Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: new eats

Originally posted by tutusue
    There are so few tables and no liquor license. I just don't see how they can make any money. Regardless, I hope they're able to stick around.
    It's been there for more than a year--closer to two, actually--and seems to be going strong. You get free WiFi there, too, so bring your work, if you don't bring a friend.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

We drove out to Kaaawa today to try the new bbq joint, Uncle Bobo's. We tried the pulled pork sandwich, beef brisket plate which came with mac salad and redneck rice, plus a cheeseburger and a side order of coleslaw. Sadly, they didn't have any ranch beans. The best items were the coleslaw, pork sandwich and cheeseburger. The brisket didn't appear to have been smoked as there was no smoke ring in evidence and it lacked flavor. The redneck rice (white & wild rice mixed with fried garlic and onion) was also bland. The pork was very good and the rolls they are using for sandwiches are sturdy without being tough or chewy. The coleslaw had green and purple cabbage, quite a bit of cumin and bits of orange - colorful and tasty.

Prices are reasonable at $5.25 for the burger, $6.50 for the sandwich and the plate was $7.95. I talked to two different sets of patrons who are frequent customers. They recommend the daily specials, the pork and the garlic chicken.

Comment

Abbe Brewster Cafe

This place has THE BEST PIZZA in the state! FYI, I'm not the chef, his name just happens to be scott too! Here is a recent review on the establishment:

SportsHawaii.com declares Abbe Brewster Caffe's pizza as BEST IN TOWN and Jo McGarry agrees.
        Last edited by admin; May 1, 2006, 07:55 AM. Reason: Removed full article text, added link. Merged with earlier thread.
        Mahalo,
        Scott
        SPORTS HAWAII
        "Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"

Comment

Please don't start a new thread to post the exact same article you previously posted in this "new eats" thread (now merged). And please don't reproduce copyrighted text in full without permission -- just use a brief excerpt and post a link to the original piece... as was done for you the first time, too.

It's obvious you're a fan of Abbe Brewster, but excessive advertising is frowned upon and is more likely to reflect poorly on the business in question -- a problem especially if Abbe Brewster and SportsHawaii.com have a commercial link.

Comment

Church's Chicken, a mainland chain famous for their spicy chicken, honey dipped butter biscuits and fried okra (I endorse the biscuits!) has opened their first store in Hawaii at the Pearlridge Uptown Food Court. I won't link to their website but you can easily find it if you like. Of course, it is not updated to reflect the location here but that's what you get when you have a lame, slow-to-load, flash site. Anyway, their food is much better than their website which is a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp
              Church's Chicken, a mainland chain famous for their spicy chicken, honey dipped butter biscuits and fried okra (I endorse the biscuits!) has opened their first store in Hawaii at the Pearlridge Uptown Food Court.
              If memory serves me right, back in the 70's, Church's Chicken had a stand-alone restaurant on the corner of Piikoi and Beretania, where Pflueger GMC/Buick/Hummer now operates. I assume at the time there was more than just that location.

Interesting how this resurgence of mainland restaurant franchises are occuring in Hawaii. Dunkin' Donuts, Farrell's... perhaps Shakey's Pizza next?
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Shabu Shabu Time located at 655 Keeaumoku in the Sam Sung Plaza, across from Sam’s Club and Walmart. There was an article about them in the 6/25 Dining Out Section of the Honolulu Advertiser (Back Page). I’ve been there twice and their food is good. It’s also BYOB.
                Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                  Interesting how this resurgence of mainland restaurant franchises are occuring in Hawaii. Dunkin' Donuts, Farrell's... perhaps Shakey's Pizza next?
                  I'm waiting for Winchell's - I love their donuts!

Comment

If you haven't been to Moanalua Shopping Center in a while, you might want to check it out. The Navy, who owns all that property, knocked down the old building and put up some new administrative office buildings and new retail space. So far, in the newly renamed Moanalua Center, there's a Starbucks, Jamba Juice, and Yummy. Loco Moco Drive-In opened half an hour ago. There's going to be a Koa House before long, and a Subway looks like it's just about ready to open. I know none of those is some place you can't visit elsewhere, but this place has been a ghost-town for years, and it's nice to see people walking around and hanging out again.
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Erika has a nice write up of the new Cuban spot in Chinatown, Soul de Cuba. The owner mentions being slammed on Wednesday and we were part of it. The staff handled it really well. Great atmosphere and decent food. Erika's column.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                        knocked down the old building
                        there's a Starbucks, Jamba Juice, and Yummy. Loco Moco Drive-In
                        Subway
                        hey! sounds good! Old lava rock 50's buildings gone.
                        replaced by Unique businesses we don't see anywhere else.
                        I am SOOO there!

Comment

When was the last time you took your patronage to the old mall? I hung out there all the time and seldom saw a living soul. I'm as disappointed as anyone else, but for the past few years, that place was a ghost mall. At least now there are people hanging out and I've got somewhere to go that's close to work and not scary at night.
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                            When was the last time you took your patronage to the old mall?
                            back then, i was there about 3 times a month. Quite often for a Hawaii kai resident.
                            was contemplating renting a space. love that old kine 50's/60's look.

Comment

Working...
                            X