No announcement yet.

Political Correctness - GET OVER IT !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Political Correctness - GET OVER IT !!

Absolutely. A person from the Northland who's ancestory has adjusted to the climate will be shorter and stockier (Innuet) than I person of a temperate climate. An individual from Africa generally will be more wiry and have longer appendages than an individual from a less extreme, more mild climate. Some traits, such as height are more readily affected by genes, although some scientists will even debate that as it appears diet and other external pressures influence even these seemingly cemented attributes. However, if you were to take a young child and raise them in an environment that is different than the one that their families were raised in, despite the genetic coding you will still have a variation in the individual to acclimate to that climate (i.e. longer, thinner limbs or a shorter stockier build) which is an illustration of Allen's Rule. Also, a while back if you remember, it was postulated that the reason Kenyans and other East African's excelled at distance running was because of their evolved response to their environment, namely an increased lung capacity and recovery rate. This doesn't really hold up as it was discovered that only a handful of Ethiopian societies produced the world class runners seen in the Olympics and other marathon events. Other societies which were genetically very similar, if not more or less identical, failed to produce top runners. The differences between the two seem to be in the cultural practices and the emphasis one society stresses upon such things as distance running, as apposed to being genetically based which would mean both of the groups should have similar yields, or at least individuals of similar ability. For your Hawaii question, yes, the Pake athletes may not be as tall as their counterparts who have maxed out due to genes and environmental interaction, but high is hardly an indicator of athletic ability. This arguement was based on innate athletic abilities more regularly associated with certain races because of that race's genetic makeup. This is not the case. Athletic traits like lung capacity, recovery time, etc. are more adaptations to an environment than "preprogrammed material" (adaptations not evolved or derived characteristics). Of course you do get the occasional freak-of-nature whose genes outright put them at an advantage (such as Lance Armstrong) but these anamolies are not associated with any one specific race. It would be the same to say that one race is inherently more intelligent or genetically predisposed to crime, or even better at card games than another. With this kind of fallacious thought, eugenics is groomed to make an appearance. It was eugenicists that did all of the early testing for racial athletic ability, cognitive capacity based on craniometry and IQ tests, and other things. (Guess what? They never found any actually discrepancies, except through experimental inconsistencies and fudging data, because after all we couldn't all be more or less equal could we? I mean we look so different! ) Variation does exists amongst populations (not entire races, the subject of which could constitute its own thread), but I've said it before and I'll say it again, we really aren't that divergent from one another, otherwise we'd all be different species. Environment and acclimation are more important for athleticism than ones race. For combating different diseases and such, I agree that some population's genetics do make a difference, but that's not really the case with athleticism. (And, remember that just because a family group within a population has a gene that might significantly alter their phenotype, like Lance Armstrong, does not indicate an entire racial prevalence). Hope that's a little more lucid. This topic is still debated among biologists but more and more biologists are favoring the environmental influences over strictly genetic dominance because anatomical studies don't indicate much if any genetic basis for athleticism.

Edit: to address the jumping discrepancy: things such as body mass (diet) and muscle percentages come into play. And how often are these kids jumping? My friends Black, White and Asian can school me on the court and can put me to shame in a vertical leap contest despite the fact that I'm significantly taller than they are simply because I don't practice as often as they do.

I've actually been doing some more reading on this an am coming across different takes, but the scientific basis for the counter assertions is shaky at best, and the whole "just watch sports" logical fallacy doesn't qualify as evidence any more than Africans constituting the majority of felons and therefore being naturally more delinquent does. I guess you have to choose who you believe, Gould or Entine.
    Last edited by Whitepoint3rchum; January 19, 2007, 08:28 PM.
    "Hey fool, we gots yo leada!"
    "But I can't even read good."
    "Whatever that means, you ____ peasant."
    "That (stuff) is the MOST BALLER THING EVAAA!!!!"

Comment

Additionally in the post above asserting 50% of Americans are feeble minded, the glaring error is just that. That statistic was derived by eugenicists from an IQ test, which we all know are bunk.

Comment

NONE of what you said is breaking news. But you choose to cling on to certain beliefs to compensate for your shortcomings.

