Clear All

Re: Capitol Rally @ Hawaii State Capitol April 9th, 2006 11AM-1P

hey man...stop following me! :P
    and poino does have a point.
    www.raceeventshawaii.com

Comment

Originally posted by poinographer
      This would be much more effective on a day when the legislators are actually in the building...
      Now, who is responsible for making the decision when they were going to be out?

Auntie pUpUle
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

They decided to cruise on Sunday. Sunday morning, about 10-12 is the best time to do something like that if you want to be on TV. On Sundays, the news crews are all starving for something interesting to put on the 6 o'clock news.

If what you are doing is really visual, even marginally interesting, you'll get on the TV news.

But depends on what you want to accomplish. If you want to be on TV, perfect timing. If you want to impress legislators, not too good. Sunday. They stay home doing Sunday stuffs. They might see you on the 6 o'clock news cruising around the Capitol.

I have been an advocate of a state-owned and run NASCAR-style track out at Barber's Point forever. However, those who wish to back Mike Oakland's project need to know that there is plenty of politics going back decades surrounding HRP and the "new track."

That's the reason the idea doesn't have instant wide support from politicos. Check out some of the stuff chronicled by Ian Lind...that project has "history."

http://www.ilind.net

http://www.ilind.net/misc%20/racetrack/clips1995.html

Blaine
        Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

NASCAR has been trying for several years to find a suitable site for a race track here in the Puget Sound area, too. Several towns have stepped forward and started their due diligence; their immediate attraction to hosting a track is the possibility that huge numbers of race fans would bring revenue to their towns. But upon crunching the numbers, they realized that it would take YEARS before they would see any profit from such an enterprise because NASCAR put so many stipulations on a contract, so NASCAR continues its search.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

NASCAR, NHRA and the (two) Indy series would be loathe to transport all their cars and equipment to Hawaii by air. That's why the teams all have those pimped out tractor-trailers transporting everything each week by land. So, my hunch is that they would probably insist on some sort of airfreight subsidy to lure them to any new track in Hawaii.

I'm not sure how the truly global series (F1, MotoGP, etc) do it, but their budgets are WAY bigger than those North America-based series. They may well shake down the host communities, too.

FWIW, I'd love to see MotoGP coming to Hawaii every season... and to have the track to play on the rest of the year. But I don't necessarily think taxpayers need to make that dream happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
              NASCAR has been trying for several years to find a suitable site for a race track here in the Puget Sound area, too. Several towns have stepped forward and started their due diligence; their immediate attraction to hosting a track is the possibility that huge numbers of race fans would bring revenue to their towns. But upon crunching the numbers, they realized that it would take YEARS before they would see any profit from such an enterprise because NASCAR put so many stipulations on a contract, so NASCAR continues its search.

Miulang
              That's too close minded. The track is not slated to be used by just NASCAR...it's meant to appeal towards many organizations as poino pointed out. If the track was not to be used during seasonal use, it would be most likely looked upon at testing grounds. Many European racing teams both cars and bikes fly their equipment out to places like spain, austrailia, england, china, japan for testing. If you have experienced F1 in Australia, or MotoGP in spain, World Super Bike in England, or even the Japan Grand Touring Championships in Japan...then you would know what I'm talking about. although Hawaii on that side of the geographic plain...Hawaii is also one of the european people most favorite place to go...what more with a facility that can hold up to their standards. I know it's optimism...but you cant rule out that "it could happen" But that's just the euro market to highly supports that global scene...we especially do not want to forget our american ambasadors to the sport. NASCAR is just a small part of the whole community..you add in Champ Car, Indy Car, FIA, and AMA to the picture...you'll see why NASCAR is just a "part of the equation". Everyone here in the legislature in only hearing about NASCAR for some reason....but the reason the track is proposed is to cater to all...and especially towards the local people of Oahu and neighbor islands. If we can attract the many organizations of the world, with what is proposed at a "World Class Facility"...it would more than benefit Hawaii by adding us to the map of their motosports, but be a big part in the economic growth, a highly related issue towards tourism. I could be very well just the economic spike we need. The old track at HRP was, is, will, never be capable of that.l
              Last edited by kilikopela; April 9, 2006, 10:00 AM.
              www.raceeventshawaii.com

Comment

Originally posted by kilikopela
                That's too close minded. The track is not slated to be used by just NASCAR...it's meant to appeal towards many organizations as poino pointed out. If the track was not to be used during seasonal use, it would be most likely looked upon at testing grounds. Many European racing teams both cars and bikes fly their equipment out to places like spain, austrailia, england, china, japan for testing. If you have experienced F1 in Australia, or MotoGP in spain, World Super Bike in England, or even the Japan Grand Touring Championships in Japan...then you would know what I'm talking about. although Hawaii on that side of the geographic plain...Hawaii is also one of the european people most favorite place to go...what more with a facility that can hold up to their standards. I know it's optimism...but you cant rule out that "it could happen" But that's just the euro market to highly supports that global scene...we especially do not want to forget our american ambasadors to the sport. NASCAR is just a small part of the whole community..you add in Champ Car, Indy Car, FIA, and AMA to the picture...you'll see why NASCAR is just a "part of the equation". Everyone here in the legislature in only hearing about NASCAR for some reason....but the reason the track is proposed is to cater to all...and especially towards the local people of Oahu and neighbor islands. If we can attract the many organizations of the world, with what is proposed at a "World Class Facility"...it would more than benefit Hawaii by adding us to the map of their motosports, but be a big part in the economic growth, a highly related issue towards tourism. I could be very well just the economic spike we need. The old track at HRP was, is, will, never be capable of that.l
                All that's lovely, but I think the State has more pressing priorities like the homeless, affordable housing, etc. to tackle before it should consider subsidizing something that only would appeal to a limited number of people. Now if the motorsports enthusiasts want to build a track using private money WITHOUT any State or local subsidies, I'd be all for it!

