Input Please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Input Please?

OK, so I don't know all the perfect language for it yet but this was my thought:

She would be a girl that was born in Hawaii to a full Hawaiian mother and a full Caucasian father. She would bear a Hawaiian name given to her at birth by her grandmother on her mother’s side, who will have dreamt the name right before the girl’s birth. Her family will move from the area to Texas before the girl is six.

Please enlighten as to what she would be considered? Would she be considered a Haole if she came back to the islands because she is half Caucasian and lived away most her life?

This is quite interesting to me. Where I am I am not used to having to be so PC about what ethnicity I am (or am not). Can I assume that every topic is this complicated? It does seem so, from the research I've done so far.

Thanks again and I will check out the HSM information too.
    Last edited by HawaiiDreamer; January 2, 2006, 03:45 PM.

Comment

looks like the thread on hawaii.com;
      the book is beginning to be written by others, not the author.

Comment

Originally posted by HawaiiDreamer
        OK, so I don't know all the perfect language for it yet but this was my thought:

She would be a girl that was born in Hawaii to a full Hawaiian mother and a full Caucasian father. She would bear a Hawaiian name given to her at birth by her grandmother on her mother’s side, who will have dreamt the name right before the girl’s birth. Her family will move from the area to Texas before the girl is six.

Please enlighten as to what she would be considered? Would she be considered a Haole if she came back to the islands because she is half Caucasian and lived away most her life?
        No disrespect ~ but sounds like I read this book but I can't remember the authors name, one of the stories was called "Kona" I think? Sorry, CRS Disease. (can't remember shit) Was the author's name Sinclair or St Claire. I'm sorry I read the books a long time ago and the books were written in the 40's or 50's & I read it da 70's and there was 2 or three books written. Maybe somebody else will rememba.....

KKK ~ I just came back from amazon.com: Da book is:

KONA: The story of two generations by Marjorie Sinclair.

I not shua but I tink dis da story da one get one neighbor or or ada hapa kid, and da NT or tutu or somebody no like da girl "mess" around wit'em. Wen I read dat ~ automatic I tawt, "ai az da bruhdah" and YEAH turn out he was hanai and you know how dose stories go..... I tink az part of dis story or one of Marjorie Sinclairs stories.

Oh so solly I gave away da "juicy" part ~ but like you guyz was going read da book?
        Last edited by GypsyLika; January 2, 2006, 04:00 PM.
        ~Lika

\\000// Malama Pono \\000//

Comment

Okay, I won't impart any more of my book here if you feel that way Kimo. I am fine with keeping my words to myself and just getting general input.

Also, I just read the thread on Hawaii.com and I see what you mean. That guy is from Michigan and writing a factual book such as a "guide to hawaii". That does seem sort of silly and out of line to me. I wouldn't try to write a factual book such as a guide if I had never visited or been to the location I was trying to write it about.

P.S. Really Lika? LOL that was all from my head and I don't think I've ever read a book like that but I'll check it out. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by HawaiiDreamer

This is quite interesting to me. Where I am I am not used to having to be so PC about what ethnicity I am (or am not). Can I assume that every topic is this complicated? It does seem so, from the research I've done so far.

Thanks again and I will check out the HSM information too.
            Well, for one thing, it would be fairly rare to find a full blooded kanaka maoli these days (unless that person came from Niihau). Thanks to a century of migration to work in the sugar cane fields, many kanaka maoli also are part Japanese, Portuguese, Filipino, or Chinese. Read about Kamehameha Schools and the blood quantum proof required for admission.

A person who is Caucasian plus any other ethnic heritage who is born in Hawai'i is called "hapa haole". Hapa haoles do well in Hawai'i, but in places on the US mainland, they often have difficulty assimilating because they don't look like any one identifiable race. And my guess is they would definitely have problems in Texas. They would probably be identified as being Hispanic (I think many Texans believe if you're not Caucasian, you MUST be Hispanic).

