Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Legislature votes to ban indoor smoking

Originally posted by timkona
    I always like to rip out a big, stinky fart whenever I'm around a smoker. The louder the better. And when they say something, I just say "I'm trying to freshen the air a bit."

Same is true when a freshly REEKING smoker gets into an elevator with me. Guarantee that's a great time to let out some ass-gas. Won Bok Kim Chee (hot) with aku poke is the secret. Kalua Pork & Cabbage is a close second.

I would pick up a gun to defend YOUR right to smoke a cigarette. Just don't do it around me, unless you love the scent of "Sweet April Roses".
    Well, forget the whole live-and-let-live thing...

I have this strange reaction you know. Whenever someone passes gas within my personal space (and it's not me), I get this uncontrollable urge to slap the offender upside the head.

Who knew?

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
      I like that nonsmokers can now go into a bar and not walk out of it with their clothes reeking with the smell of stale cigarettes.
      me too!

thats what i loved when i lived in california (banned smoking in bars) as opposed to when I was studying in Spain (you can smoke in school cafeterias, elevators even!, all over the place!). I hated getting something to eat before class as I knew I'd reek of second-hand smoke just for getting a sandwich.

Bars.. absolutely love it being smoke-free.. hope Hawaii passes it.

Comment

I just never understood the need to ban smoking in private establishments such as bars and restaurants. If you don't like smoke don't spend your money there, or don't work there.

It's that simple.

Nobody's holding a gun, or a flatulant anus to your head to go into one of these places.

Oh, but people need the work!

Yeah, right. Lots of other jobs around. Perhaps if all the bar/restaurant workers who are so opposed to smoke either quit their jobs, or never signed up for the job in the first place, the "dramatic" drop in labor would force owners to ban smoking on their own... *snicker, snicker*

Most of the employees at the bars I frequent are all smokers themselves... I don't think the ban is going to do much to curb smoking at these kinds of places... everyone who walks into those places know they're descending into a smoky hellhole. But that's what makes these bars what they are...

As for smoking on the street, it's not illegal, so I say smoke away... everywhere you can...

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger Beer

Bars.. absolutely love it being smoke-free.. hope Hawaii passes it.
          Hmmm.... lots of bars that don't allow smoking already. Why not stick to those and avoid places where people can smoke?

I don't understand it. At all.

Comment

I have this strange reaction you know. Whenever someone passes gas within my personal space (and it's not me), I get this uncontrollable urge to slap the offender upside the head.

I feel the same way around a smoker.

Hey wait. I thought you said live and let live?
            FutureNewsNetwork.com
            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

I feel the same way around a smoker.
              Well, maybe you should try that instead of passing gas and see how far it gets you.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                Well, maybe you should try that instead of passing gas and see how far it gets you.
                I know I shouldn't laugh...but das FUNNY!

aUNTIE pUpUle
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Why not just make tobacco illegal to sell, not to smoke. If someone wants to grow tobacco in their backyard for their own use, let 'em. Enforcement is too damned costly, remember how much we spent on Op Green Harvest? But they really love their black helis! I guess I can concede the public places ban. From my point of view I want them so inconvenient to get that I HAVE to quit. Don't tax me to death, just make it so I have to go looking for a dealer to get them! Sure there will be smuggling, but if we don't make a big deal out of it then it probably won't get too ugly. It'll be the same people who bring in all the illegal drugs now, they'll just ship in ciggys too.

Jewlipino

Comment

I always like to rip out a big, stinky fart whenever I'm around a smoker. The louder the better. And when they say something, I just say "I'm trying to freshen the air a bit."

Same is true when a freshly REEKING smoker gets into an elevator with me. Guarantee that's a great time to let out some ass-gas. Won Bok Kim Chee (hot) with aku poke is the secret. Kalua Pork & Cabbage is a close second.
                    *ROFLMAO* This is just about the funniest thing I’ve read in a long time.

Unfortunately, I must disagree with two glaring problems with this new anti-smoking law.

1. You can’t smoke at the airport. Do we want to cut off our visitor industry in one fell swoop? Smokers have been sitting on a plane for hours on end without a cigarette and are just about ready to strangle someone for a smoke and we tell them they have to wait until a taxi takes them 20 feet from the building?

