• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• musubi
    replied
    Re: Foods You Don't Like

Originally posted by Amati View Post
    Tripe might be a close #2. Yuck. (Cow guts .... uggh, why eat stuff like that...)
    'Cause tripe stew stay da kine ONOLICIOUS, dat's why!

(I think Pomai & Auntie Lynn will back me up on this one...)

Leave a comment:

• Pomai
    replied

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
    I'm just sitting here, quietly chuckling to myself about all our individual food fetishes/dislikes and wondering where they come from. For myself, my mom was a lousy cook - everything was either boiled to death or fried to a crisp. and all our veggies were from cans. This happens when you grow up in the Midwest where you can only get fresh for a few months a year. But, since living in Hawaii my food horizons have broadened and I love many things now that I hated as a kid.
    Like just about everything else reflecting our individual character, surely our experiences from childhood affect our likes and dislikes of various types of foods.

I have a friend who's parent's raised he and his siblings predominantly on fresh-caught fish. Now as an adult, he's so sick of fish (especially reef fish), he avoids it whenever possible.

Same for another (part-Filipino) friend who's parents only fed him Filipino food. He now avoids it as much as he can help it.

Same for me growing up with Chinese food, as whenever our family dined out, it was almost ALWAYS Chinese, either at Mui Kwai, or later, Kin Wah Chop Suey in Kaneohe. Because of that, to this day I'm psychologically burnt-out of that general "Chinese" flavor (no offense to you Chinese folks), save for select Dim Sum items.

Although in all these cases, here in Hawaii we're surrounded with these types of foods, so at one point or another we're destined to come across it... and eat it. It's unavoidable.

Rough life.

Leave a comment:

• Sharilyn
    replied

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
    I'm just sitting here, quietly chuckling to myself about all our individual food fetishes/dislikes and wondering where they come from. For myself, my mom was a lousy cook - everything was either boiled to death or fried to a crisp. and all our veggies were from cans.
    Ah, my Mom was/is a lousy cook, too. She always overcooked everything, and our veggies were usually frozen peas and carrots, or frozen corn. Ick. If she tried, she could make a decent meal, but it just didn't interest her.

Leave a comment:

• Sharilyn
    replied

I just remembered, I hate ginger candy.

Leave a comment:

• Amati
    replied

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    It appears liver is the #1 dislike so far!
    Tripe might be a close #2. Yuck. (Cow guts .... uggh, why eat stuff like that...)

Leave a comment:

• tutusue
    replied

It appears liver is the #1 dislike so far!

Leave a comment:

• anapuni808
    replied

I'm just sitting here, quietly chuckling to myself about all our individual food fetishes/dislikes and wondering where they come from. For myself, my mom was a lousy cook - everything was either boiled to death or fried to a crisp. and all our veggies were from cans. This happens when you grow up in the Midwest where you can only get fresh for a few months a year. But, since living in Hawaii my food horizons have broadened and I love many things now that I hated as a kid.

(Except for liver & brussels sprouts & peas - those will never change!)

Leave a comment:

• cyleet99
    replied

SG, I guess you wouldn't like candied grapefruit peel, either.

I don't know if I would like clotted cream. I just found out I do like buttermilk!

Leave a comment:

• surlygirly
    replied

Aww, I love scones! I have some great receipes.

Ooh, but here's another one that's related. Marmalade. Eww! Or any jelly besides grape or apple...and only then in very small quanities. And clotted cream isn't a favorite.

Pulp-y orange juice is gross too.

Leave a comment:

• Ron Whitfield
    replied
    What does 'scones' mean?

Bad donut.

Leave a comment:

• cyleet99
    replied

One of my first ventures to the Waialua Farmer's Market; I picked up one of those knobby looking squash and asked what it was....the lady said, "Beetermelon." I then asked her what it tasted like......

She looked confused, tilted her head to the side, and said "Beeter!"

I have yet to try it.

Leave a comment:

• Pomai
    replied
    Re: Foods You Don't Like - Bitter Melon

Here's another fruit many may find offensive in flavor: the Bitter Melon, a.k.a. Goya (as in Okinawan Goya Chanpuru), a.k.a. Ampalaya (as would be used in Filipino Pinakbet)...

Bitter Melon, a.k.a. Goya, a.k.a. Ampalaya

What must be noted are the incredible medicinal benefits Bitter Melon is reputedly known for, especially in treating diabetes and digestive problems to cancer provention. Native Okinawans statistically have the longest lifespan in the world, and surely their diet, which includes Goya, contributes to that.

I for one, LOVE Goya. Mo' bittah, da' bettah'!

Leave a comment:

• Kaukura
    replied

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
    For those who don't like Chicken Long Rice, I imagine you also don't care for Jook...

Turkey Jook (Congee, a.k.a. rice porridge)
    Im one who does not like long rice, but I absolutely LOVE Jook. It's not the rice, or porridge effect that I dislike,it's simply (in my opinion) the slimy, sticky, transluscent efffect of those noodles. I'm a texture and visual person, and long rice rubs me the wrong way.

Leave a comment:

• Amati
    replied
    Re: Foods You Don't Like: V8 Vegetable Juice

Originally posted by musubi View Post
    According to the Wikipedia entry, I guess Mott's Clamato is still in production.
    I could hardly believe it when I saw it in Costco this week. A big 'ol section of clamato juice!

Leave a comment:

• Pomai
    replied

Originally posted by Albert View Post
    Oh, I was reminded. I, too, don't like chicken long rice. Not a question of it being slimey (altho it certainly is). I like stewed okra which is _very_ slimey.
    I can understand folks not liking long rice (Chinese bean thread noodles) mainly because of its slippery-slimy texture. Flavor-wise, it's actually flavorless in and of itself, only taking on whatever sauce or broth it's cooked in - which would be ginger-infused chicken broth in the case of Chicken Long Rice.

I once mentioned that a strategy for eating the slippery noodles might be to slurp them up using a large-diameter "bubble drink" straw. But I imagine that would taste even more GROSS to those who dislike Chicken Long Rice noodles to begin with.

Here I attempt to eat a bowl of Chicken Long Rice using also-slippery Melamine plastic (simulated Ivory) Chinese Chopsticks...

Chicken Long Rice

For those who don't like Chicken Long Rice, I imagine you also don't care for Jook...

Turkey Jook (Congee, a.k.a. rice porridge)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X