New smoking ban

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New smoking ban

As for bars losing income... perhaps no fewer drinkers will come out, but those who smoke will have to wander outside to light up. When they're outside, they're not drinking... thus the bar loses money. Sure it might be one or two drinks total over the course of a night per person, but in the long run it will add up.

It'll be interesting to see how enforced this law will be.

Comment

Do they still have a cigar lounge in Honolulu?

Can someone set up their own place to hang out and have a cigarette and drink if it's their own property? If anything... just a Keg on private property somewhere...and people paying $.50 per fill up or something???? and then they can smoke all they want....What is the size limit of amount of people you have on your own property?

When do private parties venture into actual business laws??? especially if your only thinking of breaking even and providing a place for smokers?

Promote it as a "smokers" party?

Comment

Originally posted by dick View Post
        As for bars losing income... perhaps no fewer drinkers will come out, but those who smoke will have to wander outside to light up. When they're outside, they're not drinking... thus the bar loses money. Sure it might be one or two drinks total over the course of a night per person, but in the long run it will add up.

Or more non-smoking patrons will patronize those establishments. Has it ever occured to anyone that maybe people are not going out because of the smokers? Now that it's being curbed inside establishments, maybe people will go out more often.

But then again if drinking equates to smoking, and if less people patronize these establishments, then the smoking ban has a residual effect as well...keeping drunks off the streets too.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by jdub View Post
          So now people will have to go outside to smoke. Once they're outside, they're no longer the problem of bar owners or their GMs. At my neighborhood bar (and significant source of supplemental income), people on the street are going to pose a noise and public safety issue in the neighborhood.
          Here's something interesting to think about. In the eyes of the Honolulu Liquor Commission, liquor-serving establishments ARE responsible for the actions of people outside on the sidewalk.

If they make too much noise, get into fights, or cause any other kind of disturbance, the complaints generated by neighbors will have a direct impact on the establishment's ability to keep and/or renew their liquor license.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
            Or more non-smoking patrons will patronize those establishments. Has it ever occured to anyone that maybe people are not going out because of the smokers? Now that it's being curbed inside establishments, maybe people will go out more often.
            Interesting theory. Although most bars I go to already have a contingent of non-smokers. These are places that have regulars. And are filled with smoke. I doubt new patrons would go to these bars just because they are suddenly smoke-free (I doubt new patrons could even find some of these places). And I would think that this applies to other places as well. If you don't go to bars now, why would you suddenly change your lifestyle just because of that?

I seriously think that the number of people so direly opposed to smoke that they won't venture out now, still won't when Nov. 16 rolls around.

Anyway, there are lots of non-smoking bars around. Still can't figure out why it has to be forced on everyone.

Comment

Just thought of this... I would suspect that bars at places like Ala Moana Center will take a hit from the smoking crowd. You won't even be able to just step outside of bars like Mai Tai, or Jackie's Kitchen, etc. You'll have to leave the property (or at least go all the way to the parking lot). There are other bars that will prove themselves more convenient to smokers.

It will be interesting to see how much smokers mean to a bar's bottom line. It might end up being that it really doesn't matter. I'm still open to that possibility.

Comment

Just thought of this... I would suspect that bars at places like Ala Moana Center will take a hit from the smoking crowd. You won't even be able to just step outside of bars like Mai Tai, or Jackie's Kitchen, etc. You'll have to leave the property (or at least go all the way to the parking lot). There are other bars that will prove themselves more convenient to smokers.

It will be interesting to see how much smokers mean to a bar's bottom line. It might end up being that it really doesn't matter. I'm still open to that possibility.
                Some bars might be making a killing by charging a re-admission fee to those that have already paid once just to get in.... can you imagine the money an establishment could make if they had two seperate lines.... one for those that have paid and already entered... and a seperate line for new people?

Someone out there is going to make money off this some how!

And I want a piece of it!

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin View Post
                  Um, cigs don't have instructions on the packs.
                  Good point, which makes me think about it more. Googling, I see the quote is actually, "Cigarettes are the only legal product when used as INTENDED kill".

Comment

It won't be any difrent than Anyhwere, LS USA. Smokers, quit.
                    Don't be mean,
                    try to help.

Comment

Smoking=job security for us nurses, as per a co-worker.

Yeah, I guess so....

Comment

It's really very simple. First ban smoking indoors in steps. Government buildings then private. Next we ban smoking outdoors in steps. First public places then private property. This has happened already. Check out Boulder, CO. Never will it have to be shown that outdoor second hand smoke is dangerous in any significant way. Strictly by inference it is assumed that if it's dangerous indoors it's no damned good outdoors either. Even if it's really just an annoyance to non-smokers. When did our Constitutional rights come to include freedom from annoyance?
                        “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                        http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
                          Someone out there is going to make money off this some how!

And I want a piece of it!
                          anyone want to partner up on an upscale cigar lounge in chinatown? dave? are you in here? anyone?
                          life is ok sometimes

Comment

If it's like other states, smokers in crowded bars will defiantly light up and glare/ignore any patron who "reminds" them that smoking is banned. Meanwhile, busy restaurant employees will pretend not to see the smokers because they don't have time to enforce the ban. I have friends who only smoke when they drink too, and I bet nobody wants to bother a defiant smoker who happens to be really drunk...

For those patrons who leave to go outside and smoke and therefore not drink, I'll help make up for it a little bit, because now I don't have to leave the bar when people are smoking, which means now I can drink more. If I wasn't allergic (thanks mom, for passing on your allergies to me), I wouldn't care so much about the issue. Yes, I avoid places where people smoke, leave if people start lighting up and I can't find some place to avoid the smoke, but I'm kinda hoping I can visit more bars now.
                            Last edited by AbsolutChaos; November 2, 2006, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin View Post
                              Never will it have to be shown that outdoor second hand smoke is dangerous in any significant way. Strictly by inference it is assumed that if it's dangerous indoors it's no damned good outdoors either. Even if it's really just an annoyance to non-smokers. When did our Constitutional rights come to include freedom from annoyance?
                              Whaa? So things like smog from cars are ok since they're outdoors? Maybe it doesn't concentrate around the area like in a closed space, but smoke is smoke is smoke. I have friends who will go into an asthma attack if they are exposed to smoke, inside or out. That doesn't qualify as an annoyance to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Bard View Post
                                Whaa? So things like smog from cars are ok since they're outdoors? Maybe it doesn't concentrate around the area like in a closed space, but smoke is smoke is smoke. I have friends who will go into an asthma attack if they are exposed to smoke, inside or out. That doesn't qualify as an annoyance to me.
                                And is it only cigarette smoke that triggers this attack or would a barbeque or bus cause the same reaction? Would your friends like to ban campfires so they could camp in safety? The thing is smoke is not smoke is not smoke.
                                Last edited by sinjin; November 2, 2006, 07:06 AM.
                                “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                                http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Working...
                                X