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I take the simplistic view on this. Would rather have these folks racing
                  on the public streets and freeways or in a controlled environment ?
                  I for one would prefer the latter. As if there is no legitimate place to
                  go you'll be seeing more of these folks illegally racing on the freeways etc.
                  Which will lead to more catastrophic accidents which we see repeatedly
                  over and over again.

So in a way, yes it doesn't rate as high as affordable housing.homelessness etc.
                  But taking into account there isn't any other place to go for these folks, it
                  should concern all of us that we'll be seeing more of these folks illegally racing
                  now on public streets,roads,freeways.
                  Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                  The Kona Blog

Comment

The key to this whole issue is money. Follow the money... and more specifically they want taxpayer money to subsidize the new racetrack or a tax break (depending on the bill that is sitll alive, if any)..... Just like everything else that goes on in the legislature.... it all comes down to trying to allocate precious few taxpayer money to one cause, organization or another.

Just remember, the taxpayers are not an endless source of revenue for government. No New Taxes!
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I hope all of you are not making the mistake of misunderstanding what tax credit is vs what tax deduction is, like Glen Miyashiro. The proposal of the bill is to give tax credit, not award tax deductions to the investors of the proposed new race track. The only peoples money that will be spent is the investors, none of the state tax payers as implied by having tax deductions.

as stated in the other thread that MiuLang started last year in Feb regarding the track...I wrote that, the State has prospected condemning the existing land of the HRP grounds, hmm...thats tax payers money there. then there's the EPA mandates that need to be clarified...thats tax payers money there too. and there's the needed safety improvements that the existing track needs to make it an up to date facility...yah..that's tax payers money there too. so what do you prefer the state to do? Side the people that that want the state to buyout a busted up has been track only to use tax payers money in the process, or pass the bill to award tax credit (not deductions) to the proposed track investors - those are your only two choices.

Colliers have forecasted the economic and real estate growth of Kapolei, and they made clearly that saving the existing race track is NOT feasible with growing industries using that area. It doesnt make sense that every parcel around the existing track is zoned at Industrial, and that the track's parcel is zoned agricultural..to keep in ag-land. the New owner is likely to take care of the EPA mandates to (knowingly the owner knew of them before buying out the land from James Campbell Estates) to start up whatever they want. Then the State would have no real concrete reason why they should condemn the land...and that would be a costly and timely process..again, tax payers money there too.
                      Last edited by kilikopela; April 9, 2006, 11:57 AM.
                      www.raceeventshawaii.com

Comment

So like the Ko Olina tax credit that passed a few years ago, this is another specialized tax credit proposal.

SB 1734 HD1

There is a WMV CD circulating from the new racetrack supporters. Is that video available online?
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I'm not too aware of th Ko Olina tax credit, but I do know my office is working on their projects On the subject about the Ko Olina tax credit, here's some good reading on Colleen Hanabusa, the supporter of the Ko Olina tax credit.She is the very one that killed the bill (HB994) in support of the racepark tax credit.
                          http://www.hawaiitalks.net/showpost....32&postcount=1

Here's the video:
                          http://www.superlapseries.com/assets...esentation.wmv

here's a fact sheet:
                          Last edited by kilikopela; April 9, 2006, 04:31 PM.
                          www.raceeventshawaii.com

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
                            I have been an advocate of a state-owned and run NASCAR-style track out at Barber's Point forever. However, those who wish to back Mike Oakland's project need to know that there is plenty of politics going back decades surrounding HRP and the "new track."
                            thanks for the links, I was a freshman in highschool in '91. All I cared about was baseball, football, and girls. I'm now 28...that makes me feel old sorry if offends any of you
                            www.raceeventshawaii.com

Comment

Hooo boy. Out comes the opala. The chief proponent of the bill to allow a tax credit for building a new raceway just withdrew the measure "because of potential conflicts of interest". Um, why did this bill get as far as it did before this conflict was discovered? Who's sleeping at the wheel? Why wasn't there more due diligence on the part of the committees that allowed the bill into the Senate and House? Love the way the killing of the measure was described :
                              "..."For Representative Chang's reputation and for the institution of the Legislature, we thought that it would be best to nip it in the bud and table the measure"...just the old boy network trying to protect its own, which is disgusting.

If the voters of Hawai'i want a replacement for Hawai'i Raceway Park, let them decide that on its own merits rather than having to rely on "sweetheart deals" that could benefit certain people who are in a position to approve the funding.

Miulang

Comment

Re: Replacing Hawai'i Raceway Park

Hooo boy. Out comes the opala. The chief proponent of the bill to allow a tax credit for building a new raceway just withdrew the measure "because of potential conflicts of interest". Um, why did this bill get as far as it did before this conflict was revealed? Who's sleeping at the wheel? Why wasn't there more due diligence on the part of the committees that allowed the bill into the Senate and House? Love the way the tabling of the measure was described :
                                "..."For Representative Chang's reputation and for the institution of the Legislature, we thought that it would be best to nip it in the bud and table the measure"...just the old boy network trying to protect its own, which is disgusting.

If the voters of Hawai'i want a replacement for Hawai'i Raceway Park, let them decide that on its own merits rather than having to rely on "sweetheart deals" that could benefit certain people who are in a position to approve the funding.

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                                X