This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Filipino's trying to be Hawaiian

I tell people that I'm Hawaiian....and I'm Haole. It's just the same as being American....that's where 'home' is.

(says me, living in France, with my German Passport)
    Last edited by SusieMisajon; June 22, 2006, 09:10 PM.
    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by i-hungry
      I think the sales rep was kind of flirting with me on the phone.
      you THINK.... the phone rep was... KIND OF... flirting.
      that's not enuff to even mention.

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon
        I tell people that I'm Hawaiian....and I'm Haole. It's just the same as being American....that's where 'home' is.

(says me, living in France, with my German Passport)

I wouldn't say that because me of Japanese ethnicity, I wouldn't move to France and call myself a Frenchman. That's very improper, just like calling yourself a Hawaiian simply because it's where you're from.

You wouldn't dare call yourself an Indian if you're from Indiana would you? Or an Eskimo if you were living in Alaska? Hawaiians are an indiginent race of people just like any ethnic group. But ethnically you are not so you cannot call yourself that way. It's improper and ethnically immoral to do so unless you do have an ounce of Hawaiian blood in your lineage.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
          I wouldn't say that because me of Japanese ethnicity, I wouldn't move to France and call myself a Frenchman. That's very improper, just like calling yourself a Hawaiian simply because it's where you're from.

You wouldn't dare call yourself an Indian if you're from Indiana would you? Or an Eskimo if you were living in Alaska? Hawaiians are an indiginent race of people just like any ethnic group. But ethnically you are not so you cannot call yourself that way. It's improper and ethnically immoral to do so unless you do have an ounce of Hawaiian blood in your lineage.
          There's some ambiguity here. A person of whatever ethnicity living in Alaska can call themselvs an Alaskan but not an Innuit or Eskimo. However a non Kanaka Maoli person living in Hawaii cannot call themselves a Hawaiian? Did the Kanaka Maoli of old ever call themselves Hawaiian? I doubt it, yet they have come to coopt the name to mean only them. The Innuit of Alaska called it Alyeska but they have not reserved Alaskan to mean only them.

Comment

Well here's the litmus test...go to any Kanaka Maoli and tell them you haven't an ounce of Hawaiian blood in you, and boldly say to them, "I'm Hawaiian" and let's see how far you can run before that statement get's you into trouble.

I chose the wrong description (my ignorance) when I mentioned Eskimo's however I stand by my statements that you don't dare call yourself Hawaiian unless you actually are one. That's very ignorant and very disrespectful for the people who rightfully are.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
              Well here's the litmus test...go to any Kanaka Maoli and tell them you haven't an ounce of Hawaiian blood in you, and boldly say to them, "I'm Hawaiian" and let's see how far you can run before that statement get's you into trouble.

I chose the wrong description (my ignorance) when I mentioned Eskimo's however I stand by my statements that you don't dare call yourself Hawaiian unless you actually are one. That's very ignorant and very disrespectful for the people who rightfully are.
              Hey that's why I said they have coopted the name to mean just them. Co-opt, to take or assume for one's own use. The Innuit have not done the same. I don't think they would be offended if a non-Innuit residents of Alaska called themselvs Alaskans. The same thing applies to the other states where the name was derived from the original native inhabitants such as the Dakotas and Kentucky. The rightful name of the indigenous people of Hawai'i is Kanaka Maoli not Hawaiians. That's really a haole word.

Comment

Sorry...I graduated from Kalani go check out my post on you know you local

Comment

An Texans? Californians? Oregonians? Londoners?

There is a big diffence in the two kinds of 'Hawaiians'. Perhaps it might soon be PC to say 'I'm a Hawaiian' or 'I am of Hawaiian blood'. Thay way, everyone can be proud of being Hawaiian.

Comment

In my job I interview many mainland businessfolk who are coming to Hawaii to do business.