2. You can’t smoke in a bar. This is just about the most rediculous stipulation this legislation makes. I don’t consider myself a smoker, but if I’ve had a couple drinks, it’s time to light up. Smoking and drinking have gone hand-in-hand for more than a century. At one point, they had vending machines in every bar.

I felt we had some pretty adequate anti-smoking laws on the books but there was room for improvement. I think the legislature went above and beyond what was necessary and may actually push many smokers who figure if they’re breaking the law anyway, why not go all the way.

(Hint: They might join many across the state doing a 420)

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                    USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
                      2. You can’t smoke in a bar. This is just about the most rediculous stipulation this legislation makes. I don’t consider myself a smoker, but if I’ve had a couple drinks, it’s time to light up. Smoking and drinking have gone hand-in-hand for more than a century.
                      Hey, guess what? You're a smoker.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                        Hey, guess what? You're a smoker.

Oh that was a good one Maddie! Just like that new anti smoking commercial with Lanai and Augie, "I only smoke when I drink".

Let's put in more critical outcomes here, "I'm not a killer, I just murder when I'm mad"

I don't think that defense will work in any court. Whether you smoke one drag or several packs a day, you're a smoker. Whether you smoke when you're stressed or smoke for leisure, you're a smoker.

Whether you accept bribes or call it a campaign donation, you're still a Legislator

Now if you buy a pack of smokes that doesn't make you a smoker. And even if you take one out and pop it in your mouth that doesn't make you a smoker. But when you light one up and create smoke...yeah you're a smoker then.

So if you really want to piss off some theater manager and the non smokers around you, take out a pack of cigarettes, pack down tha tobacco against the filter tip, take one out and put it in your mouth taking in long hard drags without lighting up. Hey nobody can complain because you haven't done anything offensive yet unless putting ones lips to a butt is offensive to others.

Hmmm "putting one's lips to a butt" Hmmm whether it's a cigarette butt or a bosses butt it still kissing butt. Glad I don't do either.
                        Last edited by craigwatanabe; June 1, 2006, 10:52 AM.
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                          The solution to smoking and second hand smoke is to simply put the lit end in the mouth. That way all the crap goes into the smoker and the less toxic exhaust gets cleaned thru the filter and then out into the air.

And to keep smoke out of my face...don't exhale...it's actually very simple.
                          heh, I sometimes imagine smokers with a sealed fishbowl over their head so they can smoke and keep their smoke to themselves.

Comment

Can't smoke on the beach in Los Angeles anymore.

I'm all for keeping smoke away from non-smokers but you have no right not to smell the "reek" of tobacco on my person. Maybe you should go around with a surgical mask on like some I've seen.
                            “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                            http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

I'd support banning smoking on the beach just because of all the butts that litter the sand!

I'm not a smoker and I hate the smell of smoke (and what it's doing to my lungs) but I think it's silly to ban smoking in private establishments. Like someone else mentioned, I just avoid places that allow smoking. They lose out on my money. As more and more people stop smoking (and as smokers die of lung cancer), the bars that allow smoking will see a natural decline in patronage and consequently ban smoking. They don't need a law to tell them that.

What I WOULD like to see is smoking banned from bus stops. There's always some ass smoking upwind from a bunch of elderly people and kids and it drives me crazy. I can get up and move upwind but what about the elderly folks?

Also, isn't smoking was supposed to be banned on University of Hawaii system campuses except for designated smoking areas? This certainly isn't enforced at Kapiolani CC, where the smokers congregate in front of building entrances. I can't get to class unless I hold my breath and walk past them (but my hair then smells of cigarette smoke and you know how hard it is to get the smell out).

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                                I don't think that defense will work in any court. Whether you smoke one drag or several packs a day, you're a smoker.
                                I doubt that statement would hold up in court either. John Doe had one drag when he was in middle school, just to be “Kool” for his ratpack. I don’t think on his college graduation day, you can call him a smoker for something he did nearly a decade ago and have it hold any weight. Let’s dispense with the fecetious exaggeration here.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                                USA TODAY, page 2A
                                11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                                X