Stories of good Haoles of HI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stories of good Haoles of HI

This seems like a horribly self-concious thread...

I mean sheesh... Hawaii isn't THAT racist, guy. I'm one inch shy of being a six foot tall blonde and I grew up in Hawaii. Even I'VE got hanai. Its about good people, which I think most people in Hawaii are no matter what race they are. And if you're good to people, you'll fit in. You can have the best, most loyal and true friends of any kind...japanese, haole, filipino, hawaiian, chinese, samoan, combination plate, whatever...even if you glow in the dark 2 feet taller than everyone like I do. hehe Ok, I'm not quite that bad, but close!

Anyway, this thread seems like a desparate attempt to shout, "There are some good haoles in this world right? So maybe I'm one of them eh guys?" I mean, yeah. Even during the overthrow there were plenty mainland haoles who thought what those bastards did was completely wrong and supported restoration to the Hawaiian people. So?

I think this may be the most racist thread I've seen on here, based on its initial post... I agree, what about stories about good people of all other races too? Or how about this? How about stories of good PEOPLE of Hawaii? Forget race entirely. Or is this a haole affirmative action where you have to pick the story about the best white person instead of just the best person?
    Haolewaiian Girl
    >~~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~<

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
      Haoles are people too.
      Where were you when I was in junior high? LOL
      Haolewaiian Girl

Comment

Originally posted by HaolewaiianGirl
        This seems like a horribly self-concious thread...

I mean sheesh... Hawaii isn't THAT racist, guy. I'm one inch shy of being a six foot tall blonde and I grew up in Hawaii. Even I'VE got hanai. Its about good people, which I think most people in Hawaii are no matter what race they are. And if you're good to people, you'll fit in. You can have the best, most loyal and true friends of any kind...japanese, haole, filipino, hawaiian, chinese, samoan, combination plate, whatever...even if you glow in the dark 2 feet taller than everyone like I do. hehe Ok, I'm not quite that bad, but close!

Anyway, this thread seems like a desparate attempt to shout, "There are some good haoles in this world right? So maybe I'm one of them eh guys?" I mean, yeah. Even during the overthrow there were plenty mainland haoles who thought what those bastards did was completely wrong and supported restoration to the Hawaiian people. So?

I think this may be the most racist thread I've seen on here, based on its initial post... I agree, what about stories about good people of all other races too? Or how about this? How about stories of good PEOPLE of Hawaii? Forget race entirely. Or is this a haole affirmative action where you have to pick the story about the best white person instead of just the best person?

lol wow what a slam,I love the intranet for the free exchange of thoughts and ideas so if my post seems racest or desparate,self-concious they were my thoughts at the time so thank goodness for places like this so people can learn from one another without fear of not being accepted by the masses
        Last edited by Fondoo2; August 31, 2005, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fondoo
          lol wow what a slam,I love the intranet for the free exchange of thoughts and ideas so if my post seems racest or desparate,self-concious they were my thoughts at the time so thank goodness for places like this so people can learn from one another without fear of acceptance by the masses
          Without fear of acceptance?

Comment

he he I doubt my hopeless spelling/grammar will improve till I'm helping my Lill one with her homework

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
              Without fear of acceptance?
              lol that may have been a Freudian slip because I believe being accepted by the masses is pretty scary in this TV generation

Comment

lol wow what a slam,I love the intranet for the free exchange of thoughts and ideas so if my post seems racest or desparate,self-concious they were my thoughts at the time so thank goodness for places like this so people can learn from one another without fear of not being accepted by the masses
                That is true. Although you didn't answer my questions... which is also your right I guess.

I have noticed your self-conciousness in other threads too. On a friendlier note, and racism aside, I don't think you should worry so much about being well-recieved. Your lack of confidence is what sets you apart, nothing else I've noticed. You seem cool otherwise. And I'm sorry, sometimes I come off like a bull in a china cabinet, but this thread is one of the best ways I can think of to alienate as many people as I can think of. There are probably nicer ways to gain reassurance that its ok to be haole sometimes. Ya know?
                Haolewaiian Girl

Comment

That is true. Although you didn't answer my questions... which is also your right I guess.

I have noticed your self-conciousness in other threads too. On a friendlier note, and racism aside, I don't think you should worry so much about being well-recieved. Your lack of confidence is what sets you apart, nothing else I've noticed. You seem cool otherwise. And I'm sorry, sometimes I come off like a bull in a china cabinet, but this thread is one of the best ways I can think of to alienate as many people as I can think of. There are probably nicer ways to gain reassurance that its ok to be haole sometimes. Ya know?
                  he he I think what apears to be a lack of confidence is to me a sighn of personel growth.It's when I think I know whats right or wrong fact or fiction I get dangerous. My post was a simple matter of my heart and thoughts at the time so being better or different may not have been possible for me.Thank you for the gentler response HaolewaiianGirl

Oh at the time I thought Haole ment white but another member informed me it means born off island and not adjusting to Island ways when they visit/move to the Islands,I think I have that right,anyway that may have been why it seemed racest,because of my misunderstanding of the word I had been seeing used so much here
                  Last edited by Fondoo2; August 31, 2005, 07:50 PM.

Comment

"intranet"
                    "Bull in a china cabinet"
                    I luvvv it! HT's own lingo!

Comment

Oh at the time I thought Haole ment white but another member informed me it means born off island and not adjusting to Island ways when they visit/move to the Islands,I think I have that right,anyway that may have been why it seemed racest,because of my misunderstanding of the word I had been seeing used so much here
                      Er, no; it does mean white. At least, that's the common meaning these days. It originally meant foreign. See this thread for a tedious and argumentative discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                        Er, no; it does mean white. At least, that's the common meaning these days. It originally meant foreign. See this thread for a tedious and argumentative discussion.
                        LOL! See I never should asume I know ANYTHING! Really the post was more to have fun than any deep feelings in the matter.But I am thankfull for the knowledge I have gained at HT and if I ever get a "vibe" from a local who I have not earned it from personely I now can have more empathy from where it may be comming from.

Comment

Actually lots of people think haole means visitor or foreigner. The truest translation of haole is "without breath" without meaning in one's words, but the word for breath is the same as the word for spirit so it can also mean "soulless". Its pretty harsh, but at the time, well deserved. The first haoles to the islands brought viruses and std's among other things. Conversion of the heathens and disrespect of the gods and goddesses. The whites pretty much trampled the hawaiian way of life from the get-go. And that was long before those sea-cowboys came and pointed their cannons at the Queen for the overthrow.

And that's our history lesson for today. *stumbles off her podium*
                          Haolewaiian Girl

Comment

The truest translation of haole is "without breath"

nope.

actually, there is no such thing as
                            "truest"
                            really.
                            go thru the past threads. You will see.

Comment

Actually lots of people think haole means visitor or foreigner. The truest translation of haole is "without breath" without meaning in one's words, but the word for breath is the same as the word for spirit so it can also mean "soulless". Its pretty harsh, but at the time, well deserved. The first haoles to the islands brought viruses and std's among other things. Conversion of the heathens and disrespect of the gods and goddesses. The whites pretty much trampled the hawaiian way of life from the get-go. And that was long before those sea-cowboys came and pointed their cannons at the Queen for the overthrow.

And that's our history lesson for today. *stumbles off her podium*
                              Zowee thx HG

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                                nope.

actually, there is no such thing as
                                "truest"
                                really.
                                go thru the past threads. You will see.
                                How about truthfullestness? That sounds about right.
                                Haolewaiian Girl

Comment

Working...
                                X