No announcement yet.

Maui becoming the "Mainland" Island?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maui becoming the "Mainland" Island?

Take your time Mauiwahine05, I`m sure tita Muilang gonna add on to this post
    I know get plenty for talk about Maui!!! TALK TO YA LADDA`S!!!
    OGGBOY
    bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

• Re: Maui becoming the "Mainland" Island?

Sam Sato still get manju?...da lima bean one?

Last time we went back to Maui was for a funeral for my uncle. Didn't have time to go to all our favorite places for Maui treats. Maybe some of you Maui folks heard of him? Used to do a lot of work for the elderly. YW Chun (sorry not comfortable with printing his whole name online). Avid golfer and Lion's Club member. His wife and daughter still live in Kahului. The son lives here on Oahu.

Still get guri guri?...or goody goody? Azeka's still make their short rib laulau?

One story.
      The last time I saw my Uncle alive, he took me to a small Hawaiian food place (I forget da name) on some road I dunno if was in Kahului or Wailuku. Probably Kahului coz I remember had da ocean on da right of da road.... Hootah!...are we there yet? <ROFLMAO> Okayokayokay. I was ono for laulau and kalua pig so I ordered one laulau and kalua pig and cabbage plate. A combo, I thought. My Uncle looks at me sideways and says, "You sure? That might not be enough for you." I says, "Oh nah, I'm good. it'll be just fine." HO! Jus da inside of da laulau filled da whole plate. You know da round kine dinnah plate. Da kalua pig came on one oval dinnah plate, filled from edge to edge to edge to edge and about 6" high in da middle....and had 2 scoop rice on da side an one oddah bowl of mac salad. My eyes bugged out and I looked at da waitress and asked, "Is this free if I eat it all in 20 minutes?"...and da waitress said, "No honey. I no care how fas you eat'em, it's still going be saven dollahs." She walked away laughing her ass off and I saw da cook snickering in da kitchen. Uncle was looking at one kakaroach on da wall and Aunty was looking at her food real close trying not to spit. Das my story. No moral or redeeming value. Just a fond memory of my Maui Uncle.

Comment

• Re: Maui becoming the &quot;Mainland&quot; Island?

I sista, I hope your Uncle wen slap da kakaroach with his rubba slippa`s o betta yet tell da waitress, so maybe you get discount!!!
        Yes, still get Tasaka Guri-Guri, Azeka still get short-ribs, but I neva heard of dem making short-rib lau lau. By the way wen wuz da last time you came Maui cause I can only think of Da Kitchen in Kahului with that kine Hawaiian plate.
        OGGBOY
        bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by oggboy
          I sista, I hope your Uncle wen slap da kakaroach with his rubba slippa`s o betta yet tell da waitress, so maybe you get discount!!!
          Yes, still get Tasaka Guri-Guri, Azeka still get short-ribs, but I neva heard of dem making short-rib lau lau. By the way wen wuz da last time you came Maui cause I can only think of Da Kitchen in Kahului with that kine Hawaiian plate.
          I was thinking the same thing about the laulau plate...gotta be from Da Kitchen! Neva been to da Kahului store, oni been to da Kihei one. Man, da plate lunches so big, cannot eat da whole thing in one meal! Sometimes we can get frozen "Azeka-style" ribs in the Asian supermarket up here. I like Sam Sato dry mein and their little fried pies (peach, apple and coconut onolicious!). I think Home Maid Bakery makes better manju, though.

Miulang

P.S. Oh wait, used to have da place by Sheik's in Kahului (by QKC) what was it called? Aloha Cafe or something lidat? They used to be famous for their Hawaiian plates too.
          Last edited by Miulang; March 3, 2006, 01:13 PM.
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

MIULANG, I think the restaurant you thinking about was on Puunene Ave. It was called Aloha Restaurant. Ono kine Hawaiian food, Laulau, kalua pig, I mean the real thing, squid luau, coconut squid, pipikaula, tripe stew. They had the imu in the back of the restaurant. Now days you gonna find that same style grinds at the Pukalani Country Club. Wen Aloha restaurant closed down the same owner opened up a restaurant in Pukalani.
            Oggboy
            bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

MIULANG, I think the restaurant you thinking about was on Puunene Ave. It was called Aloha Restaurant. Ono kine Hawaiian food, Laulau, kalua pig, I mean the real thing, squid luau, coconut squid, pipikaula, tripe stew. They had the imu in the back of the restaurant. Now days you gonna find that same style grinds at the Pukalani Country Club. Wen Aloha restaurant closed down the same owner opened up a restaurant in Pukalani.
              Oggboy
              Oh! Next time I'm on Maui (we usually stay up in Kula when we visit), I going stop off at da golf course restaurant and GRIND then! I always wondered what kind food they served. Must get more "local" kine grinds den dakine at the Dunes restaurant then? We had one class reunion at the Dunes one time. The food was haole kine, though.

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Place was called by a Hawaiian man's name. Kimo's, Kaipo's.....something like that. This was over 10 years ago. I think they closed down soon after. They weren't open that long when my Uncle took me there in the first place, so it may not be known by many at all.

