• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WindwardOahuRN
    replied
    Re: Best Ramen

Originally posted by Got2HaVKaYaNoW
    Sorry I voted OTHER, but um, theres one tiny restaurant in Kailua ~ Ra Ra Ramen and they have the most onolicous Miso Spicy Ramen saimin thingy ~ oOh, my mouth is watering just thinking about it!
    Do you mean "Rai Rai Ramen" on Oneawa, near Taco Bell?

I think there is another one on Kapahulu, IIRC.

Leave a comment:

• Got2HaVKaYaNoW
    replied

Sorry I voted OTHER, but um, theres one tiny restaurant in Kailua ~ Ra Ra Ramen and they have the most onolicous Miso Spicy Ramen saimin thingy ~ oOh, my mouth is watering just thinking about it!

Leave a comment:

• Lei Liko
    replied

Originally posted by blueyecicle
    Well, there went my bubble of excitement! Wonder what I ate?
    Lots and lots of stuff that's no good for you

The numbers reflect a package of Top Ramen, but after looking at "specialty ramen" sold at Asian food markets, they're awfully similar, especially with the use of palm oil and MSG.

Leave a comment:

• blueyecicle
    replied

Originally posted by Pomai
    First of all, I wouldn't trust Ramen from a store named "Asian Market". The name alone implicates too many unknown variables. Stick with a Japanese-named Ramen shop, operated by Japanese. That's my criteria here in Honolulu as well. I don't want Ramen that tastes like Kim Chee or Pho.

For any ramen to be inferior to Top Ramen instant noodles has to be REALLY BAD. Yikes.
    Well, there went my bubble of excitement! Wonder what I ate?

Leave a comment:

• Pomai
    replied

Originally posted by blueyecicle
    So I went to this little Asian Market (that's the name) and asked about Ramen and they gave me some shoyu ramen? I am never buying Ramen at the grocery store again! It was nothing like Top Ramen
    First of all, I wouldn't trust Ramen from a store named "Asian Market". The name alone implicates too many unknown variables. Stick with a Japanese-named Ramen shop, operated by Japanese. That's my criteria here in Honolulu as well. I don't want Ramen that tastes like Kim Chee or Pho.

For any ramen to be inferior to Top Ramen instant noodles has to be REALLY BAD. Yikes.

Leave a comment:

• blueyecicle
    replied

So I went to this little Asian Market (that's the name) and asked about Ramen and they gave me some shoyu ramen? OMG I am never buying Ramen at the grocery store again! It was worth the language difficulties and travel time too! It was nothing like Top Ramen

Leave a comment:

• Pomai
    replied

Last night I paid a visit to Gyoza No Ohsho in King's Village Plaza on Kaiulani Ave., just across the Hyatt Regency Waikiki. This is the former home of Ito Guruma Ramen House, which was EXCELLENT.

I ordered the Char Siu Ramen ($8.50) and an Asahi Beer, here...

Notice how square the cuts of Chashu is. The broth was rather mild and I didn't really care for the bean sprouts in it. Also, the lack of Menma (bamboo shoots) was disappointing. The ramen noodles had that traditional egg-based flavor, so that was good.

Overall, I'd give this bowl of what I'll rename "Chashumen" a 7 out of 10. Good, but not great. I was the only patron in there at the time, so naturally the service was very attentive from the two young hosts. We talked more about where the party was at after they closed. I couldn't get any "secret" ingredients out of them. lol

A surfer-looking dude came in just before closing and ordered Gyoza to go, which he testified to me that was "da' bomb". So I imagine being their namesake, that's their calling. Next time.

Here's the storefront...

Leave a comment:

• Pomai
    replied

Here's another bowl of Chashumen I made just about an hour ago for lunch...

Chashumen, "Tokyo Style": 1 serving Sun Noodle Shoyu Ramen, low sodium chicken stock (for added broth flavor) and water. Toppings: Chashu (Japanese variant of Charsiu. Made from scratch; see previous post), Menma (marinated Bamboo shoots; that straw-looking stuff in the middle), Negi (Japanese LARGE green onion), Nori (that black thing on top) and Quail Eggs (with one slice of US grade medium egg for good measure). 2 tops of green onion for presentation.

Of course to make the meal complete, a side of Gyoza with Ponzu sauce are always in order..

Here's another shot of the packaging so you can see the fresh ramen noodles with wrapper removed...

As usual, this one comes out almost as great as the one from that little Ramen Shop in Ginza. Sugoi oishii desu!
    Last edited by Pomai; September 4, 2006, 02:17 PM. Reason: more descriptive about ingredients

Leave a comment:

• Erika Engle
    replied

Originally posted by Paul Ogata
    Nevermind payday, get Nadine Kam to write about it and accompany her for free grinds.
    Eat on the company dime/company time? Yeah, I could do that! Oh Nadine ...

Leave a comment:

• Paul Ogata
    replied

Originally posted by Erika Engle
    Hey Paul -- howzit!!!

Boy this sounds good. I don't get into Waikiki very often -- and it's usually to cover or MC some sort of luncheon. Perhaps one weekend, after payday.

Where would/did you park when you went there?

From Kalakaua, head mauka on Lewers and take your first left (Lauula??). As you head to the end of that street, you'll see parking there. I think we had to put some money in the pay box, but I can't remember. But you won't be sorry you had to pay for parking after you eat there.

Nevermind payday, get Nadine Kam to write about it and accompany her for free grinds.

Leave a comment:

• Erika Engle
    replied

Has anyone mentioned Tenkaippin yet? It's in Waikiki, on Kalakaua, sort of across the street from Beachwalk. If you haven't been there, you must give it a shot!

The broth is thicker than at other places, and sooooo tasty.
    Hey Paul -- howzit!!!

Boy this sounds good. I don't get into Waikiki very often -- and it's usually to cover or MC some sort of luncheon. Perhaps one weekend, after payday.

Where would/did you park when you went there?

Leave a comment:

• Erika Engle
    replied

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
    No Cases booth was giving the ramen away for free.... however... the cost of one package of ramen is nothing compared to the cost of one bottle of water... which a few of the other politicians were giving away for free....
    Erika...don't make this ramengate
    ...or worse -- another Watergate! (In this case, bottled-watergate.)

Leave a comment:

• Leo Lakio
    replied

Has anyone mentioned Tenkaippin yet? It's in Waikiki, on Kalakaua, sort of across the street from Beachwalk. If you haven't been there, you must give it a shot!
    Went to one in Kyoto - you are absolutely right, Paul. I finished off every drop of dashi.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Ogata
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Leo Lakio
    replied

Originally posted by hawaiidreaming
    i have never tryed that or heard of it
    When you get to O`ahu, check out some of the places mentioned on this thread; try something new (and, of course, you'll have to report back to us and tell us what you thought.) Get yourself over to Ezogiku. At the most basic level, ramen & saimin are noodle soups, but with a lot of delicious options to go in them. If you find you like them, there are a lot of other kinds of noodles you can try, too, like udon and soba. You'll find a lot of noodle dishes end in the letters "men," "min" or "mein."

My preference is for ramen in a spicy miso broth, with char siu (slices of barbecued pork), kamaboko (fish cake), green onions and garlic. Spam would be welcomed, too. Second choice would be a curry chicken udon.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X