Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New smoking ban

Originally posted by douglas View Post
    Apparently the DOH report on the economic impact of the smoking ban is now posted on their web site. No doubt AlohaKine will dispute the findings. I would expect no less from him and the bar owners who don’t believe that smoking causes cancer.
    No doubt I will. Can you say coverup. Where's the bar gross liquor sales and bar profits we were promised? They have them and they hid them because they are shameful. It only talks about the whole of the food and drink industry to cover the data with every restaurant on the island that wasn't effected. This is typical anti-smoking lobby tactics.

Where's the overall international tourism data and they admitted that Japanese revenues are down 8% post ban and then used chart abuse to focus on less shocking subsets of data.

The DOH is an active part of the anti-smoking lobby and Hyland is a pro at doing the antis bidding for money. It's like the wolf guarding the hen house. DOH = total bias and fraud!!!!!!!

Comment

Wow, look how many people care about an anti-smoker Hawaii so much that they won't even part with even one dollar for it. Then again, why bother when the antis steal millions from smokers via taxes and the MSA. The $20 was "seed" money, kind of like when the piano man puts a buck in his own jar so you know that's what it is there for.

They didn't get even ONE donation of the $3000 bucks they wanted other then the seed $20. LOL
      Last edited by AlohaKine; March 13, 2008, 09:24 PM.

Comment

There's an ugly and false threat letter and admission of guilt statement based on lies about the smoking ban law being circulated to bars from the Office of the Attoney General. No bar in their right mind should touch it. If they refuse to sign, nothing happens. The DOH knows that all you have to do is have the signs up and inform violators. However, they don't like this fact. So after a year of standing up to the DOH's foolishness, a chump Deputy AG in the health branch is now hanging himself with a willfully false letter. The AG's office refuses to even stand for the truthfulness of the letter. The guy who wrote it says he "doesn't know if what he wrote was true". So either he's a complete fool that can't even understand a simple law or he's an out and out liar.

Does Bennett even realize how damaging this will be when the blowback happens? Did he even read it?
        Last edited by AlohaKine; April 18, 2008, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Well the pinheads in the Hawaii County Council overrided mayor Kim's veto of banning smoking in ALL county parks, beaches and golf courses. Keep in mind, according to the law there is no "smoking area" at any of these "public" open air places.

The tobacco ban, the first of its kind enacted in Hawaii, became law when the County Council voted 7-2 Tuesday to override Mayor Harry Kim's recent veto of the anti-smoking legislation.
          ironic that Kim is rightfully concerned about increased sulfur dioxide emissions from Kilauea volcano, but not second-hand cigarette smoke that has far more harmful chemicals.

"I find that a little bit inconsistent," Hoffmann said before voting in support of the override.

Hilo Councilman J Yoshimoto, the bill's author, said he's "extremely disappointed" with Kim's objection and feels the law causes no harm.

"The message is the bill helps everyone," Yoshimoto said. "I think this legislation is a great example of doing the right thing."

In his April 7 veto letter to lawmakers, Kim called it "very impractical and unfair" to pass a ban without including areas where people can smoke.

"Smoking could be prohibited in such areas," he wrote of parks designed for children, "but still allowed in parking lots or other designated areas."

IMO...This ban will hurt the Big Island's visitor industry and a lot of people will blatantly break this(hard to enforce) law. Whats next "hibachi banning"?

The ban, which applies to all county gymnasiums, rodeo arenas, the Hilo Drag Strip, and beach parks, carries a $100 fine.

Source
          Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
          Flickr

Comment

As awful and bigoted as this ordinance is, it does serve a purpose. To put to bed the ostensible "selling points" that the anti-smoker lobby uses to push bans such a environmental tobacco smoke, youth access, littering, ect. These are used for one reason only, because the antis have been quoted as saying that telling somebody else what to do by law with their own body doesn't sell.

Check out this quote; [I]"Smokers will smoke less and we're setting an example for the kids," Yoshimoto said. "This is looking out for the greater good."

