Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaiian Culture

Originally posted by Miulang
    Strictly O/T, but how your kids turn out is a reflection on the parents and their skills, I think.

Miulang

to a smaller degree than most think.

I subscribe to the concept of individual personal accountability.
    Esp. after the age of cognition.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
      to a smaller degree than most think.

I subscribe to the concept of individual personal accountability.
      Esp. after the age of cognition.
      True, but parents have the responsibility of teaching their kids about choice and consequences and accountability. If parents aren't good role models, how are the kids supposed to know what's right or wrong? Especially if they don't have religion to teach them these things? Don't say the schools should be the primary places where these things are learned, either. Basic morals should be taught at home.

Which leads back to what's happening to Hawai'i and all the opala. I've been to local Maui county beaches where no tourist is likely to venture, and these are the places that have all kinds of beer bottles and cans, garbage and human waste scattered about. The state parks and beaches are generally well maintained and the "nonlocals" tend to be pretty vigilant about picking up after themselves. I think why the dichotomy between the tourists and the locals exists is because the tourists can rightfully blame the locals for some of the opala that's littering beaches and roadsides--such as the abandoned cars and refrigerators that litter the sides of the roads on Maui. Like you say, many locals take what they have for granted and don't even think about a day when many of the things they appreciate today will be gone.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

True, but parents have the responsibility of teaching their kids about choice and consequences and accountability. Miulang
        yes. and the kids do with that what they will.
        some turn out well, some don't. When the kids are young adults, you don't judge the parents.

Comment

yes. and the kids do with that what they will.
          some turn out well, some don't. When the kids are young adults, you don't judge the parents.
          You rememba small keed time how our parents used to say "no bring shame on da family by being kolohe and getting in trouble wit da police?" (At least dat's what my parents used to say). Howcum parents today no enforce someting lidat?

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

You rememba small keed time how our parents used to say "no bring shame on da family by being kolohe and getting in trouble wit da police?" (At least dat's what my parents used to say). Howcum parents today no enforce someting lidat?

Miulang
            I do hope that is a rhetorical question.

Comment

I do hope that is a rhetorical question.
              Yup. which is why I'm not a parent!

Comment

yeah lucky you! I made that mistake 6 times but I guess I still haven't learned...Oh well had fun "learning"

But getting back to opala, it's not just the tourists messing up our beaches, look at what happened to Barber's Point? I don't think tourists have discovered that place yet, but ho boy plenty of locals have and look at the mess over there.

What's sad is even over here when I follow the school buses dropping students off at each corner I always see kids throwing soda bottles out the window. I've phoned the school that bus came from but it still happens.

Remember that old PSA made during the 70's showing the indian walking thru once pristine lands desecrated by progress, the final scene of him standing next to a highway, the camera closes in on his face and a tear comes from his eyes? Maybe a local version should be made depicting the exact same thing.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Remember the local slogan from the 1970s, "Lend a hand to clean our land"? I always thought it was pretty effective. Unfortunately the office that used to sponsor all the anti-littering campaigns was abolished by Ben Cayetano due to budget cuts, so now there's nobody coordinating anti-litter efforts in the state.

Comment

They had this bird that looked like Big Bird's brother or something. I still have that round sticker somewhere, the one you're supposed to put on your rubbish can. The plastic bag that I got when the program came to our elementary school was made so that if you burned it, it would turn to carbon dioxide. So I burned it and guess what, I contributed to global warming now.

Comment

Ok... I think i understand this right. I am a caucasian, which makes me haole. I can make the decision to be a f*&@ing haole by being ignorant to the hawaiian culture. But I can also be a haole from the mainland who has so much respect and aloha for Hawaii that I am there in my mind everyday. I can understand frustration with people who are uneducated therefore disrespectful to Hawaiian people. But when you see me in the water with my tattoo of Na Pali it states "100% haole" on it for a reason. Respect.

Comment

Originally posted by nykkybaby
                        But when you see me in the water with my tattoo of Na Pali it states "100% haole" on it for a reason. Respect.

haole is also a concept, a state of mind, a persona...
                        Someone f.o.b. from L.A. and showing no consideration of the island style and the local ways of doing things, or having no thought of "when in rome..." is a haole. But a caucasian that was raised here and has the local culture firmly and deeply intstilled in them, if they steh local style... they are not haole. They are kama'aina. They are NOT kanaka maoli but they could be considered keiki o ka aina. they MAY be white/caucasian, externally, but that is not even evident to other locals. cuz they exhibit braddah braddah kine ....wot... local feel. internally and in their heart, their koko, their actions, aloha feel, they are local. cannot fake that. so they are not refferred to as 'haole". also cuz they are not a foreigner.
                        Last edited by kimo55; October 17, 2004, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Like I told my Hawaiian friend born and raised in LA: Eh braddah you stay one: Katonka Mahaole not one Kanaka Maoli." Good ting we stay friends so we can joke la dat.

Comment

I was born and raised here in Hawaii. But I look F.O.B haole
                            due to fan I cannot tan. I have been raised to be respectful
                            of local culture.But a lot of times it has been not a two way street as I have been harassed and picked on because of
                            being haole.
                            Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                            The Kona Blog

Comment

yah.. there ain't no perfect place here. Go to the mainland and you'd be called pansy for being respectful.

Comment

Originally posted by kamlost
                                yah.. there ain't no perfect place here. Go to the mainland and you'd be called pansy for being respectful.

good point. On the mainland it is very fashionable, even necessary for survival to:
                                be sardonic and very sarcastic in yer communications.
                                appear as a knowitall.
                                be as profane as possible. all the time.
                                Wear black. and flames. and leather and black leather with flames. and skulls.
                                consider me, me, me, me first and foremost and only .
                                take what ya can get first or you'll be left behind. this action starts on the 101 and the 405. It carries over to most every other aspect of life.
                                Put down all other things you don't;
                                agree with.
                                understand.
                                appears different from your own culture.
                                and if you think you have some affinity to the islands, or "tiki culture", or ukulele, act like only YOU are the only group connected to the islands. act like only YOU own and can disseminate information on yer own knowledge handed to you from the gods on this subject. cuz after all you know if you appear like a king thug you will be respected....

('least that's the way it appears, generally. OB-viously there are exceptions to this rule.)
                                Last edited by kimo55; October 18, 2004, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X