Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaiian Culture

Originally posted by craigwatanabe

So really F@#kin Haole really shouldn't come together because F@#k really desecrates the Hawaiian language by it's insertion . Actually it desecrates even the English language too.
    wait. after all the desecration to these islands committed by da "F@#kin Haole", we gotta be concerned about dis now?!

I'll leave that to anal retentive bean counter bureaucratic politically correct manini mister language person.

Comment

So really F@#kin Haole really shouldn't come together because ....

But like George Carlin said, .....

soooo, asked and answered within your own post!

Comment

But like George Carlin said, "F@#k it's such an innocent word meaning to procreate as opposed to KILL because I'd rather watch a Western where the bad guy tells the Sheriff: Okay Sheriff we're gonna F@#k ya now, but we're gonna F@#k ya real slooowww." And who said Westerns were boring

personally I am very offended by this statement.
        cuz it should be:

"we're gonna F@#k ya very slooowwwly"

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
          (that's why I think Dick Cheney wasn't chastised too much when he uttered those words in Congress). Miulang

uhhh, nooo. That's cuz by then erryone's ears were shot ta hell from Teresa Heinz Kerry's profanity.

As well as Kerry's favorite comedienne at his gathering and her foul mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
            uhhh, nooo. That's cuz by then erryone's ears were shot ta hell from Teresa Heinz Kerry's profanity.

As well as Kerry's favorite comedienne at his gathering and her foul mouth.
            Don't hate her because she's (gasp!) a foreigner and a tough broad businesswoman who gives away millions of dollars every year, OK ? I think at least she's got some piss and vinegar in her, unlike Stepford Wives Laura.

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Don't hate her because she's (gasp!) a foreigner and a tough broad businesswoman who gives away millions of dollars every year,
              Miulang
              no, I like any woman that does that. DON"T like the profanity. And if stepford wife implies lending much needed dignity to that station, that's good enuff for me.

Piss and vinegar should be left at home in the bathroom and the kitchen. Not displayed in public to that extent.
              Last edited by kimo55; October 12, 2004, 08:29 PM.

Comment

no, I like any woman that does that. DON"T like the profanity. And if stepford wife means dignity in that station, that's good enuff for me.

Piss and vinegar should be left at home in the bathroom and the kitchen. Not displayed in public to that extent.
                It may just be a "cultural thing" for Teresa. She's Mozambiquan, daughter of a diplomat, studied in South Africa and Geneva, got a job at the UN. She's been surrounded by very powerful men most of her life (including her marriage to Sen. John Heinz). After his death, lots of people wanted her to run for his seat, but she instead went on to become chairperson of 2 Heinz endowments. In order to succeed, she's had to emulate many of the characteristics of the men who surrounded her (Remember Maggie Thatcher? Same thing). She's got quite an extensive CV of accomplishments. I don't necessarily condone her talking like a man, but at least I know she has strength in her convictions and is a doer, and not necessarily a follower.

What does Laura Bush's CV look like? Former teacher and librarian, mother to 2 hell-raising daughters.

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Laura Bush

Former teacher and librarian, mother to 2 hell-raising daughters.

Miulang

that's good enuff for me, too
                  Nothing ignoble about those two positions. I am proud to say, I am a former teacher. and I grew up in libraries to a great extent and I was a librarian too.
                  Last edited by kimo55; October 12, 2004, 09:03 PM.

Comment

that's good enuff for me, too
                    Nothing ignoble about those two positions. I am proud to say, I am a former teacher. and I grew up in libraries to a great extent and I was a librarian too.
                    Yeah, but I bet you don't have 2 hell-raising daughters!

Miulang

Comment

Yeah, but I bet you don't have 2 hell-raising daughters!

Miulang

progeny = irrelevancy

Comment

progeny = irrelevancy
                        Strictly O/T, but how your kids turn out is a reflection on the parents and their skills, I think.

Miulang

Comment

This post is getting so F@#ked up! Darn and to think it all started with a simple theme of Hawaiian Culture.

Hmmm...So should you use your finger or a spoon when sampling poi at a gathering?
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

This post is getting so F@#ked up! Darn and to think it all started with a simple theme of Hawaiian Culture.

Hmmm...So should you use your finger or a spoon when sampling poi at a gathering?
                            hmmm.
                            I would have my own bowl. 2 finger, one finger whatevahs.
                            use fingers at small gathering with ohana.

but big gathering or some wackywacky beach public haole tourist luau, nutting from da communal bowl fer me t'anks!

Strictly O/T, but how your kids turn out is a reflection on the parents and their skills, I think.
                            on topic;
                            i teach kids to appreciate poi with one finger or two. No spoons. haole way, ugh..
                            try things the Hawaiian way. there's a good book on that subject i think with that title:
                            Doing things the Hawaiian way.
                            wherein with alotta illustrations, shows how to do create things... prep food, make clothing, etc. the old Hawaiian way. This is a great book for kids of all ages to use in order to appreciate our land and people

I think this kinda thing is greatly missing in Hawaii., Too much emphasis in schools and the media on whats cool and irrelevant trends and vacuous pastimes from the mainland.

I believe more of what was taught to the ancients should be brought to the forefront in early days of education, when da keiki can learn the respectful "wholistic" ways of the original people.

Respect of the aina. But not just buzzwords and empty slogans like that which, like many pidgin sayings, have degenerated into nothing more than a t shirt or bumersticker slogan.
                            Why and how tdid the ancients respect the aina? What did they feel about the ocean? How did they show repect? What rituals, concepts, religious and philosophical teachings were disseminated ?

My stepfather's aumakua was the mano, so, I was taught much at an early age about our relationship with the shark. and the water.

The ancient Hawaiians loved and greatly respected the ocean. This was where they lived. their source of food. It was the embodiment of a sacred God to them. And now, to see the wanton thoughtless treatment at all levels, now that this sacred land and its surrounding waters have been taken over, stolen, subdued, destroyed and generally in a daily fashion, shown no respect or reverential treatment as is its due, as it was for hundreds of years past.

It hurts to see firsthand the depressing way things have degenerated. To see tourists walk along the beach fully clothed with shoes on, walking on the shore, throwing their cigarette butts right into the water. Tourists sitting on their aluminum beach chair snubbing their cigarettes out in the sand leaving them as if the whole world is their ash tray or trash can. (They can treat their own home however they want. Litter the 405 or 101 as much as they want. But not our beaches, ocean and land.) To see people allow trash they bring to the beach to wash out into the waves. To witness even our local beachboys and boat crews spit into the ocean. All this breaks the heart of anyone having any connection with our culture or any interest in respecting the ways of the ones who were here before our 'modern civilisation" which is very incivil.

Comment

It hurts to see firsthand the depressing way things have degenerated. To see tourists walk along the beach fully clothed with shoes on, walking on the shore, throwing their cigarette butts right into the water. Tourists sitting on their aluminum beach chair snubbing their cigarettes out in the sand leaving them as if the whole world is their ash tray or trash can. [...] All this breaks the heart of anyone having any connection with the our culture. any interest in respecting the ways of the ones who were here before our 'modern civilisation" which is very incivil.
                              Amen to that last part.
                              And we need to also remember that it's not the tourists who leave abandoned cars and refrigerators and tons of other rubbish along most of the roadsides. Sometimes, even within a few hundred yards of a county dump.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                                we need to remember that it's not the tourists who leave abandoned cars and refrigerators and tons of other rubbish along most of the roadsides. within a few hundred yards of a county dump.

I don't remember anyone blaming tourists for THAT junk!

Comment

Working...
                                X