Boiled Peanuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boiled Peanuts

Has anyone made boiled peanuts? I've been searching for a recipe. Most say water, raw peanuts in shell, and salt. But they all differ in the proportion and cooking time.

Any tips? Any other flavors, spices to add? Like, beer, maybe? Or li hing mui?

Also, where do you buy raw peanuts? Thank you, everyone, for your help!

Re: Boiled Peanuts

You really can't go wrong, so take the basic recipe and go by your own kitchen instinct. I would throw in a star-anise pod, if you have one handy. Yum. You can get raw peanuts at that peanut shop on Liliha and also at that peanut shop in the Waimalu Shopping Center, near the Zippy's.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Any supermarket like Foodland, Star, Times, etc. sells raw peanuts in a bag. About a pound per bag. Even Longs Drugs has them on occasion. Also check the Open Markets and most any store in China Town has them.

Just dump a bag of raw peanuts in a big pot, add water to cover..........well, da peanuts float so kinda press them down to figure where you are. Add about 1/4 C Hawaiian salt. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 45 minutes. Turn off the heat and let it sit for another 45 minutes. Check for doness. If you want it softer, let it sit for another 15 to 20 minutes. I like mine on the firm side so the 45 minute wait is good for me. Btw, the soaking is where the seasoning gets into the peanuts. Keep track of what you did as this recipe can be modified to fit your taste. Cook longer, add more salt, whatever. I just gave you kind of the basics.

I'm a purest and only add salt. I've come to hate star anise in anything that's not Chinese. Seems everyone uses the stuff in dishes like oxtail soup, "American" style roast pork, etc., but to each their own. If you like SA, use it. Yucky.

Comment

Thank you, Scrivener and DRE.

I'll start with the basic recipe, without flavoring. I must have been thinking about boiled soy beans... someone once added garlic powder/lemon pepper and mixed in some li hing mui.

I live on Maui, but I'm visiting Honolulu next month. I'll be going to Chinatown, so I'll check there first.

Thanks again!

Comment

If you like large peanuts go to Shimaya on Kokea St. on the ewa side of Kapalama Canal between King St. and Dillingham Blvd., ask for the Virginia peanuts.

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
            If you like large peanuts go to Shimaya on Kokea St. on the ewa side of Kapalama Canal between King St. and Dillingham Blvd., ask for the Virginia peanuts.
            Oops I meant Kohou St.

Comment

yep. chinatown. see them there all the time in big bags.
              "chaos reigns within.
              reflect, repent and reboot.
              order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
                Ahh. That's where Alicia's must get their "beeg" raw peanuts from.

You mentioned in the Boiled & Dried Peanuts thread that Alicia's Market's boiled peanuts are soggy, but I've never had that experience there. At least lately, they've been perfectly al dente and, above all, I think their recipe (and taste!) is one of the best I've had yet. Kinda' sweet, with a hint of the star anise, and perfectly salted. Da' best.

Da' BIG boiled peanuts from Alicia's Market...

Shown >almost< actual size (depending on your monitor resolution)

I've never attempted making boiled peanuts myself, but I'm assuming no matter what recipe you're given, the first few batches are going to be a trial-and-error affair on proper doneness and salt-sweet-spice balance. A science and an art.
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

[quote=Pomai;198639]Ahh. That's where Alicia's must get their "beeg" raw peanuts from.

You mentioned in the Boiled & Dried Peanuts thread that Alicia's Market's boiled peanuts are soggy, but I've never had that experience there. At least lately, they've been perfectly al dente and, above all, I think their recipe (and taste!) is one of the best I've had yet. Kinda' sweet, with a hint of the star anise, and perfectly salted. Da' best.

I said that because I like mine a bit crunchy;I haven't been to Alicia's in a long time so maybe it's not so soggy anymore. I always make my own because the prices today are way too much. Alicia's is a gret place and I've been going there for a good twenty years or more, until I retired six years ago. I add a lot of anise to mine because I like the taste. I usually leave them soaking for about an hour.

Comment

Soggy nuts for me! They are the best.

**giggle**

No, really. In the Southeast "bald goobers" (aka boiled peanuts) are a roadside staple at produce stands and in convenience stores. No other seasoning but salt is usually added. The pot is constantly at a simmer; and the best nuts are the tender ones that you can eat soft shell and all. Otherwise I suck out the salty water, crack the shell with my teeth and spit the shell. All this from the soggy paperbag while driving on the interstate between SC and GA.

Much to be said for multitasking.
                    Last edited by cyleet99; June 11, 2008, 12:20 PM. Reason: just got off the malo man thread....

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
                      Soggy nuts for me! They are the best.

**giggle**
                      lmfao

You're so bad, Cindy

In the Southeast "bald goobers" (aka boiled peanuts) are a roadside staple
                      Ewww. I'll have to ask my friend at Myrtle Beach if he likes them. I won't get a chance to try them myself this year. He's hosting another get together next month, but work's too demanding for me. He guilts me by saying if people really want something they'll find a way, but who'd willingly give up a weekend of beer, games, and guns???

Anyways, back on topic. Yes, soggy boiled peanuts are the best. Nothing like slurping up the "soup" from the shell. Yum :9

On the dry side, I like Trader Joe's Lime & Chili Peanuts.
                      "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                      "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                      "
                      Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
                        On the dry side, I like Trader Joe's Lime & Chili Peanuts.
                        mmm good! haven't had those in about two years. we always bring some back from vegas along with other goodies. just one of those things you can't get over here.
                        "chaos reigns within.
                        reflect, repent and reboot.
                        order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

hi this is sansei and in response to sharilyn,when i was a youth,my deceased father once made boiled peanuts and he always purchased the now defunct peanut shop next to the old gem's and his peanut's was always good.how he made it is always a mystery since i didnt watch him make it only that's the only thing he made on his own and when i ate it,it made me drool! If i learn where our recipe it,i'll post it here.

Well thank's for your time

Comment

I borrowed my mom's pressure cooker to make bps. I got a recipe off the internet. Not really rocket science, water and kosher or hawaiian salt. Star anise too. I think the trick is the pre-soak. My first batch wasn't pre soaked and it came out still dry inside. THe second time I soaked then cooked and it came out nice and juicy.

Comment

I've always been a 3-nut man myself.

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                              Ahh. That's where Alicia's must get their "beeg" raw peanuts from.

Da' BIG boiled peanuts from Alicia's Market...

Shown >almost< actual size (depending on your monitor resolution)

I've never attempted making boiled peanuts myself, but I'm assuming no matter what recipe you're given, the first few batches are going to be a trial-and-error affair on proper doneness and salt-sweet-spice balance. A science and an art.

Comment

Working...
                              X