Offensive Letter To The Editor About Puna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Offensive Letter To The Editor About Puna

Regarding: "Actually Aaron I thought your initial premise concerning the shifting of tax revenue from Kona to upgrade Hilo's infrastructure likely true, at least once upon a time. It's just you provide no concrete data supporting this "shafting". I could find none myself. For me it's important to justify my opinions by investigation of the matter. I've been misinformed before."

I am new to this list, thanks to Aaron. I did the Level of Service study in 1998 or so. I'll talk about that later. But we also, in 1992, did a complete study, back to 1950, of per capita taxes paid, and capital improvements received, for Puna, Hilo, and the Rest of the Island -we were focusing on Puna for the Puna Community Development Plan at the time. [Getting the information on taxes was a story in itself, of opening file drawers while backs were turned and finding files that officials claimed didn't exist, and spending weeks in the finance office going through every annual audit.]

Anyway, what we found was that up until about 1956, two years after the Democratic Revotution, the taxes paid per capita and spending received was pretty equally spread among all districts. If you know your history, you know that that is about when sugar began to die, tourism started to take off, and the County of Hawaii went on a subdividing frenzy in Puna and Ka'u. From then until 1992, and I am 90% sure continuing until now, Hilo paid way less in taxes per capita, and received way more in CIP spending than any other districts.

This was accomplished in various ways that still apply.
    Homeowner exemptions and lower rates: Hilo has a far higher level of homeownership than Kona. Puna is similar in ownership rates to Hilo but has so many vacant lots that were created specifically to tax absentee owners to subsidize Hilo. The rate structure became so skewed to keep Hilo's taxes low that by 1994 a vacant lot in Puna typically paid more in taxes than the lot with the owner-occupied house next door. (Now there's a great way to provide for services for incoming residents!). And in Kona, as property values rose, tax bills rose even more, paid by renters.

The further complicating factor, which we didn't look at at the time, was the effect on the operating budget. If all that CIP spending accumulated a Level of Service of almost 10 acres of developed county park per 1000 people for Hilo vs under 2 acres for Puna, in 1998 (when we did the LOS study) what does that mean for salaries and retirements paid to park staff in Hilo vs Puna (or Kona)? (Note: 5 acres of active park per 1000 is the national and Hawaii County standard.) It means that the operating budget is heavily skewed to Hilo long after CIP stops, making corrections almost impossible.

Note that the data we developed is not disputed by anyone that I know of in the County. In fact, County officials happily provided me with the damning data. The good ones are just a disgusted as I am. Also note that since there has been about 5 acres of new park in Puna since then and no parks in Hilo shut down, while Puna's population has probably doubled, the Level of service disparity between Hilo and Puna is far worse now than in 1998.

Among other factors to consider: Most of the miles driven by Puna and Ocean View residents are on roads they maintain at their own expense. Yet the gas burned contributes federal, state, and county gas taxes. We once did a spreadsheet to calculate a dollar amount of county gas taxes produced annually by gas burned on HOVE roads. It was in the hundreds of thousands ten years ago. No doubt millions now. County DPW officials recognized this, and some forward thinking ones were considering giving the subdivisions road corporations a county subsidy - because the subdivisions make transportation dollars go so much farther than government, and it is patently unsustainable to keep collecting gas taxes and then telling those subdivisions they must maintain their own roads. This is further complicated by the fact that in 1968 the county widened their minimum road Right Of Way standards specifically to prevent the subdivisions they had just approved, from ever being able to dedicate their roads to the County.

It is a complicated business. Remember that Hilo was washed away in 1960 and felt justified in sucking from all over.

Interesting discussion. I would like to encourage current a future data diggers. It is all there. I had been defending Hilo's greed with some of the urban vs. rural arguments I have seen here, but the data made me eat my words. Hilo was and is a hugely disproportionate winner, and the situation continues to deteriorate as Kona, Puna, and Ka'u gain population. Even if the political will existed, what exactly would we do to correct it?