Edit: to address the jumping discrepancy: things such as body mass (diet) and muscle percentages come into play. And how often are these kids jumping? My friends Black, White and Asian can school me on the court and can put me to shame in a vertical leap contest despite the fact that I'm significantly taller than they are simply because I don't practice as often as they do.
        LOL. It's all about practice right? I can tell you have never competed at any level as an athlete. So if everyone practices the same amount they would all be equal?
        You need to bring into factor the fast twitch muscle fibers type II B<----that give people the explosive strength to jump high and run fast. Some people and "races(I use this loosely)" are born with more type II B muscle fibers. Some are born with more Slow twitch Type I fibers. Through exercise/environment/diet you can change these muscle fibers to a "certain" degree. But no matter how hard you train you will never be as fast as Carl lewis. You will never be able to jump like Michael Jordan. And you will never bench press more than me. Yes, environment and culture play roles. But with out the genetics ....you will only be average at best.

Athletics is my field. I have seen people work their butt off and end up nowhere. They just don't have the genetics to succeed in certain sports. It's the fact of life...not everyone is created equal. "GET OVER IT"

Keep in mind. I'm talking real time" . No need for an "evolution" debate.
        But what ever you wish to believe ....is up to you. Good luck with life bro.

This will be my final post on this subject.

Comment

Originally posted by Whitepoint3rchum View Post
          The above post was not an attack on the general public, just the ones that think they are veritable experts.
          Like you?

Lots of observations of what is and what isn't but the bottom line is look at the line up of successful athletes out there and look at the race they belong to. You don't have to be a veritable expert to see that.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by PoiBoy View Post
            NONE of what you said is breaking news. But you choose to cling on to certain beliefs to compensate for your shortcomings.

LOL. It's all about practice right? I can tell you have never competed at any level as an athlete. So if everyone practices the same amount they would all be equal?
            You need to bring into factor the fast twitch muscle fibers type II B<----that give people the explosive strength to jump high and run fast. Some people and "races(I use this loosely)" are born with more type II B muscle fibers. Some are born with more Slow twitch Type I fibers. Through exercise/environment/diet you can change these muscle fibers to a "certain" degree. But no matter how hard you train you will never be as fast as Carl lewis. You will never be able to jump like Michael Jordan. And you will never bench press more than me. Yes, environment and culture play roles. But with out the genetics ....you will only be average at best.

Athletics is my field. I have seen people work their butt off and end up nowhere. They just don't have the genetics to succeed in certain sports. It's the fact of life...not everyone is created equal. "GET OVER IT"

Keep in mind. I'm talking real time" . No need for an "evolution" debate.
            But what ever you wish to believe ....is up to you. Good luck with life bro.

This will be my final post on this subject.
            Love the clear assumptions about me. Yes, I've played futbol, football, cross country, track, and basketball and while I prefer academics to sports when I've dedicated myself I'm easily able to perform at or above the level of my other teammates. Sure you might say bs, but I'm not kidding (save for dribbling in b-ball and all around baseball as I don't have the years of focused skill practice) conditioning, agility, and dexterity must come naturally to me. I guess I just hit the genetic lottery. (I've only lost sprints consistently to one African friend of mine in all my years, and this preformance had earned me the nickname "White Lightning")

As far as fast muscle twitch - LOL- there is an ongoing discussion within academia about whether is is possible to train yourself to increase muscle responses. Generally this kinda stuff doesn't make it to the public b/c uncertainty isn't as compelling as absolutes. (Kinda like the supposed but nonexistant scientific controversy over evolution-ID). That's all. I really don't have time to continue reading your pseudoscientific material or your opinions, in the future we may discover compelling evidence suggesting one "race" may be superior athletically, but currently we just don't have sufficient evidence except for the fact that Africans appear to dominate on TV. That would be a logical fallacy in an argument and that's the reason why I discounted it as actual evidence. (BTW I was talking real time, I don't know how many times I have to say that)

In case you didn't know I'm a biologist in training (although not in the field specifically of evolution or HBV I have had the opportunity to work with the leaders in both of those fields).

Alright I'm pau with this topic. Let's move on. I was looking forward more to instigating an argument with Timmy Kona in this thread, but he didn't bite. Despite the vehement debate here, I hope we can respect each other around the boards.

Comment

Highschool?
              Originally posted by Whitepoint3rchum View Post
              Love the clear assumptions about me. Yes, I've played futbol, football, cross country, track, and basketball and while I prefer academics to sports when I've dedicated myself I'm easily able to perform at or above the level of my other teammates. Sure you might say bs, but I'm not kidding (save for dribbling in b-ball and all around baseball as I don't have the years of focused skill practice) conditioning, agility, and dexterity must come naturally to me. I guess I just hit the genetic lottery. (I've only lost sprints consistently to one African friend of mine in all my years, and this preformance had earned me the nickname "White Lightning")
              You also said:
              My friends Black, White and Asian can school me on the court and can put me to shame in a vertical leap contest despite the fact that I'm significantly taller than they are simply because I don't practice as often as they do."

