Designing Hawaii's Commemorative Quarter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Designing Hawaii's Commemorative Quarter

Gotta make room for a pair of rubber zoris.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
      You can actually read the State Quarter Commission's recommendations in full (PDF). They're only written design concepts, as the U.S. Mint will generate the artwork (in consultation with state officials).
      Hmmm. According to the recommendations...

2. Aloha Spirit. The coin shows a traditional, culturally accurate female hula dancer...
      Somehow I doubt that they'll depict a female hula dancer traditionally dressed, with a kapa skirt and her breasts bare.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
        Somehow I doubt that they'll depict a female hula dancer traditionally dressed, with a kapa skirt and her breasts bare.
        A pity, as that'd probably be the only way a hula dancer image (as engraved on a coin, requiring some degree of cartoonishness anyway) would be remotely authentic, and not decried as cheesy. Frankly, I wish they'd have the guts to go for it... why not make the last quarter in the eight-year series the most controversial?

I can just see the headlines now.

Hawaii quarters banned from schools
        Utah stores refuse Hawaii coins
        'Boobie coin' most popular tattoo design

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
          A pity, as that'd probably be the only way a hula dancer image (as engraved on a coin, requiring some degree of cartoonishness anyway) would be remotely authentic, and not decried as cheesy. Frankly, I wish they'd have the guts to go for it... why not make the last quarter in the eight-year series the most controversial?

I can just see the headlines now.

Hawaii quarters banned from schools
          Utah stores refuse Hawaii coins
          'Boobie coin' most popular tattoo design
          Huh. There's precedent, both for showing a bare-breasted female figure -- on a quarter! -- and for public outcry against it, in the issuance of the 1916 Liberty 25-cent piece.

Comment

They should just leave the back blank with a solid mirror finish and the simple words etched: Hawaii 5-0

Everybody knows that title.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

So no one suggested a spam musubi yet?
              Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                Huh. There's precedent, both for showing a bare-breasted female figure -- on a quarter! -- and for public outcry against it, in the issuance of the 1916 Liberty 25-cent piece.

The 1916 Standing Liberty quarter is very rare and difficult to find with a full date as the numbers were raised rather than recessed, which led to premature wear. The mint didn't correct this "flaw" until 1925.

Ms. Liberty was outfitted with chain mail to cover her partial nudity in 1917.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific
                  The 1916 Standing Liberty quarter is very rare and difficult to find with a full date as the numbers were raised rather than recessed, which led to premature wear. The mint didn't correct this "flaw" until 1925.

Ms. Liberty was outfitted with chain mail to cover her partial nudity in 1917.
                  I've heard two sides regarding Lady Liberty's exposed bosoms on the early Standing Liberty Quarters. I've heard the stories about how many in that era did not want her bosoms exposed and demanded a re-design, but I've also heard the story about how the chain mail was added to allegorically represent Lady Liberty and the USA preparing to enter into battle in Europe during World War I. I've never bothered to ascertain which is the authentic reason why she was covered up in 1917 and continued to be so through 1930. I really should, as that is one series of coins I have a complete collection of, including the 1918/17 overdate. It's the only series of coins I ever felt compelled to own a complete set of, due to it's overall beauty. I think the SLQ is one of the most beautiful non-gold coins the US ever minted...it came from an era when American coins were truly works of art. I get to see my set of SLQs, maybe once a year, when I pull them out of their safe deposit box.

BTW, the '16 date WAS a tough date to fill..it took me years to find a certified '16 that I could "afford" ( condition VG-20, full date)...too many fakes in that date, even in lower grades, gave me plenty of reasons to buy a "slabbed" one.

As to Hawai'i's design, I do hope that its citizens recommend a coin with a design or symbol that will likely be around for the next 100 years or so. The poor folks of New Hampshire decided to commemorate the rock formation ( and state symbol of NH) "The Old Man of the Mountain", which if you've looked at New Hampshire quarters, you've seen it. In 2003, the whole formation collapsed, leaving nothing but a pile of rocks and an empty void where the formation once was. The "Old Man" collapse was to NH what Diamond Head (Le'ahi) would be to Hawai'i if it, for some reason, self-destructed. It was devastating to many New Hampshire residents.

NH's collapsed "Old Man of the Mountain"

Comment

Congrats are in order for your set of SLQs and your acquisitions of the 1916 (52,000 minted) and the 1918/17 overstrike. I agree that this Herman MacNeill creation is the most beautiful and striking design of non-gold US coinage ever minted.

Comment

Working...
                    X