Re: Local Jokes and Humor of Hawaii

All of these are pretty funny
        backwoodlessons2

Comment

wot. those two smilies?!

Comment

This filipino guy got assaulted last night in Aala Park by a large negro man.

Police quickly apprehended and arrested the suspect who would not stop yelling and screaming "Yo man he called me a "Black Bastard"!!!!"

The Police then asked the filipino man why he thought the black man had assaulted him. The little filipino man began to explain "I do not know, he ask me which way to Riber Street, I only tell him he is One Black Past it"
            GO WARRIORS!!

Comment

Originally posted by backwoodlessons2
              All of these are pretty funny
              This one's the office favorite..

Heard this one on the radio a while ago...

What do you call a mahu Filipino who has a Greek lover? Baklava
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by aloha-anon

Police quickly apprehended and arrested the suspect who would not stop yelling and screaming "Yo man he called me a "Black Bastard"!!!!"

The Police then asked the filipino man why he thought the black man had assaulted him. The little filipino man began to explain "I do not know, he ask me which way to Riber Street, I only tell him he is One Black Past it"

Good one! LOL Worth some gum but onee can give you one!
                ~Lika

\\000// Malama Pono \\000//

Comment

Dzuner :: Uncle ton , what do you think about the government raising the price for higher education??

Uncle ton :: Lanya boy? you have to pay for G.E.D.?
                  Ebb And Flow

Comment

Originally posted by aloha-anon
                    knee grow.
                    hmmm
                    who else sez dat anymore?

Comment

theres a column in marine drive magazine about filipino words.. its pretty funny. i only remember a few. beefstew and donut..

your beeper beeps? mine beefstew! (beeps too)
                      i told you LeA donut pull your sisters hair!

nEEdless to say , these jokes suck.
                      Ebb And Flow

Comment

Mo'bookbook jokes:

- What you call one filipino who walks his dog? A vegetarian
                        - What you call one filipino who walks 5 dogs? A rancher
                        - What do you call a couple of filipino pilots? A pair of pliers
                        - If I'm a book-book, what you call my kids? Booklets
                        - If one book-book marry one black person, what are the kids? Color Book
                        - What do you call a filipino origami maker? Manila folder

~Lika

\\000// Malama Pono \\000//

Comment

Stand Up for the Plantation Cultures

Originally posted by newroots
                          theres a column in marine drive magazine about filipino words.. its pretty funny. i only remember a few. beefstew and donut..

your beeper beeps? mine beefstew! (beeps too)
                          i told you LeA donut pull your sisters hair!

nEEdless to say , these jokes suck.
                          Funny you say that (paradox intended).

Been waiting for exactly this kind of comment, because it touches base on humor and comedy and the demographics of the audience it's intended for.

Jeff Foxworthy's "So you think you're a redneck" pokes fun at the stereotype of the a southern "redneck". Why he's able to market that comedy on a national level is because it's applicable and comprehendible to every part of the country. People can say where they live, "Oh we have our own 'Rednecks' so-to-speak, so THAT'S FUNNY! I can relate".

On the other hand, if Augie T. or Gregg Hammer were to go on a national comedy circuit and tell Filipino jokes such as "Beef Stew" (beeps too), it just wouldn't work. Audiences who haven't been exposed to the Filipino culture would never know why on earth that would be humorous.

Andy Bumatai toured the national stand-up circuit (VH-1, Evening at the Improv to name a few). He was successful at it because he mostly presented a different gig than his Hawaii material. If he did drop in a few local jokes, it was explained completely. Similar to how Frank DeLima does for tourists at his current Waikiki show.

One of the core subjects in local humor of Hawaii is the LANGUAGE of each culture and the English accents that evolve from it.

In comedy, I like to refer to Hawaii's familiar cultures as "Plantation Cultures". Chinese, Japanese, Portuguese, Filipino, Samoan, Hawaiian, Haole (Caucasions), Korean, Vietnamese, Mexican (Hispanics), in no particular order. Not to present a formal history to any one of these, but as those that are most commonly brought up in local comedy.

While these "Plantation Culture" ethnic groups are not exclusive only to Hawaii, it would be safe to say most of them aren't as understood or exposed to society in other states as they are here. Well, Haoles and Mexicans yes, but on a different level of respect.

Personally, I grew up with all these "Plantation Culture" groups. Ate their foods, stayed in their homes. Became good friends and coworkers with ALL of them.

That said, the "Beef Stew" joke is pretty darn' funny to me!
                          Last edited by Pomai; October 22, 2005, 08:34 AM. Reason: Clarification
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Re: Stand Up for the Plantation Cultures

Originally posted by Pomai
                            On the other hand, if Augie T. or Gregg Hammer were to go on a national comedy circuit and tell Filipino jokes such as "Beef Stew" (beeps too), it just wouldn't work.
                            I dunno.
                            California fer example, is much like many states; seems to be such a melting pot of so many races, caucasian is more and more a minority, the 'mistaken for similar sounding words' humor is getting to be fairly universal.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                              wot. those two smilies?!
                              'cause I thought all of the other jokes were funny!
                              backwoodlessons2

Comment

Had one Hawaiian, Japanee, and Portagee. So they all stey crossing this farmer's land at night. The Hawaiian go first and knocks over a can and hides behind a cow, and da farmer comes out - "Who's there?!". Da Hawaiian goes "MOOO", so da farmer goes back in his house. Soon da Japanee decides he going too, but he
                                knocks over a can and again da farmer came out and asked who was there, and da Japanee says "BAA" since he wen hide behind one goat. Again da farmer go back inside. Seeing how da hawaiian and Japanee made um, da Portagee decide dat he get his one down too. He go for cross the yard and knock over one can. Da Farmer comes out again and asks "Who's there?!!".
                                "POOTAAATOOOE"
                                CrAcK KiLLs....SmAcK A CrAcKA!!

Comment

Working...
                                X