No announcement yet.

Maui becoming the "Mainland" Island?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maui becoming the "Mainland" Island?

WELCOME TO MAUI ''THE VALLEY ISLE'' OH, Try wait!!!
    WELCOME TO MAUI ''THE MAGIC ISLE'' Try wait!!!
    WELCOME TO MAUI ''THE MAINLAND ISLE'' CAN!!!!!
    bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Eh OggBoy, you living on Maui. Tell us how it REALLY is with the malihini! How many tourists stop by your restaurant on boat days? Are you still at Ruby's?

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Interesting this thread is coming out the weekend of Martin Luther King day.

Living in Hawaii in the 80's, I observed the light-hearted, "harmless" form of racism, even the use of the word 'haole' in the newspaper, and recalled the same mentality in shows like 'Amos and Andy.'

Of course, a few years later we had the Watts riots.

Comment

To the person who anonymously gave me a red chicklet and wrote "Hawaii should not be a locals only state": Can you really construe my comments to mean that? If you do, I apologize. There's enough room for everybody in Hawaii as long as there is an appreciation of what is there and an understanding that no group is better than any other. You must associate your ethnicity with a minority (and have suffered some harrassment from "locals") or you wouldn't have the reaction you did.

My heart goes out especially to the ancestors of today's kanaka maoli because in their naivete and kindness, they allowed themselves to be put under the thumb of a foreign government and gave us what we have today, for all the good and the bad that is Hawai'i.

One of the things that saddens me in particular is the destruction of older buildings. It's the mentality of "we're going to tear this old building down because we can" that is really alarming. I can understand undertaking a study to see if there is economic value in restoring a structure (like the Queen Emma Foundation did with the International Marketplace, and they eventually decided against tearing the whole thing down but will be rehabbing parts of it) and after weighing the economic pros and cons of restoration v. tearing down the old and replacing it with concrete, but to just bulldoze something because you can is a waste of our legacy. Don't pave over more of Paradise unless you realize that once the asphalt is laid down, there's very little chance of it ever reverting back to the way it was.

Miulang
          Last edited by Miulang; January 13, 2006, 02:58 PM.
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Conversely, we can say "sad yeah, get plenny local people leaving the islands to live mainland".

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne
              Conversely, we can say "sad yeah, get plenny local people leaving the islands to live mainland".
              Yeah, that's the REALLY sad part . If many of those people had a choice between staying in Hawai'i if they could afford it or moving up here because it was too expensive to live in Hawai'i, my guess is many would take that one-way ticket back to the 'aina in a heartbeat.

Miulang

Comment

The same changes are happening everywhere. Every town I've ever lived in across the country has people lamenting that "locals" are being replaced by "foreigners", old neighborhoods replaced by new commuters, old farms and forests sprouting suburban blight and McMansions, cultures and traditions changing and disappearing, local lingo and stories are forgotten, old landmarks replaced by chain stores, "locals" can't afford to live there anymore, etc, etc, etc... The towns where I lived in the 70's and 80's are much different now so they're a bit hard to recognize, most of the people in them are recent transplants, and many of the "locals" have dispersed to become someone else's "foreigners". Change, change, change.

Comment

You hit it right on the kinipopo, Beaker. But it's saddest for the outmigration of locals from Hawai'i because for many of them family is everything (many of the new transplants in other cities and towns don't have those close ties with their family, or they're young professionals and have no family yet), and they not only have to leave their homes, but their entire support systems behind to start over.

Miulang

Comment

Yeah, still @ RUBY`S...

Boat day`s are pretty hectic for us and Koho`s too!!!
                    Plenty malahini`s all over da place, even the crew members come kau-kau.
                    Today`s Maui News quote Kahului Harbor full to the gill`s. Just think get one more NCL ship adding on this year. Plus with the Super Ferry coming soon, some good fun going be fo try get one space for dock. Maybe they should use da breakers if no moa room....
                    As why hard "LACK OF PLANNING'' "LET`S GO WITH THE KA`LA" CAN!!!
                    bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

yes, but are there also any malihinis all over the place too?

