Case versus Akaka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Case versus Akaka

I wish there was a way with this HT Poll to allow those that posted as undecided... to finally vote for one of the candidates.

Comment

I just saw this on the KITV-4 website:

HONOLULU - U.S. Rep. Ed Case was among the first to cast their votes at Honolulu Hale on Monday. Voting has started at a number of sites around the state.

In Case's contest against incumbent Sen. Dan Akaka, Case is encouraging everyone Democrat, Republican or Independent to pick a Democratic Party ballot.

"This is a choice that is going to be made in the Democratic primary, and it's a choice that is going to influence and impact every voter in Hawaii. So, this should be essentially a general election everybody should vote in this race," Case said.

Case is returning to Washington on Monday night. Congress will be in session in late September.
      -------------------------------------------------------

all I could think of was..................hmmmm.
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

hmm what??? why leave us hanging?

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
          It’s really not that notable considering the democratic insiders he has helping him. The party splinter between Akaka and Case is a lot deeper than is being admitted publicly. Yes, Akaka’s peeps are trying to plug the drain, but no way they going turn off the faucet. Case had a well-connected fundraising team before he won his Congressional seat.

Case will lose a lot of face if he loses this one.
          Just briefly looking at Case's contribution reports, I noticed he has the Batista Cuban fanatic's monies and backing in his pockets plus The Carlyle Group's (via Verizon Inc.'s banking on Case as it led to Hawaiian Telcom) backing. Both no doubt the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the Mr. "Taking Care of Myself First" Case.

Comment

At least he's taking care of something.... More than you can say for Akaka "Mr. Doesn't-do-Diddly-despite-YEARS-of-being-in-office". What a waste of a Senate seat.

Jewlipino

100th POST!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jewlipino
              At least he's taking care of something.... More than you can say for Akaka "Mr. Doesn't-do-Diddly-despite-YEARS-of-being-in-office". What a waste of a Senate seat. My 100th POST!!!!!
              Yes, Case like Lieberman is taking care of radical zionUSt$ in Ersatz Isrealhell; your home away from PI perchance, or you just a wannabe dual (or tri) citizen --- PI USraeli?, then Case--->He's your sack-o-crappolla without a doubt!! What give one PIUSraeli for Hawai'i? Not a shekl, guaranteed!

Your 100th post? Congrats, stick a swab on that bush's behind between your ears.
              Last edited by waioli kai; September 12, 2006, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by waioli kai
                Yes, Case like Lieberman is taking care of radical zionUSt$ in Ersatz Isrealhell; your home away from PI perchance, or you just a wannabe dual (or tri) citizen --- PI USraeli?, then Case--->He's your sack-o-crappolla without a doubt!! What give one PIUSraeli for Hawai'i? Not a shekl, guaranteed!

Your 100th post? Congrats, stick a swab on that bush's behind between your ears.
                So hostile Waioli Kai, don't you know that the first person to throw an insult is the one who loses the argument? FYI I don't support Senator Lieberman and I hope dearly that he loses. He already lost but has gone against his own party (something he is used to doing anyway....)! I was born here, raised here, and have lived here almost continuously, and yes, I care about Hawai'i a lot more than I suspect you would ever give me credit for. I'm beginning to think that splicing my ethnicities into my alias was a mistake (I thought it was funny and sounded like jalepeno...) since you and those like you enjoy poking fun at it. I won't lower myself to a shouting match about this, but I'm gonna see about changing my name so at least you have to be creative about attacking me.

Jewlipino

Jewlipino

Comment

• disparaging words, Re: Case versus Akaka

Originally posted by Jewlipino
                  So hostile Waioli Kai, don't you know that the first person to throw an insult is the one who loses the argument? FYI I don't support Senator Lieberman and I hope dearly that he loses. He already lost but has gone against his own party (something he is used to doing anyway....)! I was born here, raised here, and have lived here almost continuously, and yes, I care about Hawai'i a lot more than I suspect you would ever give me credit for. I'm beginning to think that splicing my ethnicities into my alias was a mistake (I thought it was funny and sounded like jalepeno...) since you and those like you enjoy poking fun at it. I won't lower myself to a shouting match about this, but I'm gonna see about changing my name so at least you have to be creative about attacking me. Jewlipino
                  "So hostile Waioli Kai, don't you know that the first person to throw an insult is the one who loses the argument?"

