• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alohacandy
    replied
    Re: "Authentic" Mexican Food?!

Originally posted by alohacandy View Post
    The ceviche from Los Quinteros in Wahiawa won first place in the food contest held at the Jawaiian BBQ Cookoff a few weeks ago....not sure how ceviche counts as Jawaiian, but it sure was gooooooooooooooood!!

Ooops...I meant El Palenque in Wahiawa....

Leave a comment:

• anapuni808
    replied

"Just Tacos" has opened a full service restaurant in Mililani at the shopping center on Meheula Parkway. It is in the same area as the movie theaters. We went there several weeks ago & the food is wonderful! Plus, they have 79 different kinds of tequila. They only serve Mexican beers & Tequilas. I believe they also have music on Friday nites - at least I've heard it's pretty much a party scene!

They are expanding and will soon have 2 new locations. Quite a move up from the small taco place in the Remington College Building downtown. But = the food is still "authentic" and delicious!!!!

Leave a comment:

• alohacandy
    replied

Originally posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
    Los Tres was our favorite, too. So sad. We try to console ourselves with the carne asada burritos from Baja Taco (corner of St. Louis and Waialae), menudo from El Burrito and ceviche from Quintero's.

Not in one day, of course.
    The ceviche from Los Quinteros in Wahiawa won first place in the food contest held at the Jawaiian BBQ Cookoff a few weeks ago....not sure how ceviche counts as Jawaiian, but it sure was gooooooooooooooood!!

Leave a comment:

• MixedPlateBroker
    replied

Los Tres was our favorite, too. So sad. We try to console ourselves with the carne asada burritos from Baja Taco (corner of St. Louis and Waialae), menudo from El Burrito and ceviche from Quintero's.

Not in one day, of course.

Leave a comment:

• anapuni808
    replied

During the few years I lived in So. Calif., I was privileged to have many neighbors who were "newcomers" from south of the border - didn't question their status . But, I also NEVER said no to an invitation to eat at their house. As the only "Norte Americano" in the building, I used to tutor in English and help with understaning their paperwork. My pay was free language lessons and lots of free food! We were all mostly without any extra $$$ so the trading worked out fine. I also fondly remember the little tortilla lady that used to come around with her shopping cart & cooler, selling the best tortillas I've ever had! Most were from areas close to the Calif./Mexico border so that was the primary type of food served - from their home states in Mexico. But, I've also had food from Yucatan and Vera Cruz style - they are all different due to the ingredients they can find.

The only "authentic" food I won't eat is menudo - I've never had a hangover that was bad enough to convince me to eat this famous remedy!

I guess what I'm trying to say is: my feeling is that if its cooked by the folks who grew up eating the food & learning the proper preparation, then I consider it authentic. I also agree with Miulang - another good sign is if other Mexicans eat in the restaurant, thats a pretty good sign of "authenticity"

Now I'm hungry!

Leave a comment:

• hawaiian_pride
    replied

Yeah it's too bad that he had to close.. They were pretty good... but anyway thanks for the reply...I lived in mililani so not to far from there.. His carne Asada was pretty good too!!!

Leave a comment:

• AbsolutChaos
    replied

Originally posted by hawaiian_pride
    Honestly there was one in wahiawa which I think was pretty good. It was located where the foodland supermarket is in wahiawa, I believe it was California Ave. It was called Los Tres Compadres. Not really sure what happened.... but one day they were gone... Yeah I no longer live in the islands i live in great northwest with alot of authentic mexican food.

I miss Los Tres Compadres...the owner had to close up shop because he lost too many military customers due to them being shipped out, and he also said he couldn't afford the rents in Honolulu in order to move the restaurant.

Leave a comment:

• hawaiian_pride
    replied

Honestly there was one in wahiawa which I think was pretty good. It was located where the foodland supermarket is in wahiawa, I believe it was California Ave. It was called Los Tres Compadres. Not really sure what happened.... but one day they were gone... Yeah I no longer live in the islands i live in great northwest with alot of authentic mexican food.

Leave a comment:

• Linkmeister
    replied

Here's evidence that one can find a blog about anything:

The Great Taco Hunt

In which the author recounts his/her search for good tacos in Los Angeles.

For all you Angelenos, there's a list of restaurants on the blog's sidebar.

Leave a comment:

• Erika Engle
    replied

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye
    Probably the same for most of us. That's what makes food discussion fun, especially food in Hawaii. Barring any gastrointestinal problems , we can still enjoy most of what Hawaii has to offer in moderation.
    Aye, eye! True dat!

Leave a comment:

• Da Rolling Eye
    replied

Originally posted by kimo55
    Nooo. they didn't come from Louisiana...They came from all parts of south of the border. That's what Mama said...
    Los Angeles.............
    I'm not an expert in any type of cuisine, but I sure do love the learning process. I know a lot less than what there is to be known. Joy! I think I've just found my new signature.
    Probably the same for most of us. That's what makes food discussion fun, especially food in Hawaii. Barring any gastrointestinal problems , we can still enjoy most of what Hawaii has to offer in moderation.
    Last edited by Da Rolling Eye; March 30, 2006, 07:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Erika Engle
    replied

A quote about Italian food, to illustrate a point.

Titled "Arrivederci, 'Italian' Food," from the April 2006 "Gourmet" magazine.

"Tell her," I said, "that I feel that now I have finally tasted Italy."
    "Oh no," said Giorgio, turning to shake his finger at me. "This is not Italian food. This is the food of Campania."
    "But Campania is part of Italy," I insisted.
    "But in our country," he said, "there is not one kind of food. There are many. Everyone, everywhere, they eat different."
    -- Ruth Reichl, Editor in Chief

There are different regions of Mexico, too. Americans, or immigrant-Americans, change authentic ethnic cuisine to allow for what was available/convenient in America.

I was not long out of high school when I ate at a then-new Mexican restaurant in Hilo named Reuben's. It was there that I had my very first taco made with SHREDDED BEEF, as opposed to ground beef -- which Mexicano Reuben told me was the way he grew up eating tacos.

My Sicilian brother-in-law, based on the tutelage of his even more Sicilian grandmother, makes his meatballs OVAL (and slightly flattened) -- NOT ROUND, as we do in the U.S. If you do the same, you'll find there's more surface for caramelization. (Prior to simmering them in or serving them with sauce.) Ono!

If you've watched Mario B., Giada D. or many of the Food Network chefs/cooks/etc., you KNOW that there's a difference between cuisine from Italy and "Italian-American" food. The same MUST, therefore, be true of cuisine from Mexico and "Mexican-American" food -- especially when you throw in the whole "Tex-Mex" and "Southwest" factors.

I'm not an expert in any type of cuisine, but I sure do love the learning process. I know a lot less than what there is to be known. Joy! I think I've just found my new signature.

Leave a comment:

• kimo55
    replied

Nooo. they didn't come from Louisiana...

They came from all parts of south of the border. That's what Mama said...

Leave a comment:

• Da Rolling Eye
    replied

Originally posted by Miulang
    Wonder what region the Mexicans who serve authentic Mexican food in Honolulu came from originally?
    LA.................................

Leave a comment:

• Miulang
    replied

Up here, many of the Mexican restaurants (the smaller, family owned ones) serve Oaxacan and Michoacan regional dishes, because the immigrants from those regions are the ones who settled up here. Wonder what region the Mexicans who serve authentic Mexican food in Honolulu came from originally?

Miulang

Leave a comment:

Working...
X