• hawaiidreaming
    replied
    Re: Best Ramen

i have never tryed that or heard of it

Leave a comment:

• Kahalu'u_Chrome
    replied

Dam, Pomai - when ya cooking for the rest of us.....

Yummy!

Leave a comment:

• Mike_Lowery
    replied

I've eaten at every establishment in Lihue on my lunchbreak. I had to resort to eating at Hamura's AGAIN today.

Leave a comment:

• Pomai
    replied
    Re: Best Ramen: Sun Noodle

Here's a bowl of Chashumen I prepared last night, made from Sun Noodle Shoyu Ramen...

Chashumen made with Sun Noodle Shoyu Ramen with Gyoza and Ponzu Sauce on the side. I could've done better on presentation here, but I was in a rush to get the shot and eat the stuff before it got cold.

For the Ramen, the tan strips on the bottom left corner are Menma (Bamboo Shoots). The two small hard boiled eggs are Quail. I made the Chashu (Charsiu) by simmering pork in Sake, Mirin, Shoyu and fresh Ginger, then placing thin slices in ramen as shown. There's also Nori and Negi (Japanese Scallion). Notice the yellowish color of the FRESH (not dried) wheat and egg-based noodles. I also added some of the cooking broth from the Chashu into the bowl.

The Gyoza (pot stickers) are Ling Ling brand from Costco. Ponzu is Shirakiku brand.

Sun Noodle Shoyu Ramen (manufactured in Kalihi) is available in the refrigerator section of most supermarkets around Oahu (not sure about the neighbor islands). Each package includes 2 servings of FRESH noodles and liquid broth packets.

Nutrition wise, 1/2 package contains 420 calories (calories from fat 40), 4.5 grams total fat, and 3,400 mg of sodium (not including garnishes as shown).

It's often on sale at Daiei for under $2.00 a package. Costco also has them in bulk packs of 3 for about the same unit price. There's several other flavors, including Miso and Tonkotsu.

To sum it up, Sun Noodle has captured the essence of authentic Japanese Ramen served in specialty shops and made it accessible for everyone to take home and enjoy. SUGOI OISHII DESU!
    Last edited by Pomai; August 28, 2006, 12:12 AM. Reason: corrected nutritional values

Leave a comment:

• anapuni808
    replied

No, those pack of ramen & saimin noodles kept me going when I couldn't afford anything else except peanut butter. I no longer eat any noodle such as ramen or saimin simply because it reminds me of those days. Those days were not very much fun for me.

Leave a comment:

• Lei Liko
    replied

Originally posted by doc1456
    Sheesh, people talk like those packaged saimins are a plague.

Are thoses really bad?
    Are you kidding me? With the MSG and preservatives?

I have one in front of me:

14 grams of fat! In saturated fat you're getting 36% of your daily allowance right there!

1,560mg of Sodium! (from the seasoning packet) that's 66% of your daily allowance.

And then there's absolutely nothing of nutritional value in these noodles, except they're forced to use enriched flour so you'll get some trace amount of vitamins.

People assume that packaged ramen noodles are like dried noodles (like pasta). Most packaged noodles are fried in palm oil (which is practically the worst type of cooking oil you can use).

Leave a comment:

• adrian
    replied

Sheesh, people talk like those packaged saimins are a plague.

Are thoses really bad? And if so, then what should we start eating?

Leave a comment:

• anapuni808
    replied

When I first moved to town from Waianae in 1964, my room mate & I were so poor that we survived on the dry noodle soup packages with the little seasoning pack (plain, just the hot water), peanut butter, & crackers that a waitress friend would keep us supplied with and not much else. To this day, I avoid those kind soups like the plague! They have such bad memories attached. Kind of wonder though - how come I still like peanut butter & crackers?

Leave a comment:

• damontucker
    replied

Originally posted by Erika Engle
    So, he was CHARGING for them? ... like as a fundraiser?
    Now I'M the one that's confused.
    No Cases booth was giving the ramen away for free.... however... the cost of one package of ramen is nothing compared to the cost of one bottle of water... which a few of the other politicians were giving away for free....