Being the one initiating insulting and disparaging words upon Mr.Akaka...no links, no substantiations nothing, you invited such upon yourself:
                  Jewlipino --"More than you can say for Akaka "Mr. Doesn't-do-Diddly-despite-YEARS-of-being-in-office". What a waste of a Senate seat.
                  "

Comment

Honolulu Star-Bulletin Endorses Case
                    http://starbulletin.com/2006/09/14/e...itorial01.html

Case is better in Senate for mainstream Hawaii

"LEADERS of Hawaii's Democratic Party were stunned in January when Rep. Ed Case announced he would challenge Sen. Daniel Akaka in his bid for re-election this year. However, his explanation that Hawaii needs to avoid a sudden loss of clout in the Senate while moving beyond the stale, left-right political debate makes sense. Case receives our endorsement.

Both Akaka and Sen. Daniel Inouye turned 82 years old this month, and their longevity in the Senate is limited. If both of their careers end at about the same time, Hawaii would be left with no seniority, the Senate measure of power.

Akaka is an honorable person who has embodied the aloha spirit during his years in Washington. We have endorsed him in past elections over many years, but the time has come for Hawaii to gain representation in the Senate for the next generation."

Yeehaaa! Das why I love The Star-Bulletin. Dey Da people's Newspaper!

Auntie Lynn
                    Last edited by 1stwahine; September 14, 2006, 05:36 AM.
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Akaka is a great guy, and if it weren't for the fact that death or retirement was imminent for both of our illustrious Senators I would vote for him just like I voted for him in the past. But, Hawaii needs Senate influence badly, we can afford to elect do-nothings like Rep. Abercrombie to the House because we have no power there. Anyone notice how Abercrombie got all offended that Case is trying to take his place in line for the Senate? Good politicians don't wait their turn, they take opportunities when they arise. With Lingle eyeing the Senate seat for her post-gubernatorial days and Abercrombie waiting in the wings like a good little machine Democrat, Case's decision to run against Akaka was a good one. With the spectacular failure (preceded by a number of amendments that essentially took away the best parts) of the Akaka Bill I think it is fair to say that even with the weight of Hawaii's political machine behind him, even with the illustrious and powerful Senator Inouye going to bat, Senator Akaka COULD NOT GET THE JOB DONE. When it comes to loyalty in politics mine is only good so long as the person I am being asked to be loyal to is capable of representing me effectively (like Abercrombie, I've never been sure Akaka was very good at that, but I didn't have to worry because we have Inouye.... don't know for how long tho). A vote for Case is a vote for the future, dwelling in the past is for those who enjoy days past when the Machine was unchallenged, Bishop Estate was the unofficial dictator-for-life (Case challenged them.... did Akaka?), and tourism was to be the never ending cash cow for Hawaii. In any case, if I'm wrong, persuade me! I can't think of many great reasons to re-elect Akaka, but maybe other people can and I'd love to hear them.

Comment

Hui! Deep Thought! I like you Screen Name. I like your style. Plezzzzzzzzzz......keep typing!!!!!

Love and Aloha

Auntie Lynn
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

• Re: disparaging words, Re: Case versus Akaka

"So hostile Waioli Kai, don't you know that the first person to throw an insult is the one who loses the argument?"
                          Being the one initiating insulting and disparaging words upon Mr.Akaka...no links, no substantiations nothing, you invited such upon yourself:
                          Jewlipino --"More than you can say for Akaka "Mr. Doesn't-do-Diddly-despite-YEARS-of-being-in-office". What a waste of a Senate seat.
                          I have to agree with waioli kai on this one, jewlipino. You brought this on yourself by throwing down a major insult to Dan Akaka. That still would not have been a problem if you backed it up with evidence. You didn’t. So basically, you just made an offensive statement, and waioli kai called you on it.

Personally, I can name at least a dozen major accomplishments of Sen. Akaka including securing funding for No Child Left Behind programs, a $36 million demonstration project for ethanol from sugar cane, and the H-3 freeway.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                          USA TODAY, page 2A
                          11 March 1993

Comment

• bogUS logic Case, Re: Case versus Akaka

Originally posted by Deep Thought
                            A vote for Case is a vote for the future, dwelling in the past is for those who enjoy days past when the Machine was unchallenged, Bishop Estate was the unofficial dictator-for-life (Case challenged them.... did Akaka?), and tourism was to be the never ending cash cow for Hawaii. In any case, if I'm wrong, persuade me! I can't think of many great reasons to re-elect Akaka, but maybe other people can and I'd love to hear them.
                            How was Bishop Estate "the unofficial dictator-for-life" ?

