Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New smoking ban

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos View Post
    Yes, I avoid places where people smoke, leave if people start lighting up and I can't find some place to avoid the smoke, but I'm kinda hoping I can visit more bars now.
    I’ve been doing this avoidance dance for more than ten years now, but I do not plan to visit a bar soon after November 16, because I think enforcement will be a big question mark. Bar owners and employees will not want to harass loyal customers; and non-smoking customers (if they are smart) will not confront smoking customers.

Originally posted by sinjin View Post
    And is it only cigarette smoke that triggers this attack or would a barbeque or bus cause the same reaction? Would your friends like to ban campfires so they could camp in safety? The thing is smoke is not smoke is not smoke.
    For me personally, cigarette smoke is the one element that triggers an asthmatic attack. Automobile exhaust, campfire smoke, and even smoke from fireworks do not bother me. When I finally stopped going to bars, even the slightest whiff of outdoor cigarette smoke would trigger a serious asthma attack.

To be fair, though, there was one other element that would contribute to one of my asthma attacks -- strong perfume. I guess that gives you an idea of what kind of bars I finally stopped going to.

But after more than ten years, I think I’ve grown too old ... I’m not sure if I even want to go back to that kind of bar again.

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
      But after more than ten years, I think I’ve grown too old ... I’m not sure if I even want to go back to that kind of bar again.
      Bars are unhealthy smoke or no. It's has always seemed strange to me that someone truly concerned with the little things like second hand smoke would want to spend much time in drinking establishments. What does a White Russian taste like when made with soy milk?
      “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
      http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Bars are unhealthy smoke or no. It's has always seemed strange to me that someone truly concerned with the little things like second hand smoke would want to spend much time in drinking establishments. What does a White Russian taste like when made with soy milk?
        Everyone has their vices; cigarettes for some, alcohol for others, gambling, compulsive shopping, whatever. Choose your poison!

Comment

Funny about the belligerant smoker who is drinking. I'm the opposite guy. The belligerant non-smoker who is drinking.

I would pick up a gun to protect your right to smoke a cigarette. But you will never have a peaceful cigarette if I can smell it. As someone said, there is no law against being annoying.
          Last edited by timkona; November 3, 2006, 07:42 AM.
          FutureNewsNetwork.com
          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
            But you will never have a peaceful cigarette if I can smell it. As someone said, there is no law against being annoying.
            Please let me know the next time you come to Oahu... I'd love to watch you "explain" the new law to club kids at Pipeline or Zanzabar and see how they react.

Comment

Hah, touche On the other hand I'll quit caring about it entirely when musicians pick somewhere non-smoky to play. I guess it's not like I personally go to many shows, but I know a lot of non-smokers who are reluctant to do so because of that.

And yeah, I'm the guy who goes to the bar to watch a band and orders a Coke Hard core sugar and caffeine.. wheeew! There's a vice!

Comment

Originally posted by Bard View Post
                I know a lot of non-smokers who are reluctant to do so because of that.
                That's why they make records/CDs. If you like the beach you'll have to deal with the sand and Sun.
                “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Heh, I guess you're right. It's not really the bar's fault that the musicians choose to play there. It's more the musicians' problem that they are playing in a place that will not net them the concert proceeds of non-smokers.

We could go in circles all day about how the musicians don't have as many places to play that would include the non-smokers, and how maybe they'd lose even more money playing in places that preclude smoke, but .. bleh .. whatever I'm too tired to argue it seriously.

Comment

Club Kids. They can be so cute. Especially in the early morning when you can hear them coughing up a small, furry kitten from outta their lungs.

Tough Smoker is one of the classic oxymorons. Like Jumbo Shrimp. Military Intelligence. etc etc

haaaaaaggggggggghtttttttttttttt, pitui. meow.
                    FutureNewsNetwork.com
                    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                      Club Kids. They can be so cute.
                      Have you been to Oahu lately?

Comment

This ban is a cruel attack on the civil rights of a class of people called smokers. The ban leaves smokers with NO comfortable places to enjoy. The attack is spear headed by a web of professional hate groups called big anti-smoking. They are flush with cash they have extorted and stolen from smokers. There tactics and propaganda mirror that of nazi Germany - teaching society to hate smokers.
                        These groups have used deceitful language to explain this law to the general public. One example is the false idea that smoking in the bar will get the bar fined. NOT TRUE!
                        All the bar has to do is post signs and politely ask you to go outside. THAT'S IT! Read the law and brochure for businesses, which is different then the one for the general public. (how deceitful )
                        This means that if you ask to be able to "smoke at your own risk" and they cut you off or make you leave that they have choosen to go beyond the law and treat you like a piece of trash.
                        Smokers should stand up for themselves and only go to places that let you smoke at your own risk. Besides the fine is only $50 and is similar to a parking ticket and doesn't "Provide for physical arrest".
                        The liquor commision is not tasked with enforcement. To report a smoker, a person has to make a formal complaint. The chances of getting caught appear to be small - thats good.
                        Smokers should draw a line in the sand here before they ban it on the street , in cars, and so on. Big anti-smoking is never satisfied and will always lie.
                        Last edited by AlohaKine; November 6, 2006, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Alohakine...

