Statehood Day Holiday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Statehood Day Holiday

Pua'i, I agree with you 100%. The notion of "blood quantum" is, as I see it, an artificial tool that has been used to deprive large numbers of people who are descended from the first indigenous peoples of their heritage.

Since you mentioned the Maori, I did some research on their governmental structure and discovered that the original founding document, the Treaty of Waitangi, has been dusted off and modified over time so that it more equitably addresses the needs and concerns of the Maori without necessarily penalizing the Pakeha. It appears that the current involvement of the Maori in the government is that of a recognized nation with a nation, yes?

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

It is refreshing to hear a pro-sov voice that is critical of blood quantum ie race based criteria. Maybe the Maori model is somewhat more enlightened than the Hawaiian model, as pertaining to race.
      FutureNewsNetwork.com
      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by Jewlipino
        All people are equal regardless of race, the best thing we can do is remove all race distinctions from society. Jewlipino
        Okay, then lets just get rid of Israel, send them all to Europe. There all just Haoles anyway. Why have those silly borders of Israel. All they do is seem to irritate the neighbors anyway. So yeah Jewilpino, everyone is one race, all equal, Israelis, Arabs, Persians. They're all the same. So I think you should suggest that the Jews make the first move and simply erase their borders.

The above was sarcasm.

Isn't interesting that a guy who was just crying about the Halocaust and wears his Jewishness on his sleeve by his username and by his writings could care less about a displaced native people.

Jewilpino, I'm starting to understand why the Palestinians feel the way they do about Israel. You are a perfect example.

Comment

Originally posted by Jewlipino
          So I had to stop helping and have to continue working against it as long as being Hawaiian is linked to the blood in your veins. Jewlipino

Jewlipino's Checklist for Opposing Hawaiian Sovereignty:

1) Amend US Constitution so that a treaty isn't required for the annexation of new territory. Oh and make it retroactive to 1898.

2) Rewrite history so that there is no mention of the original inhabitants of the Hawaiian Islands who shared a unique phenotype, unique language and unique culture. We can call them, uh,............. Samoans with style.

3) Eliminate the 180 Native groups currently recognized by the United States as having rights to self rule based upon their being the original inhabitants of the areas currently occupied by the United States.

4) Eliminate the Hawaiian Homes Commission established by congress in 1920 since it looks too much like an admission that there really were native inhabitants of the islands of Hawaii.

5) Get President Clinton to change his mind and amend the 1993 apology bill to say "never mind, we talked to a guy named Jewlipino and he said we don't have to".

Thats it. That's all jewlipino has to do to win the war against Hawaiian Sovereignty. Get busy.

As you read this gang, think about who the racist really is.
          Last edited by kamuelakea; August 25, 2006, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
            By far the funniest post on this thread. That paragraph pretty much says it all about the veracity of sovereignty.

No metal fish hooks. No monofilament line. No rods & reels. No motor on your boat. No fiberglass. No Steinlager. No Li Hing Mui. No Spam.
            ROFLMFAO !!

Hahhahahahhhahahahaha. hhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaahahahahhahaahhha

Tim Kona, I'm laughing harder and louder and longer than you can imagine.

Those are all important for people who can't really fish. They are handicaps. Like lowering the basket for basketball players, or widening the goal in a soccer game. They help terrible fisherman actually catch fish.

Oh, they catch fish all right, but its the toys that catch the fish, not the fisherman. You surely don't see the difference because you come from an all show culture.

And when those handicap aides catch fish, they do it so well that they deplete places like Oahu of all of the fish. They are so good at indiscriminately killing large numbers of fish that they succeed in destroying the future of fishing. Great job Tim Kona. But of course you wouldn't understand that either because you come from the culture of "its all about you".

In Egypt around the years 1000, a seven-year failure of the Nile floods brought a famine so bad that inhabitants resorted to cannibalism.

Guess what Hawaiians were doing at that time TimKona? They were having seconds.

In Ireland in the 1840s, one million died from starvation or disease during the great potato famines.

Guess what Hawaiians were doing at that time TimKona? They were worried about their weight.

There have been famines in China, Africa, India and even in North Korea today that have killed millions and millions and millions.

What were Hawaiians, (without your handicap fishing toys for losers) doing while the rest of the world was dying of starvation? They were fishing for just enough to feed their families yet without destroying their future.

I'd say they're pretty good fishermen.

But once again TimKona, you won't get it, because,............. you're typical.
            Last edited by kamuelakea; August 25, 2006, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
              Pua'i, I agree with you 100%. The notion of "blood quantum" is, as I see it, an artificial tool that has been used to deprive large numbers of people who are descended from the first indigenous peoples of their heritage.
              Miulang

That's idiotic. A Hawaiian is a Hawaiian by blood. You can cry racism but that's what any other ethnicity would say as well. It's only because the Hawaiian Wannabees outnumber the real Hawaiians by so much that they can spew this kind of silly talk and get away with it.

This is Miulangs attempt to redefine what a Hawaiian is. If you're going to try to invent a "New and Improved Hawaiian", could you at least give it a new name?

Here's one suggestion: Plantation Asian Immigrant.

Comment

The US has 3,537,436 sq miles.

