Clear All

• Re: Statehood Day Holiday

Originally posted by Konaguy
    It looks like this thread has sprung an "aloha-leak"
    Now where is that patch kit
    Coming right up....

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
      Coming right up....

Auntie Lynn

oh thats sooo cute
      Check out my blog on Kona issues :
      The Kona Blog

Comment

ok...enough kissy poo

It's an election year...slom trying to gain more name notoriety....

we feeding into it

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
          Manoa just found out through miulang Washington never had a statehood day.
          Only Hawaii has a "Statehood Day".

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
          someone needs to step into this thread and make everyone laugh and say hahahah for a second....
          Where is Aunty Lynn when you need her?

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
            Every state in the union commemorates the day it joined the union, but some states don't mark it with anything special (e.g., a holiday or special celebrations, unless it happens to mark a milestone, like the Bicentenntial or Centennial). The people of Hawai'i should be more like the people on the CONUS: if you get a day off for Statehoood Day, just take the day off. Go to the beach. Go shopping. Otherwise, if there is no holiday, just ignore it and go about your day like usual.

Miulang
            dang Miulang... I guess not huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
              The people of Hawai'i should be more like the people on the CONUS:
              Uh... no. Hawaii already has too many people from the mainland coming here and trying to make things more like they are "back in the states."

No thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Jewlipino
                I am not ignorant thank you very much.
                A lie becomes the truth only if everyone believes it.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

here is a communication I received from the person who shot the video clips:

What terri said was correct. It was an educational experience for the Kalani High School Band. Early camera shots showed Mr Sloam/ Slome sitting on the chairs while the kanaka's was setting up. It was not a sneek attack, it was out in the open. Yes some of the Band and their parents was upset. One parent yelled at the kanaka's. If there was a safety issue? I think the two members of the legislature who was present had a kuleana to the High School. They let them sit their and listen to the kanaka's view of Hawaiian history and they left. Then the real show down. Damn this was as good as the Nansei Corporation action. Palace Security as well as the Capital Sheriff was there and they did nothing but watch and boy was it hot. Using the high school as a shield has got to be the lowest but they did get an education on Hawaiian history and the history of the Royal Hawaiian Band and no, he did not use spell check!

and here is another video clip:

slom uses kalani high school students/faculty/staff to serve his own agenda...
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yanVJ5Tv9rY

and some info about one of the most "inflamatory" writers who was there:

http://www.ilind.net/diary/aug_1_03.html

(Edit was to add some additional info to the above posting from my friend)
                  Last edited by anapuni808; August 22, 2006, 02:16 AM.
                  "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Slightly off-topic, but the same sentiment is playing out here in California with Mexican Reconquistas:

http://washingtontimes.com/national/...2222-1672r.htm

My humble input: Agreeing that "The Revolution' is positive, would subjecting our families to violence be quicker or more effective than working within the system. After all, demographics is on the side of the people, and The Company is running out of oil.

Comment

Why would they do that? They have no reason to go to an Indian reservation on July 4th. It's not like that's where they wrote the Declaration of Independence. Pretty darn stupid if they did something as nonsensical as that.
                      Thank you for making my point without realizing it. So I will have to explain it to you.

It would be stupid. The only reason politicians would celebrate the 4th of July on a sacred area of an Indian Reservation would be to PISS OFFF the Indians. There wouldn't be any other reason.

And that is exactly what Slom and his gang of Hawaiian Wannabees were doing, trying to PISS OFFFF Hawaiians.

So your right. It was "Pretty darn stupid" and "nonsensical" to hold the rally at Iolani Palace as opposed to the State Capitol.

Shheeesh, gotta explain everything to some people.

Comment

Originally posted by Mahi Waina
                        Slightly off-topic, but the same sentiment is playing out here in California with Mexican Reconquistas:

http://washingtontimes.com/national/...2222-1672r.htm
                        Similar but hardly the same. The Hawaiian Monarchy represented a unified people, with identifiable borders, a unique language, culture and customs. The Hawaiian government was recognized by numerous countries worldwide and held many treaties with those goverments.

The mexicans were just occupying the area in small disconnnected groups.

Not even close to being the same.
                        Last edited by kamuelakea; August 22, 2006, 05:29 AM.

Comment

They're residents, it's the State anthem, they have every right to sing it anywhere they please. Jewlipino

You're right. They can. But apparently the fact that they were celebrating the illegal overthrow of the Hawaiian Monarchy by singing a song which honors the monarchy, the Aliii and Kamehameha doesn't strike you as contradictory.

Sloms Wannabee Hawaiian gang looked like foolish children to me.

Comment

It is truly interesting and refreshing to see the passion as well as the thought process when the subject of Hawaii's statehood is brought up.

I got no opinion here, still gathering information. It does play out a lot of different ways, depending on the Author. A little like "Rashomon" at times.

What I can say, based on my own experiences and discussions with affected people, is that this situation is unique to Hawaii. Let me explain. After reading "Pau Hana" many years ago, I decided to compare those experiences with other nations who experienced what I like to call "plantation imperialism". Same initial conditiions. Predominantly European plantation owners "obtain" land. "Get" native population to work the land. Import help when demand outstrips supply. Keep changing who they import based on keeping the workers down. Eventually leave.

In my line of work, we theorize a lot based on a certain set of rules, then we "model" and then "trial" to confirm those rules. Sometime rules get bent, sometimes rules get broken. EVERYTHING becomes a learning experience. Here is something to put in your pipe..................

Is the passion because Hawaii is a state? Would the situation be different if Hawaii was a territory (as compared to another victim of plantation inperialism, Puerto Rico)? Would the situation be different if Hawaii was independent (as compared to the other former/current plantation nations in the Caribbean)? If you want to keep it in the Pacific, what would Hawaii have been like if everyone foreign just left (like the guano islands)?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

The only conclusion I can draw is that Hawaii is unique. Very unique.

Not being dismissive, just have not gathered all the facts yet.
                            You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

http://starbulletin.com/2006/08/22/e...l/letters.html

There are two letters to the editor in today's Star Bulletin. The first by someone who was there, the second by someone who was not.... it figures.

Btw, Sam Slom is an asshole and so is his Ann Coulter wanna be girlfriend.

Comment

Regardless of the truth, I don't think it is fair to characterize Kamehameha and his warriors as blood thirsty savages.

Let's see. Gather up a trained military force, with new technologies that your enemies have not yet acquired, travel far across an ocean, attack and kill the inhabitants in the name of unity/peace/power struggle/ego gratification/deity servitude/pre-emptive worry.

I wonder if that describes Kamehameha or GW ??

Seems to me the only difference is that the good citizens of Oahu never attacked Hawaii. Another slight difference might be that G-dub never built a temple for sacrificing humans. (or did he?) Of course, another difference would be that modern soldiers seldom take their wives & children with them. Oh Sinjin, you are so fun.

That ought to get your tail feathers ruffled. Truth is a dish best served with sarcasm and condescension. Watch out, here comes more id anger.

In the grand order of history, the conqueror and the conquered are often the same person. That is the history of our whole planet.

And all the bitchin' will never change a thing. Happy Birthday Hawaii.
                                FutureNewsNetwork.com
                                Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Working...
                                X