Comment

Ala Nihi, welcome to HT and what a fabulous entrance you made. I appreciate reading your overview and would like to learn further what data did you specifically look at that drove these conclusions?

pax

Comment

Ala Nihi, welcome to HT also. I appreciate your contribution to this thread also.That was my point in why I forwarded you the link to it. As I felt you could supply some meaningful facts to support my argument.
        Check out my blog on Kona issues :
        The Kona Blog

Comment

Regarding specific data: For tax records we got the annual tax accounting of revenues from the tax office - it breaks receipts down by district, tax category, total valuations, etc. Prior to 1967 or so, county taxes were collected by the state, but the old files have been transferred to the county tax office. For the capital spending by district we had to tally line items for every project in the County annual reports. We had to make a few arbitrary decisions there - some projects, such as roadways get their funds from a changing mix of sources. But we decided that even if all the funds were not from county property tax revenues, it better represented political decisions about proportionate shares for the districts to include all county capital improvement projects. The documentation fills a file box.

We got out population data from county data books, and before the 1970s from simple interpolations of Census data.

For Level of Service, we relied on inventories from County Departments. They have inventories of parks, police stations, staffing by area, etc., for the asking. All you have to do is divide it by the thousands of people in that district. Quite simple. What is revealing is that such simple to calculate and universally accepted methods of measuring equal treatment in public serrvices is NOT in tables in the County Data Book.

Our 1998 Level of service Study, while ignored in PUBLIC by public officials, evidently made some waves in backrooms. After that the Police Department started reporting Level of Serice in things like their section of the County General Plan, trying to close police stations where no one lived anymore, and put new ones and more personnel in Puna. They appeared to get it that the population of Hawaiian Paradise Park alone is several times the total population of North Hilo, Hamakua and North Kohala put togehter, but HPP has NO public services. It may also have helped that I filed a federal Environmental Justice Complaint with the Department of Justice regarding police protection. Because the Police Department receives federal funds from DOJ, they must comply with civil rights regulations regarding equal treatment of low-income communities. Police officers and officials were privately grateful for the excuse we provided in their constant battle with the politics of favoritism.

If you look at my website, bonniegoodell.com, you can also look at the EJ Complaint to the federal Department of Transportation and their Finding. That was an even more egregious situation. Our whistleblowing led to all kinds of backroom handwringing (which we only glimpsed), and public posturing, and ultimately to the Puna Circulation Plan funding and the new Puna CDP.

An HDOT officials recently noted on the Trib's front page that a mid-level road through HPP must wait for future long range planning. That problem is a direct result of the data fraud that we filed the federal complaint about. The data was invented in 1992, for the Hawaii Long Range Transporation Plan. The HLRTP must be the source for any federally funded project on the annual HDOT Transportation Improvement Project (TIP) List. I and others on their Citizens Advisory Committee screamed bloody murder about the polutation projections inputted into the traffic models for four years. They ignored us. When they put out the bad HLRTP in 1998 we filed a federal complaint. We then had to goad the feds to follow their own rules and investigate. When they Found we were completely right, the County and the State commenced hilarious mutual finger pointing. BUT, that completely discredited HLRTP (which projected virtually no future population growth in Puna except in future subdivisions planned for Keaau by W.H. Shipman) is still the foundation document which must be the source for any TIP project, and as far as I know there is still no movement to update that plan. Maybe they are waiting for me to die.

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
            The explanation does not make any sense to me. I cited my supporting evidence. None of you want to believe it since its too old. But I strongly believe the services/infrastructure disparity does exist.
            Now you are making two different arguments. If you scroll back, you will see I only disputed your bashing of Mayor Kim’s statement of $2 for every $1 in tax. I never said their wasn’t an overall service/infrastructure disparity — but as Ala Nihi points out, that’s because of decades of neglect PRIOR to Mayor Kim taking office. You yourself have admitted that at least one situation can be blamed for a decision made 30 years ago.

As I’ve said twice now, in the West Hawai‘i Today article, Mayor Kim is almost certainly talking about what is happening during his administration, or at least including that time period. Therefore, Aaron, it was a cheap shot for you to dismiss him using unscientific “supporting evidence” (you drove to Puna and had a look around).

Re-read Monkeyman's post. That's a good starting point to understanding what Tim and Joshuatree are trying to convey. To me, the explanation is simple enough for a 7th grader to understand: Low density = higher infrastructure cost. In other words the county could spend $2 for every $1 in tax and Puna would STILL appear to be getting less to the naked eye. Duh!!!