Contradicting statements there bro. You prove to be a liar.

As far as fast muscle twitch - LOL- there is an ongoing discussion within academia about whether is is possible to train yourself to increase muscle responses. Generally this kinda stuff doesn't make it to the public b/c uncertainty isn't as compelling as absolutes. (Kinda like the supposed but nonexistant scientific controversy over evolution-ID). That's all. I really don't have time to continue reading your pseudoscientific material or your opinions, in the future we may discover compelling evidence suggesting one "race" may be superior athletically, but currently we just don't have sufficient evidence except for the fact that Africans appear to dominate on TV. That would be a logical fallacy in an argument and that's the reason why I discounted it as actual evidence. (BTW I was talking real time, I don't know how many times I have to say that)
              In case you didn't know I'm a biologist in training (although not in the field specifically of evolution or HBV I have had the opportunity to work with the leaders in both of those fields).
              Good luck. LOL

Well your credibility just flew out the window. END OF STORY.

Comment

My God *shakes head*
                Doesn't understand what a logical fallacy is, "Oh no, I mistyped on an internet forum I'm not infalliable, oh no!", jacks comments outa context, selective hearing when his semi-literate mother reads him other peoples postings (assumptions, I can make 'em to), seems to think my credibility hinges on an online community, obviously has no collegiate experience as rhetoric and debate skills are unrefined and sophomoric, reads popular science and thinks he is an expert, and he is a laughable affront to academia. Stereotypical imbecile: PoiBoy. You weren't able to identify the glaring rhetorical misdteps in my arguments (I do that to see if the person is intelligent enough to actually wage a real factual debate with) and you kept hitting on points I addressed over and over and over. Damn, and I thought timkona was the most arrogant, annoying person on HT, but at least he has the cognitive ability that affords him the ability to be that way without looking like a joke... ROFLMAO. Do the world a favor and sterilize yourself (the one time you will see me advocate eugenics). Alright, ignore time.

BTW: What happened to the previous post being your last? Oh no, a petty oversight, thus logically..... YOU'RE A LIAR!!!!!!!!!! (< at least according to your logic... a b4 you cite it I WAS pau with the topic until I saw you still haven't wisened up. Sorry, but your family was incorrect, you are not an intelligent man/boy. If you're still a kid all I can say is kiss the merit scholarship, Johns Hopkins Talent Search offers goodbye.) Your assessment of things is at the feeble minded level, I'm going to say maybe you're twelve? If you're older, then damn fool, you're a disgrace to the race. Don't bother reply to this with another one of your intellectually vapid posts, as I've put you on ignore (I know it takes multiple posts to get through your cranium, as some of what I've said has still yet to penetrate it, so I thought I'd rehash the above ^ statement in case that too escaped your astounding critical reading capabilities.) Peace sucker.
                Last edited by Whitepoint3rchum; January 22, 2007, 08:14 PM.

Comment

MELTDOWN.

First you said:
                  My friends Black, White and Asian can school me on the court and can put me to shame in a vertical leap contest despite the fact that I'm significantly taller than they are simply because I don't practice as often as they do."

Then you said:
                  conditioning, agility, and dexterity must come naturally to me. I guess I just hit the genetic lottery. (I've only lost sprints consistently to one African friend of mine in all my years, and this preformance had earned me the nickname "White Lightning")

Let the people judge for themselves.

Comment

^See what I told you? The man is just a dumbass in paradise. (fuggin' doesn't even comprehend /ignore)... to funny. This will probably be the last time I argue something objective strongly on this forum as its getting rediculous and what with the access to the all the internet material I might as well just go argue with wikipedia, it would be no different.

Just remember Poidog, you ain't (<not grammatically incorrect) a mathematician, you ain't a linguist, you ain't a chemist, a physicist, or a biologist. Stick with what you're good at (i.e. spamming internet boards to rack up post count) and leave the advanced material to those of us who have put in hours, and studied the fields.

PS-Be careful who you argue with, after all there is no way of telling who is behind the computer screen; The fact that you so quickly disregarded my side of the argument which was supported by Harvard biologist Steven J. Gould, UCLA biologist Jared Diamond, Berkeley biologists Kevin Padian and Leslea Hlusko, as well as biological anthropologist John Relethford, as well as countless scientific papers into comparative anatomy and PBS (hehe), should make you feel like an assclown if you're not too much of a chauvinist to admit it to yourself. Prof. Poidog, that's what I'm going to refer to you as.

Comment

Working...
                    X