With Henry Peters, Dickie Wong, Lokelani Lindsey and sometimes Gerry Jervis running the Trustees, Bishop Estate was for awhile definitely perverted toward despicable ends and at least three of them should have been severely punished for what they did to the Estate, to Kamehameha Schools and to Hawaiians, as well as what they did to the State of Hawaii.

Bishop Estate and those for whom Princess Pauahi and her husband set up the estate were the victims of some horrible, dishonorable trustees. Only one trustee, Oswald Stender, consistently honored and helped restore the originally intended mission of the estate.

Governor Ben Cayetano and his Attorney General Margery Bronster challenged the corrupt trustees/their lawyers and did a lot more than just challenge them. What was Ed Case doing in the legislature at the time to significantly assist the State to take down those trustees?
                            "Case has stated that although he has the deepest respect for Akaka, Hawaii is in a time of transition with regard to the state's representation in Congress and especially in the Senate. This transition requires that Hawaii phases in the next generation to provide continuity in that service. Case warned the state would lose all clout in Washington if the state's two US Senators, both of whom are over 80 years old, leave office within a short time of each other."

For the Edward Espenett Case fearmongers to say that "Hawaii is in a time of transition with regard to the state's representation in Congress" is supposed to be a revelation of sort? Case himself created the current transitory (but are we to presume scary and alarming as well ? ) aspects with regard to the state's representation in Congress".

Every second of Life, every moment of time is transition. Case is no god who going to lead Hawaii to a transitionless state of existence. By Case's measure, Hawaii cannot survive without his attaining a seat in the U.S. Senate. Suppose Case were to scare enough votes out of a gullible electorate (to add to his corporate, AIPAC, Republican primary ticket crossovers) to get himself and his staff into the U.S. Senate, but then he himself perishes in some mishap or other misfortune,,,"oh my gawd, what are we going to do now?? where is our continuity??" Somehow Case has his folks falling for his bogus logic that he simultaneously represents continuity and transition.
                            Last edited by waioli kai; September 14, 2006, 11:46 PM.

Comment

I really wish people would stop throwing around the charge of "do-nothing" with regard to our Congressional delegation. It's a political reality that all four are Democrats, and as such have been in the minority party in the House since 1994 and in the Senate for much of the past six years (at least). Given that Dennis Hastert (Speaker of the House) and Tom DeLay (until his departure under ethical fire) run that body as a strictly Republican sandbox, there's very little a Democrat can do.

The Senate has different rules, so the minority party has more sway, but it's still a fact that there are currently 55 Republican Senators, so no Dem can get much done without strong persuasion skills and a little luck.
                              http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

• Re: bogUS logic Case, Re: Case versus Akaka

How was Bishop Estate "the unofficial dictator-for-life" ?
                                Sorry I shouldn't have just spouted that off. The amount of influence that Bishop Estate wielded is, to me (doesn't have to be for you or anyone else), a disturbing element to exist in a representative democracy.
                                With Henry Peters, Dickie Wong, Lokelani Lindsey and sometimes Gerry Jervis running the Trustees, Bishop Estate was for awhile definitely perverted toward despicable ends and at least three of them should have been severely punished for what they did to the Estate, to Kamehameha Schools and to Hawaiians, as well as what they did to the State of Hawaii.
                                They still haven't been punished. There was little follow through after the trustees were removed.
                                Bishop Estate and those for whom Princess Pauahi and her husband set up the estate were the victims of some horrible, dishonorable trustees. Only one trustee, Oswald Stender, consistently honored and helped restore the originally intended mission of the estate.
                                What is the intent of the estate? The Will, if taken at face value, would create an institution far different from the one we see today.
                                Governor Ben Cayetano and his Attorney General Margery Bronster challenged the corrupt trustees/their lawyers and did a lot more than just challenge them. What was Ed Case doing in the legislature at the time to significantly assist the State to take down those trustees?
                                I'm going to quote from Broken Trust : "He drafted a wide-ranging bill that, if passed, would change the way Bishop Estate trustees were selected, limit trustee compensation, and secure legal standing for Kamehameha alumni so they could hold trustees accountable. In the months preceding the 1995 legislative session, Case painstakingly met with each of his colleagues, one at a time, explaining the bill and why it was needed. These offers paid off: thirty-one of the fifty-one members of the house signed the bill as co-sponsors, a clear majority." , page 222, bottom.

There is more, but this part makes the point. Ultimately the bill failed and there were retaliations. It may be that the above is an optimistic interpretation of events, but I think it is important that a politician be willing to address problems and not accept the status quo.

Comment

Working...
                                X