Originally posted by Ala Nihi View Post
            Puna is similar in ownership rates to Hilo but has so many vacant lots that were created specifically to tax absentee owners to subsidize Hilo.
            And now we get to the heart of the matter. First of all, welcome, Ala Nihi. Finally someone who can argue Aaron’s side with real data.

I personally object to the idea of absentee owners buying up property in Puna, or anywhere else in our tiny island community. So if the objective of making more lots was spurred by speculators, I say good for them. Local land should be for people who live here. The reason property is so expensive in Hawai‘i is because we don’t have any means of discouraging outside investment. And that means more of our island sons and daughters must unfortunately, disconnect with the ‘aina, and move away.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
            USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
              I personally object to the idea of absentee owners buying up property in Puna, or anywhere else in our tiny island community. So if the objective of making more lots was spurred by speculators, I say good for them. Local land should be for people who live here. The reason property is so expensive in Hawai‘i is because we don’t have any means of discouraging outside investment. And that means more of our island sons and daughters must unfortunately, disconnect with the ‘aina, and move away.
              This is a central issue for me and I wholeheartedly agree with your perspective.

And many thanks to Ala Nihi for bringing meat to the table. I'd say welcome but it is I who feels the guest here.

And thank you too Aaron for your efforts.
              Last edited by sinjin; June 15, 2007, 05:04 AM.
              “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
              http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

As I’ve said twice now, in the West Hawai‘i Today article, Mayor Kim is almost certainly talking about what is happening during his administration, or at least including that time period. Therefore, Aaron, it was a cheap shot for you to dismiss him using unscientific “supporting evidence” (you drove to Puna and had a look around).
                It wasn't a cheap shot at all. Has Mayor Kim done anything to remedy the disparity between Hilo and the other districts over the last 7 years- NO.

Re-read Monkeyman's post. That's a good starting point to understanding what Tim and Joshuatree are trying to convey. To me, the explanation is simple enough for a 7th grader to understand: Low density = higher infrastructure cost. In other words the county could spend $2 for every $1 in tax and Puna would STILL appear to be getting less to the naked eye. Duh!!!
                Take a look at Bonnie Goodell's data and you'll see why I don't buy that Puna gets back double that it sends to Hilo in property taxes.

If you question my intelligence once again, that will score you a trip to my ignore list.

And now we get to the heart of the matter. First of all, welcome, Ala Nihi. Finally someone who can argue Aaron’s side with real data.
                What a cheap shot, I backed up my argument with raw data as requested. But then you complained that the data was too old...sheesh.You really want to shoot the messenger. eh
                The Kona Blog

Comment

I give up
                  Whatever I'm over it.
                  Aaron - you got a funny way of showing that you are done (by continuing to respond.)

You do know I'm just teasing you, yeah? Cause I would SO fear getting this status:
                  that will score you a trip to my ignore list.

Comment

You gotta be careful on just who are absentee owners. Living here in Puna and working at Home Depot, there are quite a few landowners here that are local Kamaaina types too. Many got their lands from parents who lived in the Puna area but live on Oahu or even in Hilo. Land was cheap decades ago and some parents thought it would be a good idea to buy land cheap (like $7,000 per acre) back in the 60's and 70's for their kids. These kids are now adults but still live in their homes outside of this area.

You restrict mainland speculators, you restrict everyone including locals who have land but haven't developed it yet. Lower Puna is still the best place to buy for the buck and you can buy an acre of land cheaper here than practically anywhere else in the state.

I've lived on Oahu for 43 years in some of the best real estate districts in East Honolulu and Manoa. HPP these days down by the ocean (where I live) will be the next Kahala. Where else can Kamaaina buy in an area that will soon be destined to be exclusive real estate? I'm thinking of purchasing the lot next to me for two reasons: 1) to keep my neighbor one acre away from me and 2) so my kids can have land to build on when they are old enough to build. That second lot would classify me as an absent landowner...just like a lot of people already doing so in Hilo and the rest of the state.

And what about those local people who have multiple properties on Oahu that are landlords? You affect these people, you affect those who rent and we have a large percentage of renters here in Hawaii.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      Aaron - you got a funny way of showing that you are done (by continuing to respond.)

