Input Please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Input Please?

Then, again, a local entertainer back in the '60s who took as his stage name, LANI KAI.

Comment

HawaiiDreamer,

This may seem rude (not my intention), but truthful as far as I see it:

Similar to what MadAzza had said, how can you write accurately about Hawaiian culture when you have never witnessed it in person? You speak of the knowledge you collected through books, internet sources, contacts, etc...as if this collective knowledge would even be close to encompassing what's needed for an accurate (and therefore, respectful) portrayal of your setting/character development/plot line.

Even in Hawai'i, there are many misrepresentations/misconceptions of Hawaiian culture (especially on O'ahu), and some are even by born and raised locals who don't know better...they just repeat what's in the local media (most don't even pronounce Hawai'i correctly, and they live here.)

Take courses at U.H., in person. Also, learn about the modern cultural issues (much more important than the overthrow, I think.)

Or, if you really want to know about the culture (and I hope you do, as your book will contain facets of it), go to Moloka'i, and speak to kupuna. Learn through dialog. Books are limited in scope. Not everyone has computers...and the ones who don't are usually the best ones to speak to, as they live the culture, and don't have a need for computers. I mean, when was the last time you saw someone use MS Win to spear a fish.

Approach them in a humble manner (you seem cool...don't think this will be a problem for you)...but don't get angry or demanding if they are not willing to help or if they demonize the idea, as they really owe you nothing and the culture has been used for profit many times before, and many are already sick to the bone of it (Hilton 'Hawaiian', anyone.)

I myself have maybe half koko, but because of the level of cultural disconnect I already had, even I was barely told certain things by kupuna (they needed to know they could trust me, and not exploit the knowledge I was given.)

For example, many who share the info don't want anyone selling info. (as a consultant) to resort marketers/designers to build an authentic Hawaiian hotel for resort guests...all the while...just building the resort there could be destroying native-plant ecosystems/taking up space for propagation, and limiting access to kai in front, and effectively, killing a part of the culture for those who still use those plants for medicine, and that specific reef and shorline area for food. I hope you see what I mean here, as this didn't exactly come out as articulate as I had hoped.

I personally think they will be helpful, again, as long as you are genuinely respectful (I've got Hawaiian family on all islands and have met many other residents there...they really care about how they/culture are portrayed and will most likely give input.)

Why not just written sources or non-personal interviews just with people outside of the 'True Kanaka Order' (those who aren't modern like O'ahu Hawaiians and still live 'aina style')?

It is because you really need to FEEL what the person is conveying through true emotion and that authentic interpersonal connection. You have to be there with the person who is being interviewed, and FEEL how they FEEL about what they are saying (mannerisms v.important).

With true Hawaiians, it should be conducted in their 'homeland' so you witness, first-hand, the man/land connection (Moloka'i is the closest you'll come to in Hawai'i, trust me.) Hawaiian culture is really all about the ultimate respect for nature...a celebration of it's non-human inhabitants and ecosystems, and living in a way that minimizes impact on said ecosystems. Why not interview all the 'aina style' guys who are there, in their native element? There is much more to the culture than you think. Also, you might as well learn what NOT to do to avoid future controversy.

The added benefit is...the trip may turn out to be a positive eye-opening experience...not to mention, fun!

Come to O'ahu and you'll mostly find the 'cable-culture' Hawaiians (those influenced mostly by their televisions, especially MT fricken V.) If you go there, you will learn the intricacies of making the OTHER kind of "Shaved Ice." I mean

Ni'ihau is probably out of the question as they won't be farming anymore. Go through the U.H. system to get set up.

You can learn about Barbary/Hawaiian/American Sheep culture there, on your own though. If you're cool, they will supply you some wicked homegrown grass.

A tip: Barbary Sheep don't like guns, and will think of you as a NARC, then a pariah.

Big Island and Mau'i are also good sources, but the population is more spaced out, and more ground/footwork will probably required as opposed to little Moloka'i.

I hope you understand that anything put out in book form, whether fiction or non, will inherit an amount of power, and you'll be affecting the entire range of your readers...from the critical thinkers to the straight-up sheep...and on at least some level, whether it be conscious/sub, what you write will be taken as 'fact' (at the very least, with a BAG of salt.) I hope you respect the power you'll be tapping into.

If 'going to the moon' is too difficult, maybe you should not become an astronaut. (All right, some wise a** is probably going to say, "You can still write about the moon without going there." Most can't go to the moon and have to base on research alone. Hopping a plane is easy.) Too much sacrifice involved? So be it.

