Favorite Downtown Honolulu Restaurants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favorite Downtown Honolulu Restaurants

I don't think you can eat on the bandstand anymore.

Hey, both Japanese and Italian sound good to me. I've never been to the delicatessen Palama Kid mentions but walk past it often enough. Yet, even though jkpescador started this, and now says he doesn't think he'll join us, he also suggested Cafe 8 1/2. Both have limited seating, but I think the Japanese place has almost none!

You thinking of Nico's, Tutusue? I want to try it, too, but for a downtown quickie, yeah, I think we'll keep it 'walkable.' ATM is nice, too, but I'm more in the mood for hole-in-the-wall (and cheaper is better)!

Not that I'd die without an answer this afternoon. As long as we've got a time, we could always meet up in the small First Hawaiian Center courtyard at Alakea and King (outdoor seating for Spada) at 11 and decide at that moment...

Comment

Yep! Nico's...that's it!

Is Spada any good? Should we just eat there?

Comment

I think some may disagree, but the only thing Spada's has going for it, IMHO, is its location. It could do in a pinch, and serve as the failover if the few of us find ourselves stricken with indecision, but I'd eagerly vote for anyplace else.

BTW, Nico's has a stellar reputation, and based solely on the recommendations I've heard, I've in fact steered many folks there... and yet never made the drive myself. If HT lunches become a tradition and we become more adventurous (hey, I've got a van and parking downtown), it might very well make a great spot for a future lunch outing.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
          I think some may disagree, but the only thing Spada's has going for it, IMHO, is its location.
          Nah... it's great for cocktails and pupu after work, or for their Friday/Saturday night club-style entertainment.

Sipping a martini on the lanai there after a long day at work is nice... the pizza is good, too.

Comment

I'm not going to be able to join you guys tomorrow since the better half's step-father is arriving for his annual visit. (He is bringing an elk roast so any tips on how to cook elk would be appreciated )

Suggestions for eating spots even though I can't make it: Remington College - lots of choices so everyone could get what they want; a little more towards Chinatown but not too far, Marie Bonita's, which has decent Mexican food; Leo's Taverna and the always reliable Murphy's which has reasonably priced and tasty lunches.

Comment

Anyone ever try Art's Hideaway?

1110 Bishop St (Stairs go DOWN!)
              Phone: (808) 531-1775

He use to be a cook at Yum Yum Tree Kahala back in the 70's when it was GOOD! French Fries & Onion Rings are the bomb! not to mention all the other dishes.

Comment

I vote for Murphy's!!! My being Irish has nothing to do with it!

Comment

Well, we've got an official vote for Murphy's, and a lot of suggestions! I suppose we could all grab what we want and meet somewhere open (making Remington College a good option), but I think it'd be nice to share in a meal experience, for better or worse.

I'm not wedded to anything, and it sounds like Palama Kid is also open to anything, so... how about Murphy's? A reward of sorts for Tutusue's refreshing, emphatic declaration! Meet there at 11?

Definitely sounds like we've got a good list of choices for a future gathering. Hope you can make it then, Glossyp! AbsolutChaos, Jkpescador, think you can join us today? Anyone else?
                  Last edited by pzarquon; April 25, 2006, 07:53 AM.

Comment

I'm not wedded to anything, and it sounds like Palama Kid is also open to anything, so... how about Murphy's? A reward of sorts for Tutusue's refreshing, emphatic declaration! Meet there at 11?
                    Murphy's it is, then. Just checked on google - place opens at 11:30 . . . just thought I'd pass that on.

See you at 11.
                    Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Originally posted by Palama Kid
                      Murphy's it is, then. Just checked on google - place opens at 11:30 . . . just thought I'd pass that on.
                      Huh. You're right! Though who knows, saying 11 a.m. probably means 11:30 effectively when adjusted for Hawaiian time. Tutusue, I know you had a 1:30 commitment, is an 11:30 start time still okay?

Comment

11:30 is fine...helpful, actually! I'll just leave in time to make my 1:30 appt.
                        Murphy's at 11:30!

Comment

Stomach's been growling all morning! Can't wait. Heading out in a few minutes! Come on by, if you can!

Comment

You all have a great time! I'll catch the next one.

Alyn
                            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Definitely sounds like we've got a good list of choices for a future gathering. Hope you can make it then, Glossyp! AbsolutChaos, Jkpescador, think you can join us today? Anyone else?

Auuggh...wanted to make it, but not feeling well. Have a doctor's appt later this afternoon. Hope this downtown lunch event becomes a once a month type of thing. Would love to meet you another time. I like the atmosphere at Murphy's, though I suspect it might be crowded at lunch time. Have fun guys! Sorry I can't be there.

Comment

Had a great lunch with Tutusue, Palama Kid, and jkpescador. On the table were two burgers (Irish Burger and Blarney Burger), salmon pate and the soup of the day, and the beef baja burrito. Lots of great conversation, getting-to-know-you chit chat, geek reminiscing, and of course the usual, "So who is that guy?" gossip...

Sorry we missed you, AbsolutChaos and 1stwahine! Hope you feel better, AbsolutChaos... our household is battling a bug now, too.

There'll definitely be another HT Downtown Lunch... probably mid-May, since Palama Kid will still be in town then! I put in an early vote for Remington College as our next destination.

Comment

Working...
                                X