No announcement yet.

Could You Survive On Your Race's Diet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Could You Survive On Your Race's Diet?

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    Answer #1: There's a "haole diet?" What - Twinkies & Mickey D? It'll kill me.

Answer #2: I'm enough of a poi dog that there's plenty to choose from, so yes I could. But I'm fortunate to have all of the human race's diet to choose from - an option that would not have been available even less than a century ago.
    Traditional food....for "**ole"
    Meat, venision, beef, pig, potatoes, carrots, chicken, flours, noodles. Country cooking.
    Since when is psycho a bad thing??
    Sharing withother survivors...
    www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

If I could only eat one thing for the rest of my life, it would definitely be corned beef and cabbage.
      Don't be mean,
      try to help.

Comment

My own:
        Japanese - sashimi, sushi, pork/chicken tofu, tonkatsu, miso;
        Chinese - kun pao chicken, char siu, long bean pork, Mongolian beef, Singapore rice noodles, prefer Mandarin/Szechuan cuisine over Cantonese;

Alpha female: andagi, shoyu pork;

Other culture (step-dad): Portuguese bean soup, Portuguese sausage, sweet bread, malasadas

These days, all in moderation.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
          ROFLMAO. Guiness? Food, tutusue, food. [...]
          Oooooh...now I get it!

Don't like Guiness either! Guess I shoulda been born French or a (Napa) Valley girl!

Food, huh? Nah, I'd starve. The best chocolate comes from Belgium and Switzerland. AFAIK there isn't a drop of either pulsing thru my veins. Honestly, when was the last time you heard Irish chocolate was at the top of the list? <g>

Comment

Whenever anyone asks me what ethnicity I am, I almost always say: “Japanese ... (long pause) ... actually, Okinawan.” And there’s the rub! It wasn’t until high school that I became aware that I was Okinawan, and that there was a difference between Japanese (naichi) and Okinawan. I always have to think twice before declaring what ethnicity I am. I think most Okinawans go through this.

But as far as food goes: I can easily survive on either Japanese or Okinawan (except for natto). My absolute favorite Okinawan dish is shoyu pork which, when you see it, and know what it is, you might think is obscenely unhealthy, but I think it is actually fairly benign, thanks to the long cooking process ... but oh so ono! Another favorite Okinawan dish is sparerib soup (sokibuni nu shimun), which is another dish that sounds obscenely unhealthy, but actually is very, very healthy. I could eat it every day.

But if I had to choose, I would prefer variety ... that’s what’s so good about Hawaii.

Comment

I was once walking down the street in San Francisco with a friend and we were so hungry that we swore the next eatery we came across we'd go into.
              Turned out to be "traditional Tibetan."
              Pretty good, too.
              Burl Burlingame
              "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
              honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Ai, Honoruru, you Champuru eh?

I mek sanmai niku and the spareribs soup all the time for my wife. Another Champuru. Oh yeah, I mek champuru too. She doesn't like oxtail soup, though, another great Okinawan dish. My MIL made squid ink soup for me....one time. No like. Same with the pig intestine soup. No like dat either. Wife's aunty always makes us vegetable tempura, which I understand her version is also of Okinawan origin.

You're right about the food. Sounds nasty, but actually more healthy eating than regular Japanese food. Less sugar and salt all the way around.

Comment

Ai, Honoruru, you Champuru eh?
                  Aren't you referring to the term Uchinanchu? This is the Okinawan term used to describe their roots to Okinawa.

Calling someone Champuru is kinda' like someone Japanese calling themselves "Sukiyaki". lol

Of course, sometimes us mixed breed folks refer ourselves as "Chop Suey".

Here's a plate of Champuru served at the '06 Okinawan festival..

Champuru: a stir-fried mixture of vegetables and agedofu (deep-fried tofu) served with shoyu pork (Rafute), a teaspoon of andamisu (pork and miso mixture), and rice
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

There is a tremendous amount of UCHINANCHU pride in their culture. When I grew up, I was unaware of the "differences" espoused by the older generation, which were negative and discriminatory.

My better half tells our kids that they are 25% Japanese, 25% Chinese, and 50% Okinawan! To fit in, I say that since I'm 50% Naichi (main island Japanese) and 50% "Pake," I must be Okinawan as my Chinese side originated from Canton (Okinawa is located in between). If that side was from northern China, then I'd be Korean.

Family gatherings and football tail-gates reflect the wide variety of cuisine available here. In other words, LOCAL.

Comment

Chinese or Japanese food I can live on forever. I lived in Japan for 7 years as an Air Force brat so I was exposed to a lot of Japanese food.

Comment

I'm 100% Italian.

Let's see...

Pasta :
                        Ravioli, Spaghetti, Tortellini, Rigatoni, Penne, Gnocchi...
                        Sauces :
                        Traditional Tomato Basil, Bolognese, Primavera, Pesto, Alfredo, Garlic and Oil, Clam Sauce-white or red, Arrabiata

***PIZZA***

MEATS :
                        Sausage and Peppiz (Peppers)
                        Meatballs
                        Chicken Cacciatore
                        Chicken Marsala
                        Bragiole

Salads :
                        Caprese Salad - (Tomatos, Fresh MOOTS (Mozzerella), Basil, roasted Peppiz, Olive Oil), Ceasar Salad
                        Soup :
                        Minestrone
                        Italian Wedding Soup
                        Seafood - Lots
                        Desserts :
                        Cannoli, Sfogliatelle, the cookies, the cakes, MADON' A MIA !!!
                        Espresso

do I need to go on ?

Answer : Yes, I could survive on JUST Italian food.

The first one on the list - Ravioli and a good Tomato Basil sauce - I could live on that alone the rest of my life.
                        http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                        Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                        Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

I definitely could survive on my races diet...no probs! I wish I had japanese in me as its japanese food that I adore. I eat sushi at least 3 days a week. I especially love Uni, mmmm the sweeter the better!

I hate potatoes and turkey (eat ham at Thanksgiving). As well as McD's and the like the most. I rarely eat beef, mostly eat fish, chicken and pork. When I first got married, cooked steak and potatoes alot for my hoale husband. Nowadays, he eats mostly rice with Shoyu as I no longer cook potatoes.....all the potatoes in our house is bought ready made from places like Boston Market and Dave's Chicken Pies.
                          Lovena

Comment

Most definitely I could survive on Indian food--assuming that I had someone who knew how to cook it properly (unlike most of the restaurants around here) for me and I had access to all the spices....if it meant surviving on my own cooking of Indian food, a definite NO!

That said, I'm too Americanized to go long without non-Indian cheese. If I was told I couldn't eat cheese anymore, that would take most of the joy out of my life.
                            Last edited by AbsolutChaos; March 13, 2007, 05:30 AM.

Comment

Lucky me, I get to have ALL of it.
                              FutureNewsNetwork.com
                              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                                I'm half Irish...and I don't like Irish whiskey.
                                I'm one quarter Scotch...and, well, I don't like scotch.
                                I'm part Irish...which means I want a drink. I'm also part Scots...which means I don't want to pay for it.
                                ROFLMAO. Guiness? Food, tutusue, food.
                                Guinness IS food.
                                Originally posted by timkona View Post
                                Lucky me, I get to have ALL of it.
                                Agreed, Tim - as I said before:
                                Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                                I'm fortunate to have all of the human race's diet to choose from

Comment

Working...
                                X