People who have an Axe to Grind, often fly off the handle....I think you need a smoke! Relax... It's alright... now count to 10...

Ok... Everything is gonna be alright....

It's not gonna kill you if your smoke kills them.

Comment

Originally posted by AlohaKine View Post
                            This ban is a cruel attack on the civil rights of a class of people called smokers.
                            There is no civil right that allows smoking! Nothing in the U.S. Constitution that allows smoking! Heck I'll bet that half of the drafters of the Constitution were smokers themselves.

And if there is a class of people called smokers, then where are they in the societal order of humans? Smoking transcends all classes of human species from rich to poor to educated to uneducated, from one gender to another and ethnic race to another.
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

If it is not a big deal then why are they spending so much time and money on it? When they banned smoking in resturants 3 years ago, smokers like me had the ability to just eat at bars with a good menu instead.
                              This left us a gap to slip through, so there was no need to resist. Smokers just trended more to the bars and non-smokers trended more toward non-smoking resturants with bars so it went rather smoothly and business wasn't really effected.
                              Try standing out in the street in the rain trying not to get hit by cars for 5 minutes at a time every 20 minutes for 4 hours and you will feel what this will be like. Hope my drink is still there and my seat is still open when I come back in. Sure I'll survive, but people go out to have fun, not just to survive.
                              I imagine some places will let us "cheat" so I guess that these will become "our" places and the other ones will be for non-smokers. That would be ok with me as long as we weren't messed with at the places that let us. Only time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by AlohaKine View Post
                                These groups have used deceitful language to explain this law to the general public. One example is the false idea that smoking in the bar will get the bar fined. NOT TRUE!
                                All the bar has to do is post signs and politely ask you to go outside. THAT'S IT! Read the law and brochure for businesses, which is different then the one for the general public. (how deceitful )
                                This means that if you ask to be able to "smoke at your own risk" and they cut you off or make you leave that they have choosen to go beyond the law and treat you like a piece of trash.
                                Smokers should stand up for themselves and only go to places that let you smoke at your own risk. Besides the fine is only $50 and is similar to a parking ticket and doesn't "Provide for physical arrest".
                                The liquor commision is not tasked with enforcement. To report a smoker, a person has to make a formal complaint. The chances of getting caught appear to be small - thats good.
                                It seems the owners/managers have the most responsibility, and they can be fined or even risk losing their liquor license. Here is what the new law says:

§ -12 Penalties. (a) A person who smokes in an area where smoking is prohibited by this chapter shall be guilty of a violation and fined not more than $50 to be deposited into the general fund. The district courts may assess costs not to exceed $25 for issuing a penal summons upon any person who fails to appear at the place within the time specified in the citation issued to the person.
                                (b) Any authorized police officer, upon making an arrest, shall take the name and address of the alleged violator and shall issue the violator a summons or citation in writing.
                                (c) There shall be provided for use by an officer or employee of the respective government jurisdictions, duly authorized to issue a summons or citation, or any police officer, a form of summons or citation for use in citing a violator of this chapter that shall not provide for the physical arrest of the violator. The form and content of this summons or citation shall be as adopted or prescribed by the administrative judge of the district court. When a citation is issued, the original of the citation shall be given to the violator; provided that the administrative judge of the district court may prescribe that the violator be given a copy of the citation and provide for the disposition of the original and any other copies. Every citation shall be consecutively numbered and each copy shall bear the same number as its respective original.
                                (d) If any person fails to comply with a penal summons given to the person, the court shall issue a warrant for the person’s arrest.
                                (e) Any police officer or other officer or employee of the respective government jurisdictions may eject from the premises any person to whom a citation has been issued and who continues to smoke after the person has been so cited.
                                (f) A person who owns, manages, operates, or otherwise controls any place or facility designated by this chapter and fails to comply with this chapter shall be guilty of a violation and fined:
                                (1) Not more than $100 for a first violation;
                                (2) Not more than $200 for a second violation within one year of the date of the first violation; and
                                (3) Not more than $500 for each additional violation within one year of the date of the preceding violation.
                                (g) In addition to the fines established by this section, violation of this chapter by a person who owns, manages, operates, or otherwise controls any place or facility designated by this chapter may result in the suspension or revocation of any permit or license issued to the person or the place for the premises on which the violation occurred.
                                (h) Each day on which a violation of this chapter occurs shall be considered a separate and distinct violation.
                                Last edited by SouthKona; November 6, 2006, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X