You do know I'm just teasing you, yeah? Cause I would SO fear getting this status:
                      I guess I'm like a pit bull, who has a hard time letting things go.
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

I personally object to the idea of absentee owners buying up property in Puna, or anywhere else in our tiny island community.
                        I object to people who buy dwellings and then let them sit vacant. THAT deprives people of a place to live. If they rent it out, then it's still a place.

I'm not sure what to think about land. It's easy to say that someone else would build a house on it, but it's hard to prove.

Comment

This thread has been very EDUCATIONAL!

Thank you Aaron and everyone who have who have en lighted me about dis topic.

Auntie Lynn
                          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

The huge subdivisions of Puna and Ka'u, almost 80,000 parcels, are 2/3 or so of the total number of parcels on the Big Island. They were permitted by the Hawaii County Board of Supervisors from about 1958 to 1972. The developers were Democratic Party insiders. In fact, the deals were made at Democratic Party fundraisers. The developers were both land and tax speculators. The political rationale was to provide "free taxes" for Hilo to expand its civil services, both people and parks and police, etc. They did so and continue to do so.

Almost no linear infrastructure in Puna subdivisions - roads, power lines, or water lines - are provided from the property tax base anywhere on the Big Island. So the low density argument against their services does not apply here. Electric lines are not provided by government at all but by the electric utility, and yes, there, low density does increase costs, thus the big charges for line extensions. Roads are paid for by gas taxes, except in most of the sudivisions, which have private roads, so they pay for their own roads and have no access to the gas taxes they generate, which are largely used in other BI communities.

The County Departmment of Water Supply (DWS) gets most of its operating money from user fees. New wells and major water lines are usually provided via State appropriations, and the County guarantees their bonds, so the residents of the subdivisions who don't have water also contribute there. This is a highly political process for new developers, who want, above all, to keep the state from building schools for the kids in these older subdivisions. The state traditonally builds mains to the new schools. Then the residents can, by various improvement district schemes, (often with federal assistance, as in Hamakua camps and Kona Gardens) extend water lines down their streets. The problem for new subdivision developers, from W. H. Shipman in Keaau to Kapolei on Oahu, and Kamehameha Schools, is that getting water lines is the one thing which would make these subdivisions much more market competitive. Since there are so many existing lots, their competition would bring down developer profits, and housing costs, statewide. Thus in the mid-1990's the behind the scenes deal by HDOE and W.H. Shipman to locate all the new schools needed for HPP children in Keaau, far from the children, so that Shipman could tout Keaau as the "education place." And get new water mains, while HPP got none. Serving the needs of developers to protect their new profits and Hilo to continue to collect taxes from owners, both absent and present, in Puna and Ka'u. Note that Kamehameha Schools was also part of this deal and also benefits financially from keeping schools out of these subdivisions.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                              This thread has been very EDUCATIONAL!

Thank you Aaron and everyone who have who have en lighted me about dis topic.

Auntie Lynn
                              No probs Aunty, I'm happy you've found it educational.
                              The Kona Blog

Comment

Personally I like not having to pay a water/sewer bill every other month being on catchment.

The traffic problems aren't that bad (coming from Honolulu originally) and I accept that I'm part of the problem so I won't complain. But...Friday afternoon while trying to get from Waimea to Kailua on the Queen K highway at around...oh...3:30pm I realized the West side has a major traffic problem and the widening project is taking a friggin long time to complete! I mean it's a Friday afternoon and there is no activity going on the construction side of the highway! How long does it take to add a couple of lanes on land that has nothing on it right now? This has been going on for a few years now and everytime I travel this highway, it looks like nothing has been done.

I do understand Aaron's position. I've lived here on the Big Island for less than 4-years but have done business between Oahu and both East and West Hawaii for over 20-years to know that Kona does in fact get the shaft when it comes to ANYTHING whether it be government or business.

I used to feel so sorry for the West Hawaii Gas Company superintendant because all his meters and regulators had to route thru East Hawaii first, I started shipping directly to his West Hawaii baseyard just so he could get his gas projects running on time.

Stats are one thing, but it takes living here or doing a lot of business with the local folks here to understand the rift between East and West Hawaii. It's almost like living on two different islands with different cultural attitudes on what's best served for each side.
                                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                                X