Comment

Originally posted by oggboy
                        Yeah, still @ RUBY`S...

Boat day`s are pretty hectic for us and Koho`s too!!!
                        Plenty malahini`s all over da place, even the crew members come kau-kau.
                        Today`s Maui News quote Kahului Harbor full to the gill`s. Just think get one more NCL ship adding on this year. Plus with the Super Ferry coming soon, some good fun going be fo try get one space for dock. Maybe they should use da breakers if no moa room....
                        As why hard "LACK OF PLANNING'' "LET`S GO WITH THE KA`LA" CAN!!!
                        Maybe they should build one ferry dock Kanaha Beach side of da harbor instead of cramming everybody in Kahului Harbor. I heard traffic going be uka pila ugly the way they planning to have it run now if the Superferry docks right across from Maui Mall... Or maybe they should make the Superferry dock at Ma'alaea because most tourists stay Wailea or Kaanapali anyway. That way no moa additional pilikia right around Maui Mall.

If da locals huhu about all da cars crowding Puunene Ave. now, can just imagine da kine stink eye going get when peeps come on da ferry!

Miulang

Comment

corporatUSt hitmen in Hawai'i ?

The former US hegemon economic hitman John Perkins reveals in his lectures and his book Confessions of an Economic Hitman much about how corporatUSt$ of US corporatism go about trashing non-US cultures, societies and subverting non-US political evolutions.

Perkins's book deals almost exclusively with corporatUSt$' practice of deploying economic hitmen to get leaders of foreign countries in lock step with the promotion US interests. Now that The Carlyle Group, Morgan Stanley and other corporatUSt interest$ have descended on Hawai'i, one can reasonably conclude that Hawaii state and county officials are falling all over themselves to serve corporatUSt$' interests.
                          Last edited by waioli kai; January 15, 2006, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                            My heart goes out especially to the ancestors of today's kanaka maoli because in their naivete and kindness, they allowed themselves to be put under the thumb of a foreign government and gave us what we have today, for all the good and the bad that is Hawai'i.Miulang

Only if we shipped all the Asian immigrants back to Asia, then Hawaii would be more like the 1800s when Hawaii was mostly Hawaiian.

Miulang back to China?

Comment

No more like Great Britain. Japanese living in Hawaii during WWII helped crack the Japanese code books to help turn the war agains Japan.

If GB had been in control of Hawaii instead of the US, I wonder how the fate of the world (or Hawaii) would be like today?
                              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                                No more like Great Britain. Japanese living in Hawaii during WWII helped crack the Japanese code books to help turn the war agains Japan.

If GB had been in control of Hawaii instead of the US, I wonder how the fate of the world (or Hawaii) would be like today?

Right on AJAs. They did their part in WWII. But that's a different subject from the one Miulang is bringing up. Miulang is trying once again to argue that immigrant groups numbers 4,5 and 6 are more important and valid than immigrants numbers 7, 8 and 9. Silly. Only one immigrant to Hawaii is unique to Hawaii. All the rest are immigrants.

Hawaii is an odd place and nobody sees it or wants to see it.

Imagine this. Imagine that in the Bay Area or L.A. area of california, all the Japanese, Chinese and Filipino immigrants (and there are more in California than all of Hawaii) living today. But they like to use Native American Indian words in their speech, but just a few. And they like to put on Feather Head Dresses and beads at parties and graduations. And imagine if the California legislature was mostly Asian and they dressed up in Indian garb on opening day and sang Indian songs (like Hawaii Ponoi) which they can recite but have no clue what they're singing. And imagine that these same Asian immigrants still eat sushi, dim sum and pancet at home.

And then imagine these Asian immigrants trying to pretend that because they somehow are redefining what it is to be "local Californian", now they belong and the next wave of immigrants to California do not. These Asian immigrants define what it is to be a Californian and all other immigrants are just spoiling what they have created.

The summarized description above is exactly what is going on in Hawaii today. At best it is weird. At worst it is the stealing of a culture by non-natives. But the urge to belong, to be "Local" is so powerful that the absurdity of the culture is ignored by all.

Comment

Working...
                                X