Just remember it is the culture that will suffer from misrepresentation.

P.S. Why not make the lead character a Hawaiian male? Countless stories of pacific island groups have that beautiful, Polynesian female character that hooks up w/Caucasian male. Why not the other way around (male Polynesian character, female Caucasian.)

SEX SEX SEX . These stories always emphasize the sexual beauty of Polynesian/Melanesian/Micronesian...WOMEN. Let's get ORIGINAL, please.
      Those who understand this still see it happening to many other cultures...even Disney still does it against non-American ones.

How about making both characters all fugly so this wouldn't even be a factor. Or, is sexual attraction too big a selling point for your story (in which case..."manuscript-rewrite, anyone?")

P.P.S. You are mentioning an 'artifact'. Better check out www.oha.org (just for starters), and read all past issues of their newsletter, just to see possible complications of writing incorrectly about this kind of stuff. These islands have a long, bitter history of being pillaged for 'antiquities', and it is still very much a sensitive issue today.

IF this story turns out to be -Tomb Raider in Hawai'i- you'll definitely get some negative feedback if you aren't careful how you go about it. Read the Mau'i Fever petition to see what I mean.

In short: speak to the right kupuna in an honest way, in person, in their element.

Your stories could shine, or burn itself (and the culture which would be contributing to the paychecks.)

Which would you prefer?

Aloha, and good luck. You will need much caffeine for this endeavor.

Oh yeah, and don't use Wikipedia for anything!!!

Oh yeah, oh yeah, some librarians are hot. I worked in a library for 2 years. Choice times!
      Sing with me, everyone!
      "Some folk'll never eat a skunk, but then again, some folk'll..."
      like your mama, the slack-jawed yok'll.
      --------------------------------------------------------------
      http://www.haleakalatimes.com/ <--- better than MTV
      The Nettle Caterpillar Must DIE!!!
      http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/IP-22.pdf

Comment

Excellent advice...
        "When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Comment

Originally posted by DKP View Post
          Even in Hawai'i, there are many misrepresentations/misconceptions of Hawaiian culture (especially on O'ahu)
          (...)
          Why not just written sources or non-personal interviews just with people outside of the 'True Kanaka Order' (those who aren't modern like O'ahu Hawaiians and still live 'aina style')?
          (...)
          Come to O'ahu and you'll mostly find the 'cable-culture' Hawaiians (those influenced mostly by their televisions, especially MT fricken V.)
          Overall, some good suggestions from DKP, but I have to wonder about the reason for the repeated insults of Hawaiians on O`ahu, as if every single one was not worthy and as if every single one was urbanized and out of touch with their culture. And this from someone who says he lives in Palolo... on O`ahu.
          DKP himself wrote "Just remember it is the culture that will suffer from misrepresentation." So I advise the curious that DKP himself seems to be misrepresenting O`ahu's Hawaiians by making unqualified generalizations.
          Not to mention insulting them.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

HawaiiDreamer,

Oops. Just re-read all your posts. I thought the future stuff would be based here, not on a small island (elsewhere?) If that is the case, maybe my recommendations aren't all that necessary...but a 2 day trip to Moloka'i would still do you good (especially if you have any kind of stress in your life already)

LikaNui
            I apologize to anyone offended about the joke stuff. My buddies and I here are all kolohe, and yes, many are batu freaks (and really proud of it, their group is called 'Pro-Chronics'). I guess I used it as a way for a batu joke, didn't mean to imply that all ice heads are Hawaiian. In retrospect, I shouldn't even joke about ice in the first place as it can be a sensitive topic.

I meant no truth in what I said about O'ahu not having any true Hawaiians (of which I wouldn't even consider myself as one). It is true that there are many great people here who know the culture inside and out. I should watch my humor more carefully and stay away from generalizations. I do still think Moloka'i is the best place to learn, as the cultural base is more centralized, and there is still more land there than here to practice it. For someone who may only have a limited amount of time for on the spot research, this seems most efficient.
            Last edited by DKP; July 10, 2007, 05:47 PM.
            Sing with me, everyone!
            "Some folk'll never eat a skunk, but then again, some folk'll..."
            like your mama, the slack-jawed yok'll.
            http://www.haleakalatimes.com/ <--- better than MTV
            The Nettle Caterpillar Must DIE!!!
            http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/IP-22.pdf

Comment

Working...
            X