• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Case versus Akaka

Originally posted by 1stwahine
    Another Endorsement for Ed Case!

It is time for change in Senate

The Tribune-Herald endorses Ed Case for the U.S. Senate.

"As a congressman in the U.S. House of Representatives, Case has worked hard for Hawaii. He's proven himself to be a bright, articulate advocate for the state, and he's done his homework when it comes to the issues."

"As a small state, Hawaii relies heavily on its Congressional delegation to "bring home the bacon." Ed Case is the right man, at the right time, to be a member of that team. We urge our readers to send him to the U.S. Senate."
    http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/

Yeeehaaaaa!

Das ok about the Polls. What matters is the Votes!!

Auntie Lynn
    Auntie, it's not surprising that Case received the Hawai'i Tribune herald's endorsement...he's their boy after all.

I could never vote for Case. Akaka up, Case down.

Comment

Ever since Djou started appearing on TV news with soundbite quotes I've felt he was pointing towards the Mayor's office, maybe because that's the obvious next step up from City Council. I don't see him jumping to the Senate race, even as a sacrificial lamb this fall.
      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

I think Lingle would have a better chance for the U.S. Senate if she waits for the next cycle. Surely a vacancy will open in the next few years as both Dan Akaka and Dan Inouye are way up there. I would rather Lingle remain Governor for the next 4 years.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
          If there is a Democratic machine backing case, I sure did not see it. I went to one of his "talk story" meetings earlier this month and there was nary a prominent Democrat there.... maybe an Akaka spy or two, but no "name" Democrat was in attendance at this particular forum. A few Republicans were there like me just to see what he says (although I know a lot about what he says since I have heard him in other forums over the years).
          Don’t get me wrong, I’m voting for Akaka. But you’re wrong about the insider connection. Case has a mini-machine. It’s just that his is mostly local while Akaka’s is nationwide. Since Case’s peeps are old-timers, they run it from the back, not as man-on-the-street flesh pressers. They run it old-style (which is why Case will lose this one - Hawai‘i’s election dynamic has changed, probably for good).

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
          USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

Case put a guy in a fire department uniform in his TV ad, and gets busted.

Case acknowledges he made a mistake and will edit the guy out, but tries to minimize the complaint by saying it's the result of petty politics. How's that? "I did wrong, but I shouldn't have been called on it!" And he goes on and on about how his opponents are pulling an innocent, hardworking firefighter into the fray... but it was Case who put the hapless guy on TV in the first place.

Ian has posted some good commentary on the issue.

I gotta say, everything about Case's advertising rubs me the wrong way. At least I haven't seen the ridiculous "beach cleanup" one lately. Now, the one where he's pretending to be at a campaign rally, speaking at a podium before a room of supporters? I swear, the setup is so stark and stiff it reminds me of the whole "1984" Apple ad... before, of course, the runner comes in and smashes things to bits.

The ASFCME ad for Akaka? Also a contrived situation -- a "roundtable chat" about the man. But by comparison, it seems much more local, much more natural.

Comment

No matter whose ad it is I always kind of feel like they are being condescending...

Comment

continuing....

Aloha Kamuelakea! I'm glad he didn't cry. He is more dignified of a man to lower himself do to that. As I've stated from the beginning..."When all is said and done ~ friends will still remain friends. Family will always be family. Whoever is elected ~ we all hope and pray...will do their best to represent us well!

Come Election Day, the Voters will have chosen who will be going to the General Election. Actually, whoever wins the Primary wins it all!

Good Luck to Dan Akaka and Ed Case both who have done much for Hawai'i nei!

Love and Aloha

Auntie Lynn
                Last edited by 1stwahine; September 18, 2006, 08:06 PM.
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

The Hawai'i Senatorial runoff between Daniel Akaka and Ed Case has caught the eye of a Washington Post political blogger. He also comments on Case's replacement in the 2nd District; dunno where he's getting his information from, but he's predicting a Hirono v. Kawananakoa general election runoff.

