Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Designing Hawaii's Commemorative Quarter

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
    I'm not a fan of the Kamehameha statue. It's really well-known, to be sure. But it just looks so, well, so European. It was sculpted by some American sculptor who, as I've heard the story, never even visited Hawai?i and based the pose on classical marble statues of Roman emperors. A profile of Kamehameha, though, now that might work.
    American sculptor residing in it-lee. Kawika Kalakaua sent him a picture of some local hapa dude who, in the photo, actually wore the exact robe Kamehameha wore.
    The original sculpture in Kohala bears a more closely resemblance to a Hawaiian, but we are left with a caucasian looking countenance on the statue in from of Ali'iolani.
    ah well...

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
      Probably because of the fiasco that happened when "renowned local graphic designers" tried to come up with a new logo for the university. Dismal failures, all.
      No, no, no. They hired East Coast designers to design the new UH logo. And they came up with the predictable sun/surf "I'm on vacation in Hawaii" logos.

http://starbulletin.com/2004/05/28/news/story7.html

Those were NOT local designers.
      Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Since they got all the native Hawaiians talking about what to do with all those Forbe's cave artifacts in one room, maybe they should also throw on their agenda what they consider should be appropriate on the new quarter.

I think the new quarter should be cast with the Hawaiian flag upside down and the front showing Queen Liliuokalani in house arrest. That would make a statement to the world as to the plight of all Hawaiians.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

one big cockaroach and one big slippah above it, ready for the kill

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
            Since they got all the native Hawaiians talking about what to do with all those Forbe's cave artifacts in one room, maybe they should also throw on their agenda what they consider should be appropriate on the new quarter.

I think the new quarter should be cast with the Hawaiian flag upside down and the front showing Queen Liliuokalani in house arrest. That would make a statement to the world as to the plight of all Hawaiians.
            You know what would be *really* cool? If the quarter mimicked the 1883 Kalakaua Hapaha Dala (quarter).

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
              You know what would be *really* cool? If the quarter mimicked the 1883 Kalakaua Hapaha Dala (quarter).
              Ho yeah! That would be cool!

http://www.coinfacts.com/hawaiian_co...ter_dollar.htm

Comment

That is nice. I'd have a hard time deciding whether to go with Kalakaua's profile or the crest. I have a feeling the mint would have issues with a "two-headed" coin though... as with any "protest" sentiment (as craigwatanabe suggests). If we want to remind America of Hawaii's lost sovereignty, it's going to have to be pretty subtle.

And nice renderings, Pomai! Looking forward to any other future brainstorms!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                  That is nice. I'd have a hard time deciding whether to go with Kalakaua's profile or the crest. I have a feeling the mint would have issues with a "two-headed" coin though... as with any "protest" sentiment (as craigwatanabe suggests). If we want to remind America of Hawaii's lost sovereignty, it's going to have to be pretty subtle.

And nice renderings, Pomai! Looking forward to any other future brainstorms!

interesting that it would be taken as a "protest" sentiment. As I see it, one respectable deceased leader's profile is the same as any other. The gent ruled these islands as an elected constitutional monarch and did so fairly. In fact, not many images which could be put upon a quarter can make that claim; including no president that preceded Eisenhower.

With Lili'u's image, imagery of the overthrow could be understandably hearkened, as that happened during her reign. Not so with Kalakaua.

Best yet, Kamehameha III, who was our first constitutional monarch, and quite the progressive ruler.

pax

Comment

I prefer the crest, but that would leave most of the country scratching their heads.

Comment

I prefer the crest, because that would leave most of the country scratching their heads.

Comment

I look forward to whatever gets on the Hawai`i quarter, because then I'll have $12.50!

Comment

How about some slippahs!

Comment

Yesterday's Advertiser reported on the five final candidates for the Hawaii state quarter.

Comment

You can actually read the State Quarter Commission's recommendations in full (PDF). They're only written design concepts, as the U.S. Mint will generate the artwork (in consultation with state officials).

Lingle has the final call at the Hawaii level (though she says she'll involve the public somehow after the designs are submitted), but even then the ultimate approval comes from the Secretary of the Treasury. Here's a summary of the steps.

It's impossible to come up with a single or a few images that epitomize all that is Hawaii... which is probably why a lot of the designs include a lot of the elements that are already quite common.

I was disappointed to read in the official rules for State Quarters that a state can't create a "two-headed" quarter -- shoulder-and-up profiles of people are not allowed. I thought a King Kamehameha portrait would've been great. But, as some of the coverage notes, some folks could take issue with the image of Kamehameha on a piece of American currency.

Whatever they choose, I hope they keep it simple. One icon, two tops. I think Diamond Head is too O`ahu specific. I like the idea of a flower lei as a border.

Comment

Flower lei border - in the center, a plate lunch: two scoop rice, one scoop mac salad, the chain of islands as the entree.

Comment

Working...
                                X