About 15 years ago, we had a picnic at Kualoa Park and someone brought these bumbucha laulau's that had shortribs inside. Everyone went nuts over them and asked where to get them. He said Azeka's. Das all I know.

I still like Sam Sato's manju better. Actually, we kinda grew up on their manju. Whenever someone went to or came from Maui, we'd get a couple of packages wrapped in newspaper. That would be 4 pint boxes of guri guri. 2 boxes strawberry and 2 boxes lemon or yellow. Also one white pie or pastry box, the half size, full of manju from Sam Sato's. Never from anyplace else. I tried the manju from the other place, but I guess all these years of SS manju jaded me.

Went to Maui with my first wife and we wanted to eat someplace local. Found a cafe in downtown Wailuku, one steet in from the main road. Was packed with locals so we figured good local grinds. Patooooi! Junk! For the life of me, I can't figure what the draw was because it sure couldn't have been the food. Local food, but totally greasy and stale grease to top it all off. Like they'd been recycling the fryer oil for the past month after cooking fish and shrimp and chicken and who knows what. That was a good 25 years ago, at least. Probably long gone. Certainly not missed on my part.

Comment

Okay, the only place I can think of is a kinda small in the wall place called Kaleo`s. They had big portions on da Hawaiian plate. When Aloha Restaurant in Kahului wen close neva have Rest. that served good kine Hawaiian food, luck thing Kaleo`s wen open up. Oh an by the way, da udda guri-guri flavor is pineapple. Yeah us to grew up with s/s manju from Puunene store days. My wife always go get manju or umpung.
                  OGGBOY
                  bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye

Went to Maui with my first wife and we wanted to eat someplace local. Found a cafe in downtown Wailuku, one steet in from the main road. Was packed with locals so we figured good local grinds. Patooooi! Junk! For the life of me, I can't figure what the draw was because it sure couldn't have been the food. Local food, but totally greasy and stale grease to top it all off. Like they'd been recycling the fryer oil for the past month after cooking fish and shrimp and chicken and who knows what. That was a good 25 years ago, at least. Probably long gone. Certainly not missed on my part.
                    hahaha! That sounds like Tasty Crust, yeah, Oggboy? The reason plenty locals go eat there is because of their bumbucha pancakes and saimin! The "secret" to their pancake recipe is they go put cream of wheat insai.Their mac salad pretty good too. Small kid time my parents used to take me and my bro over there (pretty close to where the parents live) so we could learn to eat like "civilized people"...meaning with the forks, knives, spoons and pepa napkins! My favorite meal was their meatloaf. We used to go Hale Lava, too. Pineapple guri guri was my favorite flavor at Tasaka!
                    Miulang

Comment

PINEAPPLE! Yeah, sorrysorry. All I could think of was...yallow.

Pancakes and saimin? No wondah. Wuz to late fo pancakes and wasn't in da mood fo saimin.

Miulang, if it wasn't for the "Seattle" in your location I'd swear you were my cousin and am wondering if you might know her. Naomi, still living in Kahului. Had a brother Sanford. Maybe oggboy, too. Sounds like you all lived pretty close together. My cousin lives on the left going towards Wailuku. Behind the 2 antennaes. Not far from Wailuku town. Those towers still there? I gotta get back there.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye
                        Miulang, if it wasn't for the "Seattle" in your location I'd swear you were my cousin and am wondering if you might know her. Naomi, still living in Kahului. Had a brother Sanford. Maybe oggboy, too. Sounds like you all lived pretty close together. My cousin lives on the left going towards Wailuku. Behind the 2 antennaes. Not far from Wailuku town. Those towers still there? I gotta get back there.
                        She must live in Dream City, then (by da Maui Memorial Hospital and KMVI, da radio station). I knew one wahine named Naomi Okamura (I tink das her last name) wen grad Baldwin High School, but dat probably not your cuz.

Yeah, if you go visit Maui again, no foget go up Makawao side and get some cream puffs from Komoda Bakery. Dey get dakine malasadas with guava and lilikoi filling insai. Da bes! In Kahului on da way to da Airport (headed away from Kahului) get one bakery right next to da 24 Hour Fitness called Da Sweet Shoppe or something lidat dat get onolicious kine desserts too. And no foget da Krispy Kremes right across from Costco and KMart down by da airport. And da Kahului location of Da Kitchen in da triangle area by da Mercedes (or was is da Lexus?) dealership right around da corner from Krispy Kreme.

Miulang

Comment

Muilang, that ono place was called SIMPLY SWEET`S.
                          We get some of our products from them, but the owner decided to sell out to someone else.
                          bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

We get some of our products from them, but the owner decided to sell out to someone else.
                            oh well, OGGBOY
                            bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

oh well, OGGBOY
                              So does that mean the onoliciousness of the cakes and malasadas has gone downhill, then?

Miulang

Comment

NO, Actually, The previous owner stay showing the new guys how to make their products like his. I dunna no, But that`s wat had in the Maui News couple days ago.
                                OGGBOY
                                bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Working...
                                X