but privately kill it).

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
            Interesting. If this is a common perception of Kau Inoa's purpose, they have a lot of work to do.
            Maybe most people don't think of it this way but I think Kau Inoa is at least partially, a way of sticking fingah at all the the 80% of foreigners that make up Hawaii's current population. Those who have tried and succeeded, since statehood, trying to redefine "Hawaiian" as "Local".

Its a way for the people whose families descend from the only real Hawaiians, who descend from the vast majority of Native Hawaiians who signed the Petition protesting the overthrow, to say, heeeeahhh! I got Koko, that is what it means to at least claim to "be Hawaiian". You can be what you want, local or tourist or resident or whatever, but you cannot be Hawaiian.

One big middle fingah to all the wannabees.

The Missionaries stole the Kingdom.
            The Plantation Asians are trying to steal the identity.

Kau Inoa to the thiefs.

Comment

Just doing a little research on HT regarding the sovereignty issue, an issue of great interest to me. I think Hawaiians (in the context of Hawaiian blood) were robbed of their land in the past and continue to be robbed today in terms of their culture and heritage.

I am not a Hawaiian wannabe. No Hawaiian blood in me, but would be proud if there were. But I do have empathy for the Polynesian nations and I do have a better understanding of the Polynesian cultures more than most palangis.

Here is my question, primarily for the true Hawaiians on this Forum. How can I, as an outsider, show my solidarity and empathy for the Hawaiians and their quest to achieve dignity and their destiny in their homeland. Is there anything I can do that would be substantive rather than pandering?

Malo 'aupito i Ofa 'atu kakai Hawai'i kaume'a
              Mui Houma matapule o'e nobeli Fakatulolo
              Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

If you live in Hawaii and have no Hawaiian blood, you can leave. If every 'non-Hawaiian' left, Hawaii would have a Hawaiian government by default (no one else left, eh?). There is no better way to support the Hawaiian movement.
                May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                  If you live in Hawaii and have no Hawaiian blood, you can leave. If every 'non-Hawaiian' left, Hawaii would have a Hawaiian government by default (no one else left, eh?). There is no better way to support the Hawaiian movement.
                  Ouch! Maybe you and I should discuss this offline. Appears to be some issues we need to talk about.

Ofa 'atu salmoned
                  Mui Houma

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

i'm assuming that salmoned is kanaka? this is a very sensitive issue for kanaka maoli, matapule, hence the reason for his/her statements. for one to be a "hawai'i national", it is by birth, by naturalization or with dual citizenship. what is misunderstood amongst many is that it is NOT about race. if i were you, i would go to hawaiiankingdom.org and read about our history, constitution, treaties, penal codes and james blount's account of the overthrow of the monarchy etc. to better understand the movement and what it means to ALL of us. the kingdom of hawai'i s 1863 constitution is STILL in effect as of today and so are the treaties with many other nations including the US.
                    Last edited by kani-lehua; May 7, 2008, 02:13 PM.
                    "chaos reigns within.
                    reflect, repent and reboot.
                    order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                      Here is my question, primarily for the true Hawaiians on this Forum. How can I, as an outsider, show my solidarity and empathy for the Hawaiians and their quest to achieve dignity and their destiny in their homeland. Is there anything I can do that would be substantive rather than pandering?

Malo 'aupito i Ofa 'atu kakai Hawai'i kaume'a
                      Mui Houma matapule o'e nobeli Fakatulolo
                      The best you can do as an outsider is to just leave the Kanaka Maoli alone. You can show empathy but don't go marching in their parades. As an outsider you will always be viewed as one so don't try to assimilate into their culture as if trying to become one.

Hawaiians have been robbed of their lands. Yes an overwhelming population voted for statehood but those representative of that vote weren't all the Kanaka Maoli. By then large populations of asians and caucasians moved in and voted accordingly.

Be respectful of their culture and show your support from the distance. When you give people room to breathe, cool heads prevail and dialog can begin. Now is not the time to suggest action for them. But now is the time to show respect for them and give them the space they need to gather up unity and voice their concerns as one.
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
                        i'm assuming that salmoned is kanaka? this is a very sensitive issue for kanaka maoli, matapule, hence the reason for his/her statements. for one to be a "hawai'i national", it is by birth, by naturalization or with dual citizenship. what is misunderstood amongst many is that it is NOT about race.
                        Well then I am confused. According to Wikipedia: "Native Hawaiians (in Hawaiian, kānaka ʻōiwi or kānaka maoli) are "member[s] or descendant[s] of the indigenous Polynesian people of the Hawaiian Islands". This seems to indicate that it IS about race.

