Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favorite Downtown Honolulu Restaurants

Originally posted by glossyp
    I'm sorry you didn't have a great lunch. What did you order? Can you describe why it was a disappointment? I love Cafe 8 1/2 and don't get there as often as I'd like. I hope they aren't losing their touch.
    . . . . . . . . . . .

hi. i just had the meat sause and i can't remember what my friend ordered. why it was a disappointment? cuz my expectations were high and weren't met. it wasn't juicy or particularly tasty. a little bland. i should over do it and say again that it wasn't awful; it was just okay and just okay is not what i was hoping for. i was hoping to say to my friend (who i dragged to the downtown eatery, hoping to impress him), "isn't this an awesome find?!?" instead, we both thought the food was just okay and we had a nice time talking anyway.

i'd probably give it another try someday but i'm in no rush to go back there. there are other places i'd like to try, like the indian curry place at the remington college building.

one last thing: i should say that the service was good: the woman who worked there was friendly, attentive and polite. may i ask for your recommendation? i mean, what dish do you think is the best there? thanks.
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice
      . . . . . . . . . . .

hi. i just had the meat sause and i can't remember what my friend ordered. why it was a disappointment? cuz my expectations were high and weren't met. it wasn't juicy or particularly tasty. a little bland.
      I worked in one restaurant after another after another from about age 15 through my B.A. Most restaurants were either closed on Mondays, or that's when the "second crew" was working.

Try again on a day other than Monday or Tuesday and it might be a better experience. But I've never been to that restaurant, so I can't offer anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
        I worked in one restaurant after another after another from about age 15 through my B.A. Most restaurants were either closed on Mondays, or that's when the "second crew" was working.

Try again on a day other than Monday or Tuesday and it might be a better experience. But I've never been to that restaurant, so I can't offer anything else.
        . . . . . . . . . . . .

hmmmm. interesting idea. thanks for the tip; i'd never have thought of that on my own, that's for sure.
        525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

All right, downtown folks... We're still on for noon today at the Remington College Building on Bishop Street! Palama Kid, 1stwahine, Jkpescador, Anapuni808, possibly MadAzza... Anyone else? Glossyp? Shaveice? It isn't Cafe 8 1/2!

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice
            . . . . . . . . . . .
            one last thing: i should say that the service was good: the woman who worked there was friendly, attentive and polite. may i ask for your recommendation? i mean, what dish do you think is the best there? thanks.
            Thanks for taking the time to explain your experience further. The first time I went I was with someone who was a regular and she had already figured out the best choices. She wrote about it here. The Raditore Verde and Pollo en Potacchio are still my favorites.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
              All right, downtown folks... We're still on for noon today at the Remington College Building on Bishop Street! Palama Kid, 1stwahine, Jkpescador, Anapuni808, possibly MadAzza... Anyone else? Glossyp? Shaveice? It isn't Cafe 8 1/2!
              I'm really sorry I'm going to miss this one too. Too many deadlines and too much work to get away. Everyone will eat well! Lots of great choices for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                . . . . . . . . . .

ha! ha! i'd love to but i pick up my daughter at 12:30 and so that doesn't leave much time to eat next time!

Comment

My tummy is hungry! I'm on my way to town! I'll see you folks @ Remington.

Look for me in my Whack! Whack! T-Shirt & Papale Hat!

Tiat Miulang is calling me from the airport around 12:00 p.m. She's on her way to Maui! heheheh Hopefully, you'll get to say Aloha too!

See ya!

Auntie Lynn
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Had a good lunch with jkpescador, Palama Kid, anapuni808 and 1stwahine at the Remington College building on Bishop Street (with a call from Miulang). On our table was a couple of Filipino dishes, a taco salad, and one or two other Mexican plates. At our table was a wide-ranging discussion about food, family, technology, and of course the rest of you!

We should most definitely make this a regular tradition. Thanks for the great food and company, and I hope the rest of you can make it to a future gathering soon!

Comment

Great conversation, great company!
                      Can't wait till the next get together!
                      I had the Carditas from "Just Taco's Mexican Grill!" It was onolicious!

Talked with Miulang. Her voice is strong just like a Capricorn. (We born on the same day!) HAHAHAHAHA

Auntie Lynn

btw: More pictures taken by Palama Kid on my Blog @ http://www.auntiepupule.com/blog
                      Last edited by 1stwahine; May 17, 2006, 04:41 PM.
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

What an enjoyable lunch with great company.

I had never had Filipino food and I got to try diguanuan. I was going to have dim sum or curry, but was convinced by pzarquon to try this Filipino delicacy. Now, that's strange . . . he ate sumpin else.

Jkpescador and Anapuni told me that it was day old barbecue meat . . . that's why it looked gray. Auntie Lyn kinda agreed.

Salamat for this new experience.
                        Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Yes, it was a very good lunch! Glad I got to meet Palama Kid & JKPescador - I agree with Lynn that its always fun to connect a face with a screen name & see that we are all regular folks.

I hope we can do this again soon - and of course, since its so convenient - at Remington College Building since I work in the building.

Ryan, mahalo for arranging the lunch.
                          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Sometimes I wonder if Palama Kid is at the same lunch as us.

Nice to meet 1stWahine & Anapuni808. I'll probably run into both of you since you're around downtown.

Perhaps we'll see you next time you're in Hawaii, Palama Kid.
                            just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Have you been to Wahoo Fish Tacos? Its pretty good, and pretty cheap. Its in ward. My sister was telling me I had to go eat there, I was like no way I hate fish tacos, lol but they got all different kinds.

Comment

Originally posted by zccb

Have you been to Wahoo Fish Tacos? Its pretty good, and pretty cheap. Its in ward. My sister was telling me I had to go eat there, I was like no way I hate fish tacos, lol but they got all different kinds.
                                I wonder if they have butterfish (black cod) tacos...

Comment

Working...
                                X