Case's surprising decision to abandon his safe House seat for a run against Akaka created a rare opening in Congress for a number of candidates. The frontrunners are former Lt. Gov. Mazie Hirono (D) and former state Rep. Quentin Kawananakoa (R) -- both of whom aren't new faces on the political scene.

Hirono, who was elected lieutenant governor in 1994, ran briefly for mayor of Honolulu in 2002 before switching to the governor's race. Though she won the nomination, she lost in the general to Lingle. Kawananakoa was the frontunner for a House seat in 1998 but abruptly left the race citing -- you guessed it -- health problems.

The 2nd District, which encompasses most of the state minus Honolulu and its suburbs, has a decided Democratic tilt, so Hirono would be considered a strong favorite against Kawananakoa.
                  Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Did anyone see Michael Keany's article in the September issue of HONOLULU Magazine on this political showdown? What did you think?

It should still be on newsstands. Pick up a copy and give it a read if you can.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                      Dunno where he's getting his information from, but he's predicting a Hirono v. Kawananakoa general election runoff.
                      He’s at least partially correct as it’s obvious Kawananakoa will beat Hogue after Hogue’s disappointing performance in the KGMB debate, as well his lead in the money wars. Haven’t heard Hogue make a compelling argument yet as to why we should choose him, but he’ll probably win Kailua, if nothing else.

As far as the Democrats, that’s more of a toss-up. Matsunaga will give Hirono a run for the money, as will Hooser, Schatz, and Hee. Hanabusa will get the anti-establishment vote. The rest don’t have the name recognition or the critical campaign cash. Robert Wilcox IV it seems is actually trying to lose. I think MidWeek even forgot he was running.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                      USA TODAY, page 2A
                      11 March 1993

Comment

Case, in more hot water.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...0344/1009/NEWS

Comment

Ah, that's priceless. I'm half tempted to post cheesy animated clip art to express my bemusement. But anyway.

So, here's another deep-pocketed mainland interest group throwing their money at Hawaii, and having it backfire on Case. On one hand, I feel bad for the guy... that is, if you believe that the Mainland realtors and now the mainland Chamber of Commerce did this "without the authorization or approval of any candidate." On the other hand, it further emphasizes just whose interests Case would be beholden to in Washington D.C., and it sure isn't Hawaii residents.

I wonder if Case is still pushing out those "follow the money" e-mails? Like the Congress.org debacle, if folks actually listened to their suggestions, they'd probably vote for Akaka!

Comment

Jerry Burris lays it out this morning: Do you vote for a candidate based on the friends they keep? He notes some of Case's campaign missteps, often the result of groups beyond his control... but goes on to say that part of the problem is perhaps Case is too much in control of his own campaign, rather than seasoned political folks.

As we enter the final days before the primary, meanwhile, things are getting serious. Case has bought TV time for a half-hour $14,000 Case-fomercial, on top of re-doing his attack on Akaka to drop the Congress.org boo-boo and pounding instead on that old TIME piece. And even I was surprised to see Mayor Mufi Hanneman on TV, pushing for Akaka, along with other local groups doing their own ads.

With the potential for crossover votes and with Case's clear emphasis on 1st District voters (even though this race is for the 2nd district), it's tough to call. I'm definitely curious to see how many "spoiled ballots" we get on Saturday, which would be a good indication of how many Republicans tried to go with both Republicans (Lingle) and Democrats (Case) by accident...

Comment

With the potential for crossover votes and with Case's clear emphasis on 1st District voters (even though this race is for the 2nd district), it's tough to call.
                              Wha? Senatorial races are statewide, 1st and 2nd CD only applies to the House.

Comment

Um. Right. Don't mind me, I'm only on my first can of Coke here... I made the same mistake, actually, that Case has been working hard to minimize (and that others have made in this thread, so I don't mind!) -- that even though he's a 2nd District rep in the House now, this race is for everyone. But obviously he's also no fool, finding his popularity in "his" rural neighborhoods flagging behind Akaka, and finding the most support in urban Honolulu.

Comment

Working...
                                X