I have gone to the Hawai'i Nation website as you suggested and thank you for that. The only way to understand sensitive issues is to discuss then openly and honestly with mutual respect. Yes, I am capable of understanding complex social issues. There are many issues that are sensitive to me, but that doesn't mean I won't discuss them with civility and honor.

Ofa 'atu
                        Mui Houma

Comment

The achilles heal of the sovereignty movement is that it IS rooted in race. Not publicly, not formally, not loudly, not obviously, and if you ask this crucial question, of course, everybody, like kani-lehua, will deny that race is a central concern. Truth is truth, whether or not we choose to acknowledge it.

All that being said, we must remember that race, racism, and racial separatism, in general, have been taking a beating for the last 150 years. Starting with Lincoln, and rolling on through suffragettes, Martin Luther King, rules about ADA, etc etc social perceptions about our differences are waning, even as we intermingle, marry "others", and make babies that look more like rainbows than somebody's notion of what a particular race looks like. I would even go so far as to say that the notion of the Indian Reservation will come under attack in the next 50 years. (And don't quiz me Leo or TuNnL, cuz I know that women and the handicapped are not a race. I'm trying to draw attention to a larger point.) I always laugh when my friend from South Africa says that down there, it is a colloquial expression to refer to Americans as the "mud race". A mere 3 generations from now, those who cling to a sense of racial exclusivity will find themselves more and more adrift from the mainstream of the social evolution of humanity on planet Earth. Sorta like the story of Neanderthal and Cro-Magnon, in a snapshot sort of way.

I will judge you by what you do and say, by your behaviors, morals, and sympathy's. And I will LOOK right through you without seeing your skin, or your hairstyle, or what you are wearing. And I don't really care who your parents were, unless of course I am blessed with the chance to meet them.

Hawaii's history is just a retelling of man's conquest of man, which is the history of the world in a nutshell. It is okay with me if Kau Inoa wants to measure folks using race as the ruler, and koko as the benchmark. But the minute that your sense of exclusivity or entitlement begins to alienate anybody, you are likely to make more enemies than friends.

Respectfully
                          Tim
                          FutureNewsNetwork.com
                          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Many thanks to craig and timkona for saying in two posts what I have been wondering about but afraid to ask.

Comment

Good post, timkona. I was nodding my head whilst reading your words.

A progressive government should be completely race-blind. A progressive government should in no way recognize or work to benefit any particular race. Unfortunately, the Hawaiian sovereignty movements I see today do not embrace this concept, and seem a step backwards from the government we have in Hawaii today.

There is nothing wrong with embracing and being proud of one's heritage or race, but it has no place in government.

I also agree with you that somewhere in the future, Indian reservations will be challenged and eventually abolished.

Comment

[Sorry, I cannot figure out how to put two quotes into the reply.]

[quote=timkona;194577]
                                All that being said, we must remember that race, racism, and racial separatism, in general, have been taking a beating for the last 150 years. Starting with Lincoln, and rolling on through suffragettes, Martin Luther King, rules about ADA, etc etc social perceptions about our differences are waning, even as we intermingle, marry "others", and make babies that look more like rainbows than somebody's notion of what a particular race looks like.
                                [quote]

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                                A mere 3 generations from now, those who cling to a sense of racial exclusivity will find themselves more and more adrift from the mainstream of the social evolution of humanity on planet Earth. Sorta like the story of Neanderthal and Cro-Magnon, in a snapshot sort of way.
                                http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=26323

According to The National Policy Institute, based upon fertility, here is the world in 2060:
                                "In 1950, whites were 28 percent of world population and Africans 9 percent, a ratio of three-to-one. In 2060, the ratio will remain the same. But the colors will be reversed. People of African ancestry will be 25 percent of the world's population. People of European descent will have fallen to 9.8 percent."
                                Two hundred million white people, one in every six on earth will vanish by 2060
                                "Arabic peoples, 94 million at the birth of Israel in 1948, outnumbered seven to one by Europeans, will rise to 743 million in 2060, a tenfold increase, and will be 75 percent of the white population".

"According to the Pew Research Center, the Hispanic population of the United States will triple to 127 million by 2050, as Mexico's population grows to 130 million."
                                These projections are examples of the shake up that is ahead of us worldwide in relation to our current concepts of race and power and control. When looking that the worldwide picture, it adds an element of additional concern for Hawaiians and other smaller population groups.
                                Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Working...
                                X