Yoshimoto's wife is the East Hawaii coordinator for the Coalition for a Tobacco-Free Hawaii."[/
            I] ( from a seattle newspaper )

In other words a strict littering ban won't be bigoted - so he doesn't want that. The very sight of people who smoke is offensive to the antis. The very sight of us hurts kids in Bigot Yoshimoto's opinion. In 2006 it was walk twenty feet into the rain, now in some places it will be 2000 ft - each way.

$100 fine just for being a smoker, even 1000 ft from a non-smoker and using a pocket ashtray so littering doesn't happen. Bigotry to the MAX.

There is one thing smokers and friends of smokers can do to turn this tide of hate and that's to join the only action-oriented group against it at =
            hawaiismokersalliance.com .

Comment

I dunno how they are going to enforce this ban against the biggest offender on the Big Island... Madame Pele. Her smoke so bad it's polluting the entire state, more than all the human smokers in the islands do. Purple warnings anyone?

Banning smoking outside is ridiculous. And I am a non-smoker.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Like I said before, make the smell of cigarette smoke smell like a barbecue and suddenly everybody will be happy! And make cigarette butts biodegradable so there won't be any problems with the jerks that like to use the Aina as an ashtray. As a matter of fact maybe cigarette butts can be made out of fertilizer so it'll actually make the aina better!
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                  Like I said before, make the smell of cigarette smoke smell like a barbecue and suddenly everybody will be happy! And make cigarette butts biodegradable so there won't be any problems with the jerks that like to use the Aina as an ashtray. As a matter of fact maybe cigarette butts can be made out of fertilizer so it'll actually make the aina better!
                  There are speciality cigs that taste/smell like mint or fruit - they smell great IMO. I've also smelled BBQ's that smell terrible, such as when people put wood, trash, ect in them. BBQ's cooking meat also release heterocyclic aromatics which are know cancer causers.

Make it $500 bucks to litter one and it would all but stop, same as in Singapore.

Comment

$500 and a stiff caning.
                    FutureNewsNetwork.com
                    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                      $500 and a stiff caning.
                      I know where you can get it for half that price ... if that's what you're into.

Comment

Funny they banned the cigs from county parks, but no fireworks ban....go figga!
                        Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                        Flickr

Comment

Is the beach/parks no smoking law in effect here on Oahu too?

I smoke - a lot - and it really bugs me to see cigarette butts on the beaches. Know how I deal with that? Pick them up. Same as I do whenever I see litter of any kind.

If they want to ban smoking on the beach, maybe they should also ban soda cans and bottles, styrofoam plates, newspapers, diapers, Doritos bags, etc... cuz I end up picking up and disposing of all of that cr@p too. (hey, why is cr@p underlined?) And also obese people, as they too are clearly endangering thier own health and stressing our collective healthcare dollars!
                          ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
                            Funny they banned the cigs from county parks, but no fireworks ban....go figga!
                            Okay so make public smoking legal only on the Forth of July and on New Years eve.

Actually maybe that should be the compromise. Smoking in public places legal only during school hours when the majority of the keiki SHOULD be in school away and away from public places.

Now in a totally unrelated but related sidenote, My 10-year old asks me what bullets are made of. I tell him lead. He then asks, "Isn't lead poisonous?" Then he says, "you can die from lead poisoning". How ironic.
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
                              IMO...This ban will hurt the Big Island's visitor industry and a lot of people will blatantly break this(hard to enforce) law. Whats next "hibachi banning"?
                              Source
                              Yep. Going to the Big Island tonight, and I plan to be smoking there too.

Hee hee Craig - It's not the lead in the bullets that'll kill ya...
                              ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                                Yep. Going to the Big Island tonight, and I plan to be smoking there too.

Hee hee Craig - It's not the lead in the bullets that'll kill ya...
                                You might want to do your drinking in Kona, there are some smoker friendly bars there including Sam's Hideaway.

As for the no-smoking signs on the beach, they will likely be destroyed and/or defaced after a while. As it should be.

Comment

Working...
                                X