This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 7

One of the restrictions voted in today is that the SuperFerry must make sure that no one transports rocks and dirt on the SuperFerry.
    If -- IF -- anyone is doing that already by other means, they can, of course, continue to do it on Young Brothers barges, on a cruise ship or private boat, on one of the airlines, or by every and any other mode of transportation. Heck, they can even mail the stuff.

That sound you hear is the rest of the world laughing at Hawaii.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

hi this is sansei and i heard the unfortunate news that the superferry won this only what were to happen if the superferry were to accidently hit one whale they would be liable and i think then the superferry would be sued and asked to leave and im not very happy with the decision and I hope Maui's Judge keep's the law he passed on Maui that the superferry wont be allowed into Maui or Kauai.

Well thank's for your time:O(

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
        That depends on what the protesters are going to do.
        Didn't I read not too long ago that they stockpiled some riot gear on Kauai in anticipation of the worst?

Maybe we'll be hearing some protestors yelling "Don't Tase Me Bro!!"
        Last edited by mapen; November 1, 2007, 03:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
          Interesting to see the usual anti-HSF whiners here crying like babies because they didn't get what they wanted. Clearly we can expect continued whining from them.
          The real bottom line is this -- the majority of the state's residents got exactly what they wanted.
          Please allow me to repeat that.
          The real bottom line is this -- the majority of the state's residents got exactly what they wanted.
          It's done. Get over it. Quit acting like spoiled little brats. The whining is falling on deaf ears.
          I'd recommend giving this thread one more day for folks to post their reactions, then I'd like to see this thread closed and locked. Everyone needs to go on a two-week SuperFerry Time Out, and I'd suggest starting a new thread in two weeks when the SuperFerry starts running.
          Exactly as the clear majority of Hawaii residents desire.

What a juvenile post.

You sure like to paint with a broad brush. I said all along that the Legislature would save the Superferry at the request of the governor so none of what has transpired over the last week and a half has suprised me.

Fwiw, before you start labeling others are "whiners" you might want to take a good look in the mirror first.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
            Is the real problem passing a law that allows the SuperFerry to operate while the impact study is being prepared or is the real problem convening a special session to pass this law?

Granted it's almost November now. Legislature starts it's regular session in middle of Janurary. That's about 2-1/2 months from now. And could the legislature pass this bill really, really fast and get it signed into law? Even then some laws have a starting date to them, so it could go into March so that would be what like 6 months. Could the SuperFerry wait that long?

If I was the governor I would suggest to the SuperFerry folks to run the ferry for a couple of weeks on a limited basis, like going to one island a day just to work out the bugs in the operation and let it slowly catch on, don't even offer low fares.
            The Superferry could not wait for legislative action to occur during regular session, that is why a Special Session was convened and that is the real travesty.

Alohakine spent many hours at the Capitol last session fighting hard for what he believes in. He understands Hawaii politics very well.

Comment

Originally posted by AlohaKine View Post
              Funny how the legislature would do all this for the superferry. It couldn't wait a year for the impact study. Funny how the bars could wait for the smoking ban "impact study", now at least 16 are out of business because of it. Equal protection?
              Hey, if the ES would take one week to complete and cost only $50,000, it would be done. Pau. The boat would be sailing and nobody would have anything to say about it.

If the special session took a year to complete, then... What's the point again???
              Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Just doublechecked the tariffs for the fuel surcharge adjustment (see pg. 8). Looks like HSF could raise the surcharge every month if the price of fuel went up:

Beginning on the first day of the month following the start of ticket sales, Carrier shall adjust fuel surcharge on the first day of each calendar month based upon the trailing average fuel price ending on the 23rd day of the previous month,
                So if the surcharge was 28% in August (when the price was in the high $80/bl range), I wonder what it will be now that the price of oil is close to $100/bl?

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                  Looks like HSF could raise the surcharge every month if the price of fuel went up
                  Perhaps you didn't hear about the massive increase just granted to Young Brothers barges? No comment about that?