Hawai'i has 6,423 sq. miles. And 4,508 sq. miles of international waters. 750 miles of coastline. and 1,052 miles of shoreline.

I would rather discuss the freedom to control of these resources. The treaties needed in today's world that would enable sustainability as an internationally-regarded premier resort destination. Land ownership apportioned domestically with limitation on foreign ownership. The freedom to vote on keeping dual citizenships (e.g. U.S. and Hawaiian citizenship) if we want. The freedom to control bank reporting. Dealing with migration issues as they pertain to sustainable infrastructure. Ensuring that the culture here in this y2k world keeps a foot in each world: the global one, and our island one.

Unfortunately, being under the auspices of the US gets in the way of the needs that our finite isles have. We cannot control domestic and international migration, because it is based on all that "sea to shining sea" business, and getting Wash DC to do anything is like turning the QEII around a small buoy. Being part of a bloated land mass™ country gets in the way of our getting-critical-ler-by-the-minute batch of isles. And don't tell me that our native issues are so critical when helloooo, who the hell owns everything 3 feet back from our little-bit shoreline now? Aint nobody who lives here/born here/gonna die here/pays taxes and contributes to society here.

With a legal referendum, we could vote on all of this. I keep looking to this future, because it is our heritage to do so.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea
                  If you're going to try to invent a "New and Improved Hawaiian", could you at least give it a new name?
                  I believe I commented on this a page or two ago and got ignored... There's an awful lot of arguing over misunderstood terminology going on.

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
                    With a legal referendum, we could vote on all of this. I keep looking to this future, because it is our heritage to do so.
                    The first thing that has to happen then is for the next ConCon to revise the State Constitution to make public referenda legal. I don't know of very many other states that don't allow their citizens to petition to have a law changed or added or deleted. After all, isn't the government supposed to be comprised of members elected by the citizens, and isn't that government supposed to function at the pleasure and at the behest of the citizens? If you have to play by "their" rules for the time being, why not try to work the rules in your favor? #1 lesson learned from my days as a student activist: you cannot change systems from the outside; you have to be on the inside in order to make meaningful changes.

Miulang
                    Last edited by Miulang; August 25, 2006, 01:52 PM.
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

no, it isn't *any* vote on the State™ level that is the next step. It must be the federal referendum for Hawai'i's citizens (and yes, the jury is out regarding who is eligible to vote in that) to vote on whether we want to be an independent commonwealth and if so, if we choose to be in free association which might be likely.

Then everything gets voted on by referendum from there.

pax

Comment

hmmm....if we stick to race bashing, this thread bloats up by the minute. Once we veer into the more cerebral concerns like economics, legalities and due process, nobody wants to play. Interesting.

pax

Comment

hmmm....if we stick to race bashing, this thread bloats up by the minute. Once we veer into the more cerebral concerns like economics, legalities and due process, nobody wants to play. Interesting.
                          heheheh. Tita Pua'i Mana'o, it's like the saying, "We save the Best foa LAST!"

You are our Top Gun!!!! Yeeehah!

Very interesting indeed.

Auntie Lynn
                          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Ah...maybe it's just that we've entered the weekend... Too much brain-using...makes head hurt...

Comment

I think its more that the race-bashing folks can't get past the racial issues and look at "Nation" issues. They would have to be able to think outside the box & most of them are unable to do that. There are many activists I know who are currently planning a nation - what would it look like, how would it work? We started a group about 7 years ago to look at different economic plans for the Nation. There are some who think they must be King, some who think that we must go back to a monarchy. They obviously don't pay much attention to history - for one thing, the "Kings" were called that by Europeans/Westerners who couldn't grasp the concept of an "Ali`i" or chief.

After 1893, Liliuokalani kept fighting to get her nation back, kept fighting to get $$$ from the US so she could continue to do her "job" as an Ali`i and care for her people. That's why they would line up outside Washington Place - the makaainana continued to look at HER as their leader, not the government. She was not a rich woman & when she died, she directed that Washington Place (her inherited, private property) be sold & money distributed to her people. This is how Queen Liliuokalani Trust was started. Prince Kuhio was her executor and he sold the home (quite legally) to the government as a permanent residence for the governors. Not ever to be sold or sub-divided or anything like that. The new house where Lingle lives was built with private funds, raised for that specific purpose. It is not on the original land of Washington Place.

`Iolani Palace was built as a home for the Government leaders to entertain the Westerners in the style they felt comfortable with. Kalakaua & Kapiolani lived in a wooden house built next door called "Hale a Kala". Liliu lived at Washington Place and her property in Waikiki.

To get back to the original intention of this thread - the Hawaiian Nation temporarily ended there - that is why the building & grounds are considered sacred. The overthrow took place in the front parlor, Liliuokalani gave her final address to her people from the 2nd floor lanai, she was imprisioned in a bedroom on the 2nd floor - that is why it is so offensive when "haole" folks try to hold their "state" affairs there. and white folks aren't the only "haoles" around believe me!

ah, don't get me started - I've already spouted off enough on this thread. I need to just sit back, bite my tongue and keep quiet.
                              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Nah, giff um some more Fran. Giff um Some more. I learning too.

Auntie Lynn
                                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                                X