This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Filipino's trying to be Hawaiian

Glen! what are you doing looking at a VS catalog I like see too!

As a former photograper, I used to do portfolio work for aspiring models here in Hawaii. Some of my best models were young Filipina. Body wise they have the best proportions for their petite height. Here in Hawaii we have more women that fit into that catagory...yet not all are proportional. For some women, they may be short, but they may be small-breasted or have what we call in Hawaii: Kamaboko legs.

But young Filipino women are like miniature women under 5'4" tall. Except for their feet. For some reason ho boy dakine luau feet dem buggahs.

Anyway Suzie...I think you're a nice person but people born and raised here in Hawaii from different and even mixed ethnicity call themselves local because that's what we are. I've never been to Japan yet I'm 100% Japanese. Am I proud of my ethnicity? No way. I don't speak the language, I don't ever want to learn it. I hate the Japanese "Honor System" it's so prejudiced and narrow minded when it comes to the needs and respect of others. I hate their "Yes means No, No means Yes" attitude where you gotta read their friggin minds as to what they really want.

With that said, under who's authority am I to say these things? Mine because I was raised in a strict Japanese Household under traditional Japanese parents whose parents came from Japan. The Sansei are the last generation of Hawaii born Japanese that have any of the traditional Japanese disciplines of the Old World. And I hate it! I vowed never to raise my kids that way just to break that stupid way of life forever.

But here I am a full-blooded Japanese living in Hawaii...just like a lot of us here who have adopted Hawaii as it's home and it's culture. Not Hawaiian or Kanaka Maoli culture, but the culture that exists during our lifetime as we grew up here in this blended lifestyle we call "local". A little bit of everything that works when combined to form a local style culture.

Yeah I use a bit of Japanese here like eating rice, taking off my slippers before entering a home, taking a bath BEFORE going to bed. But if you tell me, "no thanks you can have the last beer in the cooler" I'll drink it instead of waiting forever for you to finally take the offer. A true Japanese would be offended if they said no but didn't give it to them anyway, because a true Japanese was really thinking, "Craig offered the beer to me but my parents always told me not to take the last portion, so I'll say no, but because he's Japanese too, he'll actually give it to me anyway because his parents told him to always give despite the refusal because that's what a proper host does."

Honorable yes but Western culture dictates that NO means just that...NO! And you wonder why we have such problems with East and West. But here in Hawaii East does meet West and thru the generations we have learned to understand and appreciate each other's cultures and adapt it to form a workable culture we in Hawaii call: LOCAL. It doesn't work outside Hawaii because this is a culture that can only be applied to Hawaii because of it's diversity. This kind of mix cannnot be found anywhere else in the US or the world.

And the one BIG no no is for a non-Hawaiian to call themselves Hawaiian. All locals know and respect that. You ain't local if you cannot see that distinction that locals give to Hawaiians.

Notice I never said Kanaka Maoli? Why because I've been told the term Kanaka Maoli is reserved for the pure or full-blooded Hawaiian no one else.

Being Japanese has made for even more distorted conversations to my ignorant mainland friends. They tell me I'm Japanese so I must be from Japan. No I tell them I'm from the United States of America. They respond but you said you were from Hawaii. Yes just as you are from Idaho. So that makes you Hawaiian? No I'm from Hawaii. But you said you were from the United States? Yes Hawaii is the 50th state.

So then what are you? I'm a United States Citizen that is local from Hawaii of Japanese descent but I've never been to Japan, can't speak the language, and quite frankly I'd rather be Hawaiian just to end this conversation. Mahalo!
    Last edited by craigwatanabe; June 26, 2006, 10:20 AM.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

All this makes me wonder how much haole blood before you ain't local or Hawaiian? Don't this just suck?
      “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
      http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
        Glen! what are you doing looking at a VS catalog I like see too!
        They sent 'em to me, that's why. Beats me how my name got on their mailing list.

Comment

ummm...because you ordered something from it? Okay Glen what pair you secretly wearing now...the black microfiber thong with the heart cutout or the red nylon/lycra one with the keyhole cutout...and matching demi underwire bra!

