Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: new eats

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye
    PK, list your favorite grinds and maybe we can get more specific.
    Also where you're staying, oh wot, Palama? <LOL> Others may know good eats near your location.

I like all kine food; I not picky. My motto: I live to eat, not eat to live. After reading the threads in Kaukau Korner, I know I not alone in tinking like dis.

Starting next week, I going stay with my mom near School Street. But I like strike out for new territory and enjoy reading about places (new / old; good / bad; still open / closed) outside Kalihi / Palama. Like I said, keep 'em coming.
    Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

well if you are in the kalihi area, then you must know about ray's cafe over on king st.

Comment

Originally posted by p0id0g
        well if you are in the kalihi area, then you must know about ray's cafe over on king st.
        At 1190 Smith, in Chinatown . . . sounds like this one is right up my alley.

Way back in the 60s, I had a favorite restaurant in Chinatown. Tin Tin, as I recall, was its name . . . definitely not "new eats." Recently, I've been partial to Filipino food and Mabuhay, but maybe Ray's Cafe might be my new fave.

Salamat. I can walk there, eat, then waddle home. Maybe take a nap in Aala Park ... naah.

Comment

ray's cafe is on king st. in kalihi, next to salvation army... at least the ray's cafe that i am talking about is. ox tail, steaks, etc. big portions for small price. i think they close at 7pm or so, so get there early for dinner.

Comment

Well, as for new eats, my dad treated me to lunch at The Mandalay, the snazzy new Mandarin Chinese place on Alakea Street where Yong Sing used to be. Dim sum to order is their specialty, but we ordered off the menu. Very tasty, but prices to match the pretty digs.

The second photo is of the SAT-like bubble-in form you would fill out to get dim sum, along with a photo menu. Any dim sum experts yet sample their fare?

More photos and what we ate in "What's For Lunch."

Comment

Originally posted by p0id0g
              ray's cafe is on king st. in kalihi, next to salvation army... at least the ray's cafe that i am talking about is. ox tail, steaks, etc. big portions for small price. i think they close at 7pm or so, so get there early for dinner.
              Same one, wen move from Smith St. bout three years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani
                Same one, wen move from Smith St. bout three years ago.
                I googled "Ray's Cafe" and got the old address (really? three years ago??). Thanks for the update.

Comment

It's not there yet, but according to Jo McGarry in Midweek, the owners of wine bar Formaggio are planning to open a second restaurant in Kailua, Formaggio Grill, which will feature an expanded menu. I can't wait to check it out, as I very much enjoy the original Formaggio.

Comment

Abbe Brewster Caffe, has fantastic eats! Here is a recent review by Jo McGarry. I love their Pizza and pupu's.

Sharing A Delicious Little Secret
                    By Jo McGarry
                    Friday - March 03, 2006

There’s always this bittersweet moment when you realize you’re sitting in a restaurant that has great food - and nobody knows about it. Yet.

I had one of those moments last week, sitting in Abbe Brewster Caffé with my friends Dean and Lisa. We were eating possibly the best ahi sandwich in Hawaii, and sharing a steaming hot bowl of sari sari.
                    Located right next to Ala Moana by I Love Country Cafe and Block Busters.

Last edited by admin; March 14, 2006, 06:28 PM. Reason: Replaced full article with excerpt and link to source.
                    Mahalo,
                    Scott
                    SPORTS HAWAII
                    "Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"

Comment

Originally posted by scottsportshawaii

Abbe Brewster Caffe, has fantastic eats! Here is a recent review by Jo McGarry. I love their Pizza and pupu's.

Located right next to Ala Moana by I Love Country Cafe and Block Busters.
                      After deciding the Zippy's was not quite right for our last book club meeting I suggested this place, Abbe Brewster, several weeks ago. To my dismay, out came the Jo McGarry article a week later. So much for my li'l secret...now I'm afraid the place will be packed by the time our book club meeting rolls around. Oh well--at least the food will be good.

Comment

After deciding the Zippy's was not quite right for our last book club meeting I suggested this place, Abbe Brewster, several weeks ago. To my dismay, out came the Jo McGarry article a week later. So much for my li'l secret...now I'm afraid the place will be packed by the time our book club meeting rolls around. Oh well--at least the food will be good.
                        The food will be good! This is great spot but I wouldn't worry too much about it being overrun. They've had write ups before from various media and though there might be a bit of rush for a week or so, it always settles down. I love the wi-fi - it's a perfect place to get some work done between meetings.

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos
                          Based on what you and glossyp wrote and after checking McGarry's review, a friend and I had dinner at Ab be Brewster last night. Thanks for the 'tip'! It's a small place, the food was great, it's price equivalent might be Gordon Biersch, the owner has a great sense of humor...all in all a nice experience. I'm sure I'll go back. There are so few tables and no liquor license. I just don't see how they can make any money. Regardless, I hope they're able to stick around.

Comment

Just another breakfast/lunch option for those working in the area who are tired of TGI Friday's

The Lion Pride Cafe
                            --Diamond Head lanai of Neal Blaisdell Concert Hall
                            --coffee bar featuring Lion coffee, tea, soft drinks, pastries, and sandwiches
                            --open 6am to 9pm

Comment

Tommy's lunchwagon downtown.

Comment

Re: new eats for ice cream

FYI ... Ben & Jerry's Scoop Shop to open at Ward.

http://starbulletin.com/2006/04/02/business/engle.html
                                I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Working...
                                X