Miulang

P.S. There was a haole woman writer who grew up on Maui (her name was Armine von Tempsky, from the very famous von Tempsky ranch family) who wrote several books about growing up in Hawai'i. One of her most famous books is called "Born in Paradise":

"...The autobiographical tale of childhood on a Maui ranch in the early part of this century. A classic account of old Hawaii, warm-spirited and evocative. Von Temski depicts in vivid detail the daily routines, traditions and strikingly polygot people of her youth. (HWI21, $14.95) "

It's still in print, so if you can get your hands on a copy, it would probably give you a really good idea of what your heroine's mother would remember about being in Hawai'i.
            Last edited by Miulang; January 2, 2006, 04:10 PM.
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Ermm....yer mixin in nuage plastic shameon-ism with the naming thing.

A name isn't just 'dreamed' up, for Kanakas nor Ndns.

Comment

ah, Miu is being her usual helpful self and da island sytyle is kokua all da way, but da momentum not goin stop and den all of a sudden, confonnit; the online community has written da dag blasted t'ing.
                besides; even a novel should be based on real stuffs from insai.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                  Well, for one thing, it would be fairly rare to find a full blooded kanaka maoli these days (unless that person came from Niihau). Thanks to a century of migration to work in the sugar cane fields, many kanaka maoli also are part Japanese, Portuguese, Filipino, or Chinese. Read about Kamehameha Schools and the blood quantum proof required for admission.

A person who is Caucasian plus any other ethnic heritage who is born in Hawai'i is called "hapa haole". Hapa haoles do well in Hawai'i, but in places on the US mainland, they often have difficulty assimilating because they don't look like any one identifiable race. And my guess is they would definitely have problems in Texas. They would probably be identified as being Hispanic (I think many Texans believe if you're not Caucasian, you MUST be Hispanic).

Miulang
                  Yup!! You got that right! I was stationed in Texas...I got 'shadowed' in so many stores by the clerks you would think I had my mug on a wanted poster.

Comment

K- so I am looking up the dream thing. I thought that was the proper thing, based off of a couple of sources but then I could be totally off base of course. Isn't it bad luck to name the child early and an elder should name it?

Anyway, you all are generous and I appreciate that. I will not ask you to write for me or keep putting my ideas up so they can be assimilated. I really wasn't looking for that.

Dreamer

Comment

oh no, of COURSE not.

Comment

Originally posted by GypsyLika
                        KKK ~ I just came back from amazon.com: Da book is:

KONA: The story of two generations by Marjorie Sinclair.

I not shua but I tink dis da story da one get one neighbor or or ada hapa kid, and da NT or tutu or somebody no like da girl "mess" around wit'em. Wen I read dat ~ automatic I tawt, "ai az da bruhdah" and YEAH turn out he was hanai and you know how dose stories go..... I tink az part of dis story or one of Marjorie Sinclairs stories.

Oh so solly I gave away da "juicy" part ~ but like you guyz was going read da book?
                        AKK!!!

That sounds like my cuz there!

He's a 50%er... got taken away from his mom at three (he's sixty-one now) and was put in St Vincent's in Detroit and was later fostered out to a woman here. He was a 'home boy' rather than a 'field boy' (the kids fostered out to farmers in the area for basicly slave labor) so he had it better. He married my cousin (her mom was none to happy 'cause he had no family) he's been looking for the rest of his sibs for a long time. He found out he was Hawaiian only about three to four years ago 'cause he had to force the opening of his records to find out where to get his birth certificate so he could get his retirement....it's way complicated what he found too.

Comment

One of the BEST books I have ever read about the early history of Hawai'i (through annexation) is "Hawai'i's Story" by Queen Lili'uokalani. After you read that book, you cannot help but be outraged by the overthrow of the monarchy.

Miulang
                          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Peshkwe
                            ....He found out he was Hawaiian only about three to four years ago 'cause he had to force the opening of his records to find out where to get his birth certificate so he could get his retirement....it's way complicated what he found too.
                            now, THERE is a novel.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                              After you read that book, you cannot help but be outraged by the overthrow of the monarchy.
                              I am outraged now, and I haven't read it yet.
                              (It is an outrage that i haven't read it.)

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                                now, THERE is a novel.
                                He even got the paperwork to apply for Homstead lands. He doesn't want it though 'cause he said he didn't want to take away from someone else who might need it more and he didn't want to leave all his kids (they adopted five and fostered a bunch more) and the rest of the family. We were the only ones who gave him the time of day 'cause he definatly looks mixed...or did...now with the lupus he just looks kinda greyish at times.

Comment

Working...
                                X