X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 7

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
    Excellent taste. Take some guava jelly and passion fruit jelly filled malasadas too. Those are onolicious.
    Okay, where is this bakery again? My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
      Okay, where is this bakery again? My mouth is watering just thinking about it.
      It's right in the middle of Makawao town on Baldwin Ave. in a nondescript old building on the right hand side as you're headed up towards Casanova Restaurant. Get there early, though, because the cream puffs sell out early (you can sometimes get some that have been frozen, though). They're not open on Sunday and I think they take a vacation in between Christmas and New Year.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Just this week I was planning our New Year's getaway (to flee the smoke with my asthmatic kids), and looked up Superferry fares to Maui thanks to the $29 sale ($39 for the dates we had in mind). And, indeed, even with reasonable airline fares of $39-$59 (the $19 fares were sold out and didn't extend into 2008 like our trip would), it was cheaper to take the Superferry and our own van versus taking a plane and renting a car for the weekend. Cheaper by about $150, actually.

Unfortunately, we couldn't find any place to stay on Maui, without paying over $200 a night (a family of five has limited hotel options, and Maui has the stricted vacation rental rules in the state). So, we ended up returning to the Big Island and a vacation house in Volcano.

I can't wait 'til the next Superferry vessel starts serving Kawaihae. A more perfect way for this local family to escape and reconnect with its roots there will not be!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
          Just this week I was planning our New Year's getaway (to flee the smoke with my asthmatic kids), and looked up Superferry fares to Maui thanks to the $29 sale ($39 for the dates we had in mind). And, indeed, even with reasonable airline fares of $39-$59 (the $19 fares were sold out and didn't extend into 2008 like our trip would), it was cheaper to take the Superferry and our own van versus taking a plane and renting a car for the weekend. Cheaper by about $150, actually.

Unfortunately, we couldn't find any place to stay on Maui, without paying over $200 a night (a family of five has limited hotel options, and Maui has the stricted vacation rental rules in the state). So, we ended up returning to the Big Island and a vacation house in Volcano.

I can't wait 'til the next Superferry vessel starts serving Kawaihae. A more perfect way for this local family to escape and reconnect with its roots there will not be!
          Try checking with Maui Seaside our Maui Beach Hotel. I think your family would save more cause everything is in that area.
          bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

We stayed at a bed 'n breakfast for our last trip to Maui. Cheaper and more convenient than any hotel.

PM for deets.
            "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

• Once Hawaii's Super Ferry starts going to B.I.,

...it's all over! Once again, the almighty dollar has ruled over consideration for the enviornment! Oh yeah, sure you're gonna tell me all the necessary testing has been conducted already on behalf of this big 'eye sore'. But I beg to differ. Seems that the majority of people who favor this "Clump of ugly" are the same people who throw their hat in the ring for Walmart.

Once again Isle residents have rushed into this without much consideration, and of course the majority of the people supporting this "war machine" are on Oahu! Honolulu residents flocked to the pier when the HSF first set sail a few months back. Hoping to get a view of what they already have determined as their God sent mode of cheap transportation that will link them up to the outer islands at a cheap cost. Once again, like Walmart, the HSF will start off with reasonable prices, but will slowly raise the cost of their fares once, maybe twice a year!? Yet the majority of the outer islands don't support this eye sore!! Why? We don't need Oahu's opala all over our outer islands, nor do we need the "road rage" which is so common on Oahu.

I give it one year after Honolulu to Hilo operations starts up. This will be the time that Oahu residents will revolted because of HSF. In the rush to make money, these jerks are doing nothing to secure to ecology of each island. So I say common and visit us in Puna! We'd love for you people to take back our Fire Ants & Croqui Frogs in the under carriage of your SUV's & mini vans. Once our Fire Ants have set up shop in Honolulu, then and perhaps then will our state Gov. get serious about radication of these problems!?
              I promise you this, once the 'Fire Ants' get established in Honolulu it's all over. The dense population combined with these little pest will reek havoc on the capital city.

Comment

• Re: Once Hawaii's Super Ferry starts going to B.I.,

Funny (?) how in so many instances, it's an "Us" against "Them" attitude.
                In this case it's "Outer Islands" against "Oahu".

Look, there are more and more people populating this entire earth.
                Whether or not you like it, we truly are all in this together.
                Which means that population growth and movement is going to continue.

Don't feel that "You" are a part of it? Wake up!
                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Oh, brother. Not again.
                  Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

• Re: another troll makes stupid SuperFerry comments

Originally posted by zztype View Post
                    Oh, brother. Not again.
                    Amen to that. There are so very many ridiculous statements in Beachboy's post that it would be kinda fun (and so very easy) to shoot them all down, but I've got better things to do today.
                    I'm taking my boat out to the sandbar.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Beachboy View Post
                      Oh yeah, sure you're gonna tell me all the necessary testing has been conducted already on behalf of this big 'eye sore'.
                      Actually, I doubt even the staunchest supporters here will tell you that.

The EA wasn't done earlier, simply because the State told HSF that they didn't need to do it. Now, since it will be required, the recent battle was over whether or not HSF could operate during the testing period - and the recent rulings have said "yes." So the Ferry will operate AND the EA/tests will be conducted.

And there's a whole buncha threads on this already - so expect that this conversation will likely be moved over there before long (without requiring an EA. )

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                        [...]And there's a whole buncha threads on this already - so expect that this conversation will likely be moved over there before long (without requiring an EA. )
                        Yes...thank you...altho' I'm a bit curious if BB had remained on Oahu instead of moving to the BI, would he still feel the same way. <shrug>

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                          I'm a bit curious if BB had remained on Oahu instead of moving to the BI, would he still feel the same way.
                          I'm sure he'll let us know, but he's been an island-hopper for quite a while (I recall him mentioning living on Maui in the '70s.)

Comment

Originally posted by zztype View Post
                            Oh, brother. Not again.
                            I second and third that statement. For the record, Big Island service won't be going to Hilo. But instead it will be going to Kawaihae.

One more thing, the service won't commence until 2009. Which is plenty of time to get all the bugs out of the service.
                            Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                            The Kona Blog

Comment

Why is a new thread being started on this topic? Sheesh. Merge merge merge....
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                                A Great friend of mine's is coming from the mainland and I have us booked on the Superferry 12/06! I'm goin' to Maui! Also got the hotel(Maui Seaside) and rental car(Alamo) reserved already too! Will head back here to Oahu on 12/08. Really excited 'bout this. Okay so I'm not sailin' to Maui this time...
                                but still going by boat! HaHa!
                                It's a darn good thing I picked the 6th!
                                The SuperFerry has rescheduled the restart date till then and even if it doesn't, I'll get flights over since the Hotel and car are booked already. Here's a link to the story in this morning's Advertiser.
                                http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...11270346/1001/
                                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X