Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Statehood Day Holiday

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
    ...or did I read that wrong, TuNnL, and you are saying that "nigger" IS utterly and exclusively racist, even if used by blacks?
    I am saying it is utterly a RACIAL term. Not necessarily racIST when used by one black person to another.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
      I am saying it is utterly a RACIAL term. Not necessarily racIST when used by one black person to another.
      how is it a racial term when I'm talking to a family member using the word niggah...?

Substitue the word "honey" for niggah in the following sentence.

"My Niggah is still at work" for a female black person talking about their bf...etc.

Substitue the word "bro" for niggah in the following.

"Whats up niggah... long time no see"

Substitute the word "friends" for niggah in the following...

"Wassup niggahs... wanna go have a drink?"

None of these have any racial conotations at all... simply folks talking amongst themselves.

Comment

All of the people you just referred to are black. Hence, nigger is a racial term as it only applies to blacks. Amazing I have to explain this to you of all people.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
        USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

Watch this youtube someone from HT PM'd me with...

Kind of funny and puts plenty tweaks on the "N" word.

The typical "Niggar" family

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25037zHIkJ4

To the HT poster that sent me this link...

Mahalo my niggah (and he's white)
          Last edited by damontucker; September 1, 2006, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
            Gotcha - I see the distinction you are making.

Comment

Well then try and tell that to the white kids born and raised in compton that call each other niggahs each and every day!

I was just back in compton in 2004! saw it first hand!

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                Well then try and tell that to the white kids born and raised in compton that call each other niggahs each and every day!
                How much of that is just the common occurrence of people from one culture appropriating behaviors from another culture? That's something that you in Hawai`i see (and discuss here) all the time; couldn't you consider that as similar behavior to malihini who pretend to be "local"?

Comment

How much of that is just the common occurrence of people from one culture appropriating behaviors from another culture? That's something that you in Hawai`i see (and discuss here) all the time; couldn't you consider that as similar behavior to malihini who pretend to be "local"?
                  Nope...not if your born and raised in compton and grew up there all your life and are white.... it's not assimilation... it's learned behavior....

I guess the prime example might be someone like Emimen... he get's away with using niggah cause he was brought up as that being the word for a best friend.

Comment

When my mom and dad divorced when I was young (age 3)... I moved to Washington and live in a white society...

When i visited my dad up until I was 12 I used to have to ask him questions about being black...etc...

One of the very distinct questions I asked him...being that I was raised by a white mother that distinctly told me never to use the "N" word... Was how come everyone uses the "n" word when I visit you....

His reply...Nigger means turkey.... we calling eachother turkeys when we talk that way.... He didn't want me using the Niggah word when I went back to stay with my mom...

So for a long period of time... I actually thought Nigger meant something stupid like saying...nan nan nan... you a turkey....etc...

It wasn't until later in life did I realize any sort of racial meanings of it until someone actually teased me about my skin color in about 5th - 6th grade and actually called me a Nigger! What I say back to him..."At least I'm not a chicken"

Comment

"At least I'm not a chicken"
                      Careful --- someone's gonna accuse you of making Filipino jokes...
                      Going moemoe now. Radio shows tomorrow. A hui hou.

Comment

Careful --- someone's gonna accuse you of making Filipino jokes...
                        Going moemoe now. Radio shows tomorrow. A hui hou.
                        Hey I been called a flip too! forgot about that one.
                        and scary enough... I think it was auntielynn who first thought I was a Hawaiian!

Comment

Linkmeister....and for that matter anapuni

I want to sincerely apologize for getting this thread so derailed...

when racial tensions heat up...whether its hawaiian vs. haole... blacks vs. white... United States vs. ?... everything gets derailed at somepoint.

My bad...

Statehood holiday... the link that was sent earlier regarding the states was kind of interesting... it didn't mention that in Hawaii we got Christmas off... there for making me wonder about the validity of the list.

Does anyone know of a specific link that would direct me to a list that would show me what states "Statehood Day" give there State employees off with out trying to decipher what all the Holidays meant...

that link was interesting however very hard to decipher.
                          Last edited by damontucker; September 1, 2006, 09:06 PM.

Comment

There's white kids who were born and raised in COMPTON ?
                            Are your sure about that ?
                            http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                            Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                            Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki
                              There's white kids who were born and raised in COMPTON ?
                              Are your sure about that ?
                              damn so much stereotyping... compton has blacks and whites... only the blacks seem to get the attention..... geez... If I'm half black and HALF WHITE and born in compton in 69... and I visited there two years ago and saw white kids that were obviously local to compton then.... yes... I assume there are white people in compton born and raised there...

I don't know you so I won't jump on you.

hey... come to our get together and you might just become a friend of a Half Black person ... all be damnit!
                              Last edited by damontucker; September 1, 2006, 09:23 PM.

Comment

damn so much stereotyping... compton has blacks and whites... only the blacks seem to get the attention..... geez... If I'm half black and HALF WHITE and born in compton in 69... and I visited there two years ago and saw white kids that were obviously local to compton then.... yes... I assume there are white people in compton born and raised there...

I don't know you so I won't jump on you.

hey... come to our get together and you might just become a friend of a Half Black person... all be damnit!
                                Sorry Manoa...I was half joking ;-) It's just that Compton is not really KNOWN for it's white community. Don't jump on me, I really never heard of any real white community in Compton, and I've been in LA for 12 years now. Then again I've never driven through it...I think those NWA records scared me away ;-)
                                Maybe those white kids were bussed in ;-)

And I WOULD come to your get together if I was on the island, but I won't be until December, and I DO have friends of all colors...skin color never stopped me from being someone's friend, just a bad attitude.

Growing up in the suburbs of Long Island, my first band in high school had a black lead singer/bass player. We were a rock band and we mostly played RUSH songs ! Back in 1980, it was pretty unusual to have black people and white people playing together in rock bands (let alone singing like Geddy Lee!)...It never mattered to me, as they guy was great, and we liked the same music.
                                Horribly enough, I found out years later, that some kids who lived in the neighborhood, that I grew up with since kindergarden(!) would never come see us because we had a N.... in the band !!! How crazy is that ?
                                Mind you, this isn't in Kentucky somewhere...this is NY !!!
                                Now, you see multi racial bands all the time, and no one thinks twice about it...back then it was almost unheard of.
                                The best thing is, he recently moved to Cali, and we've been hanging out together alot since he moved here, and our friendship is as good as it ever was, after about 25 years of only seeing the guy a few times.
                                http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                                Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                                Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Working...
                                X