X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butch003
    replied
    Re: Best Fried Chicken?

Another vote for Chruch's. Scores of their stores here in Phoenix and I heard that there's one in Pearlridge there.

Leave a comment:

• kani-lehua
    replied

oh, yeah! that chicken was good and greasy. i used to always get the drumsticks. sorry, don't remember the seasonings either. can't eat fried chicken anymore anyways.

Leave a comment:

• Ron Whitfield
    replied

Mmmmm..., textiles!

Leave a comment:

• Pomai
    replied
    Woolworth's Fried Chicken

A Hawaii expat recently emailed me seeking out the recipe for Woolworth's Fried Chicken. Anyone got any sources or suggested recipe substitutions you think would taste like theirs?

I told the person that Foodland and Safeway's deli fried chicken reminded me of Woolworth's, with that crispy, sort of thick batter, but he said it's not quite the same. I can't remember exactly how Woolworth's Fried Chicken tasted (seasonings-wise), except for those attributes.

Searching around, there's some interesting recollections of it made here at mmm-yoso!!!'s blog.

I don't remember that foil bag, either. Only the chicken sitting under a heat lamp warmer in the store. And the smell of the store, which had an interesting combination of fried chicken, coffee, fragrance candles, sweets, new clothes and textiles.

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

Originally posted by gordo View Post
    I think there's a Church's in the Pearlridge uptown food court. Call first before to make sure they are actually there.
    Yes. There are several posts in this very thread that discuss that!

Leave a comment:

• gordo
    replied

I think there's a Church's in the Pearlridge uptown food court. Call first before to make sure they are actually there.

Leave a comment:

• pzarquon
    replied

From our very own scrivener's photostream, news of a new Church's Chicken location in Kalihi. Among fast-food chicken chains, Church's is our family's favorite (though our tastes are influenced by my wife's southern palate). I hope they'll put one in Wahiawa soon.

Leave a comment:

• tvguy
    replied

There was also a Pioneer Chicken in Kahala just outside the bowling alley. Two words for everyone. . . Value Pack.

Anyone remember the line in rapper Warren G.'s song "This DJ"?

I was fourteen years old, havin a sack
    Just a young mother*$#!@# eatin ValuPaks

OK, obscure reference for those over 40, but Pioneer was my favorite. Moms would buy the 9 Piece after baseball or basketball practice and me and my brothers were set.

Leave a comment:

• jkpescador
    replied

I got back from New Orleans and the winner of the best fried chicken there was Popeye's.

Leave a comment:

• LikaNui
    replied

Originally posted by Paul Ogata View Post
    Finally made it to Aunt Kizzy's today for lunch. The food was good, especially the greens. Wow, were the greens awesome! The fried chicken was good, too. But I have to give the edge on the chicken to Roscoe's. Whatever it is that Roscoe's does to the skin is magical! But Kizzy's menu seems much broader than Roscoe's, and I look forward to more visits to The Back Porch.
    They have a whole mess of stuff that I want to try including the catfish, okra, jambalaya, sweet potato pie. Plus, Kizzy's gets my vote for ambience and friendly service.
    So let me know where to send the Christmas card!
    Sorry; somehow I missed seeing this post. I was just going to revive the thread and and ask, but there you were. Thanks for the report.
    Glad you liked Aunt Kizzy's, and your comment about the ambience and service is spot on. Kind of a pleasant surprise for a place in a shopping center, eh?
    No need to send a Christmas card. A small donation to Auntie Lynne and Blaine's "Christmas Keiki Slippah Fund" will do just fine!

Leave a comment:

• tikiyaki
    replied

Originally posted by Paul Ogata View Post
    Finally made it to Aunt Kizzy's today for lunch. The food was good, especially the greens. Wow, were the greens awesome! The fried chicken was good, too. But I have to give the edge on the chicken to Roscoe's. Whatever it is that Roscoe's does to the skin is magical! But Kizzy's menu seems much broader than Roscoe's, and I look forward to more visits to The Back Porch.

They have a whole mess of stuff that I want to try including the catfish, okra, jambalaya, sweet potato pie. Plus, Kizzy's gets my vote for ambience and friendly service.

Also, as a kid, I remember eating at the Pioneer Chicken in the Waimalu Plaza Shopping Center. Can't say I remember the food. But I do remember they had the best giveaways: magic tricks! Man, I was so into that when I was a kid.

Paul....you live in LA, yea ? Please check out Dinah's Chicken in Atwater Village....on San fernando near Los Feliz Blvd....most amazing fried chicken I ever ate :-)

Leave a comment:

• Paul Ogata
    replied

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
    Let us know how you liked Aunt Kizzy's, please. And hopefully Paul Ogata will too.
    Trust me. You'll both add me to your Christmas card list once you've tried AK's.

Also, as a kid, I remember eating at the Pioneer Chicken in the Waimalu Plaza Shopping Center. Can't say I remember the food. But I do remember they had the best giveaways: magic tricks! Man, I was so into that when I was a kid.

Leave a comment:

• warrior98
    replied

When I lived in LA, I would talk story with one of the owners of a Hawaiian food catering service. Everytime he would tell me he had this great idea of a franchise to bring into Hawaii, but he would never spill it. So finally one day he spilled his idea. El Pollo Loco, because in his mind, it was similar to huli-huli so very little ramping required for local tastes

You should have seen his face when I told him, El Pollo Loco was here, then failed quickly. It was like, I killed his one great dream. Never talked to him again after that. Heard that his catering business closed. Somehow I feel responsible ...

----

On a fried chicken note, my wife seems to like Popeye's and their coupon offers, so we tend to eat there a lot. Have to say I prefer it to Z's and KFC.

The next venture will be to try Church's here. Heard some good things about them

Leave a comment:

• MixedPlateBroker
    replied

Anyone remember El Pollo Loco? I used to occasionally hit up their Westridge location back in the day. Incrementally better'n KFC, but zero marketing footprint in Hawaii. Probably a big reason why they packed it up. Looks like they totally retooled their menu and focus.

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

Originally posted by johmbolaya View Post
    I found out there are still a few Pioneer's in Southern California, I think five are left, with two of them using the original recipe. If I ever make it down to Cali again, I'll have to hunt it down.
    Well what do you know. I may have to schedule a road trip myself the next time I'm in Cali. You don't suppose they make the Hawaiian sauce there, do you?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X