Comment

SeaFlite had higher speeds, triple the number of daily trips, zero whale strikes in over four years.
                    Chicken Little is wrong. The sky is NOT falling.
                    The only “Chicken Little” in this equation is your sorry little boat. At a mere 90 feet long, you would hope it would be nimble enough to avoid whale strikes... otherwise the captain is a horrible steersman! In contrast, the Superferry is nearly four times that size, and considerably heavier, with full cargo in tow.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                    USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                      The only “Chicken Little” in this equation is your sorry little boat. At a mere 90 feet long, you would hope it would be nimble enough to avoid whale strikes... otherwise the captain is a horrible steersman! In contrast, the Superferry is nearly four times that size, and considerably heavier, with full cargo in tow.
                      But HSF is a very nimble boat, check out the sea trial pics on their website, that boat was cutting through an imaginary slalom course in the waters.

Comment

Size is irrelevant. (Well, in this case, anyway. ) As JT points out, even at the larger size the SuperFerry is far more nimble and maneuverable than SeaFlite was 30+ years ago.
                        You conveniently and completely avoided mentioning speed, which is the single biggest complaint of the anti's, you conveniently ignored that SeaFlite was faster than SuperFerry, and you also ignored that SeaFlite made far more trips per day.
                        Ergo, SeaFlite was faster and less nimble. As I wrote, "SeaFlite had higher speeds, triple the number of daily trips, zero whale strikes in over four years."
                        Facts are, you know, FACTS.

Comment

From one of the letters to the editor in today's Advertiser:

The following data is from a National Fisheries Service report titled "Large Whale Ship Strikes":

From 1975 through 2002 there were 292 reports of whale collisions worldwide. This is an average of approximately 11 collisions per year.

Of the 292 cases, 20 occurred in Hawaiian or Alaskan waters, or an average of less than one collision per year.

Of the known vessel types in collisions (134), the collisions were with the Navy (23), whale-watching boats (19), cruise liners (17) and ferries (16). All other collisions were by other types of ships.

There are an estimated 30,000 humpback whales in the ocean, and the population is growing at the rate of 7 percent per year. That means there will be 2,100 more humpback whales next year. This is an endangered species; however, it's not endangered because of collisions with ships.

Comment

One of the restrictions voted in today is that the SuperFerry must make sure that no one transports rocks and dirt on the SuperFerry.
                            If -- IF -- anyone is doing that already by other means
                            “Other means” isn’t the problem, or how soon we forget, LikaNui. How Superferry officials failed to notice three truckloads of imu rocks (more than 900 total) about to be transported on their watch, is a matter worth addressing by the legislature .. so they did.

Duh!

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                            USA TODAY, page 2A
                            11 March 1993

Comment

“Other means” isn’t the problem, or how soon we forget, LikaNui. How Superferry officials failed to notice three truckloads of imu rocks (more than 900 total) about to be transported on their watch, is a matter worth addressing by the legislature .. so they did. Duh!
                              Try re-reading that article in your own link. Apparently you (and most of the anti's) keep forgetting that those three trucks were parked in an empty lot after SuperFerry was suspended from operating, therefore the trucks had not reached the point where they would be inspected yet. That was made clear in the article you provided a link to.
                              Most of the state already knew that fact.
                              Don't know how you anti's overlooked it, but.

Comment

hi this is sansei and if anyone may remember,10 year's ago,there was a Similar incident in Kauai and this happened when the sea fearing which was somewhat like the superferry that what they did was pull into Kauai's harbor and they launched ferry boat's to and from the island and this put the kauai people in an uproar and this was once in columnist lee cataluna's column once before and this is all fact so that the governor has no right to overturn the Maui Judge's,in my opinon,this would cause the people of every island to look at Governor Lingle and possibly they may think to impeach her and get a governor who'd follow the judge's law so i thought to share my thought's on this.

well thank's for your time:O(

Comment

Working...
                                X