I correct them when they say something that makes it clear that they view anyone who lives in Hawaii or is from Hawaii as Hawaiian -- just like someone from Minnesota would be a Minnesotan. I was born in Minnesota, but don't consider myself Minnesotan. I lived there all of 10 months, but that's not the point.

I counsel/try to educate these mainland people so they don't shoot themselves in the foot/feet in their local business dealings. I can think of nothing, short of calling local residents "natives" (or worse), that would make their cultural cluelessness and insensitivity more obvious. I see it as a service, not just to the people I'm interviewing, but to those who might otherwise have been offended, had the business-person NOT been informed of the distinction between a Hawaii resident and a Hawaiian.

Is a white person or a person of another color "Japanese" because they live in Japan? I don't think so.

I'm absolutely LOCAL -- but I'm not kanaka maoli. I have lived in Hawaii most of my life and would NEVER PRESUME to call myself Hawaiian just because I live here.

That would be incredibly disrespectful to my friends and others who have blood quantum (any percentage).
                    Last edited by Erika Engle; June 24, 2006, 10:48 AM. Reason: Additional point
                    I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle
                      I can think of nothing, short of calling local residents "natives" (or worse), that would make their cultural cluelessness and insensitivity more obvious.
                      http://www.barefootnatives.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle
                        I correct them when they say something that makes it clear that they view anyone who lives in Hawaii or is from Hawaii as Hawaiian
                        don't understand the un-thought out perspective many have of islanders.
                        some think we live all live in grass shacks.
                        others think we use clams for currency.

I am English, Irish, Scottish, Welsh, German and some kinda American indian. Spent most all my life here. (so far. ain't dead yet.) I learned much from my two respective Hawaiian stepfathers over the decades. But of course, neither would I... call myself "Hawaiian".
                        ...although kupuna have said; "Kimo, NEVER call yourself 'haole' "

Uncle Charlie:
                        http://www.moolelo.com/genealogy-letter.html
                        Last edited by kimo55; June 24, 2006, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Okay, then....in Hawaii, you can maybe call yourself 'local'...but it seems silly if you are Haole, local is local...not Haole or Popolo, or ...

If you live away from the islands, 'local' won't work.

So den....anyone have any ideas? Both for home and away?

Comment

Although I totally agree that someone lacking Hawaiian blood should not pass themselves off as Hawaiian I've got a question about European culture. So far examples such as Japan have been put forth but there are plenty of citizens of African heritage residing in France, Germany, England, Sweden, etc... that are considered to be English or German... Maybe their ancenstors weren't reared on the Eurasian continent but the European cultures have assimilated them as just another Frenchmen. Now do you think this is strictly just citizenship, because at international sporting events, i.e. World Cup, the athletes of different ethnicities have European names and seem to be supported as members of the society the play for? Granted they techniqually are descended from Africa in said example, but still techniqually we all are. Just curious as to what peoples takes are on this. Also anyone read the national geographic article on human migration out of the Great Rift Valley? Pretty cool, it shows a pretty tight knit human family. Just goes to show you gene coding for outer appearance is negligent.

While responding, please don't cite the riots in France.
                            "Hey fool, we gots yo leada!"
                            "But I can't even read good."
                            "Whatever that means, you ____ peasant."
                            "That (stuff) is the MOST BALLER THING EVAAA!!!!"

Comment

hey. how 'bout them riots in France.
                              Originally posted by Whitepoint3rchum
                              Although I totally agree that someone lacking Hawaiian blood should not pass themselves off as Hawaiian I've got a question about European culture.
                              for that, go to EuropeanThreads.com

Comment

Lol, I have to say I thought a sarcastic response would just elicit disdain from me but it actually caused me to crack a smile
                                "Hey fool, we gots yo leada!"
                                "But I can't even read good."
                                "Whatever that means, you ____ peasant."
                                "That (stuff) is the MOST BALLER THING EVAAA!!!!"

Comment

Working...
                                X