No get me wrong...I think they may have had water at their booth to give away like in small cups or something... (however, I didn't see it...what I saw was the free packages of Top Ramen and I was also told he personally attempted to give someone I was close to a bag of Ramen along w/ the handshake...etc)

Erika...don't make this ramengate
    Last edited by damontucker; August 27, 2006, 06:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Erika Engle
    replied

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
    Ok in all fairness...
    Other politicians BOOTHS were giving away bottles of water...(it was $2.00 at the fair anywhere else)
    Another was giving away Frisbees...etc...
    However, it was CASE himself handing out Ramen Packs.... (5 for a dollar??? compared to the prices of 5 bottles of water?)
    So, he was CHARGING for them? ... like as a fundraiser?
    Now I'M the one that's confused.

Leave a comment:

• damontucker
    replied

Ok in all fairness...

Other politicians BOOTHS were giving away bottles of water...(it was $2.00 at the fair anywhere else)

Another was giving away Frisbees...etc...

However, it was CASE himself handing out Ramen Packs.... (5 for a dollar??? compared to the prices of 5 bottles of water?)

Also, seen personally in the crowd was Matt Matsunaga... etc...

Leave a comment:

• Erika Engle
    replied

I'm no branding or marketing or campaigning expert, but whaaat? Giving away ramen packs?

So, the message is:

- Case feeds the hungry? (or the freebie-seeker?)
    - You're so poor, this free food will make you grateful enough to vote for me? (But what if I'm homeless and have no way to cook it?)
    - Sparky was famous for his navy bean soup, I'll be famous for the dehydrated/reconstituted ramen I serve office visitors in DC?
    - I'm LOCAL too!(?)
    - I'm the "Top" candidate and will use my noodle in DC?

Well, if Jeremy Harris can give away ice cold slices of watermelon to parched Kailua 4th of July Parade viewers, (which made total sense and was greatly appreciated in the heat of the day), I guess Ed can give away ramen.

Leave a comment:

• damontucker
    replied

FWIW - at Ed Cases Politcal booth at the Kauai Farm Fair...they were giving away "Top Ramen" Packages.

He was also seen running around the fairgrounds giving away packages of it too people as they shook hands etc.

Leave a comment:

• Erika Engle
    replied

I wanted to vote for two brands of ramen, but could only choose one.

I was raised with Sapporo Ichiban; my mom always managed to find it where ever we lived on the mainland. Her head must have nearly exploded when we moved to Hawaii and she encountered the vast selection at the supermarkets!

Now that I'M a mom, I buy what's on sale, and Maruchan and Top Ramen are always, it seems, cheaper than Sapporo Ichiban.

I like the new flavors that have become available in recent years, sesame chicken, mushroom ... and my current favorite, though I don't know how Asian it tastes -- is creamy chicken.

Due to concerns about fat and cholesterol, I learned from my mom to drain the water and put new water (and let it come back up to temp.) before adding the soup base.

I'm not a fan of the Cup Noodle products -- but I DO love the Nong Shim Hot and Spicy Bowl Noodle! They also offer Kimchi flavor, (their spelling, not mine) but I don't like it as much as the other.

Ezogiku ROCKS. Their ramen is wonderful, but it's the gyoza that keeps me coming back. Sumo Ramen is also good -- their spicy mabo tofu ramen is really yummy.

Shiro's Saimin Haven has so many choices -- it's hard to decide. It's really good, though.

One thing that cracks me up at ramen/saimin/plate lunch places is that char siu is almost always misspelled on the menus -- to the point where I find myself wondering if it's SUPPOSED to be spelled char s-u-i ... but maybe that's due to confusion over hog-calling contests?

Leave a comment:

• Leo Lakio
    replied
    Re: Best Ramen & Saimin

Originally posted by Pomai
    > Kamaboko (Fish Cake)
    > Spam (Luncheon Meat)
    > Charsiu (or Chashu)
    > Nori
    > Green Onions or Negi (Japanese Scallion)
    The above.

As for bean sprouts...moyashi nai!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X