Comment

You know way too much technical lingerie terminology, man. Guys aren't supposed to know that much about those details, we're just supposed to appreciate how great it looks on our honeys.

Comment

Okay, all of you...underwear aside...why is Alice going on about Filipinos trying to get away with being Hawaiian? It seems to me that that isn't really the problem....Filipino ex-pats say 'Hawaiian' because it's easier to do so, on the mainland....an dat's all it is. Nothing to do with lack of respect for 'blood' Hawaiians.

When I am away from Hawaii, I say that I am Hawaiian...saves confusion, especially over here, where most people don't even know where Hawaii is. When I am at home, I am very obviously a 'local Haole'. Easy-peasy. Like someone said to me, once, "You only look Haole".

So...Alice...tell, how come you no like Filipinos?
              http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
              http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon
                When I am away from Hawaii, I say that I am Hawaiian...saves confusion, especially over here, where most people don't even know where Hawaii is. When I am at home, I am very obviously a 'local Haole'. Easy-peasy. Like someone said to me, once, "You only look Haole".
                So you're haole but tell French people you're Hawaiian to save confusion? Swell.
                “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin
                  So you're haole but tell French people you're Hawaiian to save confusion? Swell.
                  Funny kine, huh? The French have no idea...most don't know where Hawaii is, or even that it's part of the US.

Which is good for me, cause they don't know Bush is the boss, too, over in Hawaii. I no like be lynched!

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin
                    Put yourself in my shoes for a minute, will ya? At least I never (well, that's one other story) tell my Mom is German an my Dad is Waialua Filipino!

Comment

When you say it's nothing to do with respect...saying you're Hawaiian because it's easier than to say what you really are, is a great disrespect to all Hawaiians. Being a pure blood Swede living in Japan doesn't make you Japanese but you would say that would you? It makes you a Swede living in Japan.

If you wanna start talking PC then let's get real here, Hawaiians are a race just like Germans, just like Chinese, just like whatever you are...but to say you are out of convenience even though you aren't, is disrespectful to any race...the word "Poser" comes to mind. Like guys who put ///M badges on their BMW 528E cars. It ain't no M5..

The sad thing about posers is that they're only fooling themselves. Everyone who really are...know the poser isn't. In other words you offend those who know and the ones that don't know could care less. You lose on both counts. It's self-righteous and immoral.

I'm sorry you're not Hawaiian simply because you lived there. It's not the same as California.

Comment

Are Hawaiians really a race? I thought they were part of the Polynesian race and they are the same race as Tahitians, Samoans and the Maori of New Zealand among others.

Comment

Funny kine, huh? The French have no idea...most don't know where Hawaii is, or even that it's part of the US.
                          C'mon. The French grasp what it means to be ethnically Polynesian. Remember, they stole Tahiti et al.

on edit: You are correct Paul. Technically Germans aren't a race either but the term race is fast losing any practical meaning.
                          Last edited by sinjin; June 26, 2006, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Put yourself in my shoes for a minute, will ya? At least I never (well, that's one other story) tell my Mom is German an my Dad is Waialua Filipino!

That makes you Filipino/German I don't see any Hawaiian in there at all. My wife is Hawaiian, Japanese, Portuguese, Korean, German, Irish. Physically it comes out looking Filipino (for some strange reason) but I don't call her Alaskan (and she did live there for a while).

It just doesn't make any sense to call yourself one race when you don't have an ounce of that race within you. You live in France but if you're German/Filipino, don't dare tell a Frenchman you're French too. Right?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul
                              Are Hawaiians really a race? I thought they were part of the Polynesian race and they are the same race as Tahitians, Samoans and the Maori of New Zealand among others.

Yes they are a race. If you take it back that far then we are all one race then...well two God's race and Darwin's race.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                                If you take it back that far then we are all one race then...well two God's race and Darwin's race.
                                I thought mine was "rat," or is that just applicable during the workday?

Comment

Working...
                                X