Maui becoming the "Mainland" Island?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maui's tourist growth to be limited by infrastructure

In today's Maui News, there was an interesting story about how lack of adequate infrastructure is going to start impacting the growth of tourism on Maui. Part of it is because of the popularity of the island with tourists but also because several large hotels are being demolished and converted into pricier units to cater to the wealthy.

When you lose 200-300 units of "affordable" hotel rooms simultaneously, it eventually will pinch the local tourist economy. So I guess the strategy is going to have to be: "cater to the WEALTHY tourists--so you need fewer of them-- and let the budget minded tourists take their business to Kauai, Oahu or the Big Island". Yeah, right, that's the ticket: bring more rich people to Maui who spend beaucoup bux on everything from their hotel room to spa services (this is one thing Steve Case is getting into right now on Maui). Forget the people who save for years and years to make their dream trip to Hawai'i.

At least, there is an acknowledgement on the part of the County government and tourism officials that there is going to be a limit to the number of tourists the island can sustain at any one time.

"...Barry Wallace, an executive vice president for hotel chain Outrigger Enterprises, said his company, which operates 22 hotels in Hawaii, is one that needs to be more selective in who it markets to.

Our initiative has been to focus on targeting the very, very best guests – the ones who will take advantage of activities and other amenities we have to offer,” he said. “That’s been the focus of our marketing for the last two years, and it certainly will be from this point forward.”

Vencl says the overall strength means MVB’s marketing efforts will be directed at “filling in pukas” rather than trying to drive peaks ever higher.

That could mean looking to different metropolitan marketing areas, likely on the East Coast, where airlift is improving...."

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Re: Maui's tourist growth to be limited by infrastructure

Originally posted by Miulang
      That could mean looking to different metropolitan marketing areas, likely on the East Coast, where airlift is improving...."Miulang

Oahu has been catering to the Japanese for decades and I've heard very few zenophobic type concerns like yours.

Whats the difference between Oahu marketing to the Japanese and Maui marketing to the American Mainland? Niche marketing, that's all.

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea
        Oahu has been catering to the Japanese for decades and I've heard very few zenophobic type concerns like yours.

Whats the difference between Oahu marketing to the Japanese and Maui marketing to the American Mainland? Niche marketing, that's all.
        All I'm getting at is that economics is at work on Maui, moreso than on any of the other islands. We can't support all the tourists who want to visit Maui, so we're going after the richest ones. Most other islands would be rubbing their hands with glee if both the rich tourist from Japan and the one from Dirty Elbow, Montana, arrived on their fair shores. On Maui, it's not a question of not enough tourists, it's a question of too many tourists, too little hotel space.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
          All I'm getting at is that economics is at work on Maui, moreso than on any of the other islands. We can't support all the tourists who want to visit Maui, so we're going after the richest ones. Most other islands would be rubbing their hands with glee if both the rich tourist from Japan and the one from Dirty Elbow, Montana, arrived on their fair shores. On Maui, it's not a question of not enough tourists, it's a question of too many tourists, too little hotel space.

Miulang

Economics is at work equally in all areas, as far as possible considering it's the peoples republic of Hawaii.

Going after the richest ones? Thats the same reason Oahu has been addicted to Kepani poontang for 20 years. The spend double the mainland visitor per day. If your complaint is too many tourists, then going after the rich ones is a great way to collect the same cash with half the environmental impact. You should be celebrating! Less Haoles, More Kala! Isn't that what you want??

Comment

Re: Maui becoming the "Mainland" Island?

No, that isn't what I want personally. But given the reality that is Maui today, where agriculture has taken a back seat to tourism, it's better to have fewer tourists than more tourists, and if fewer tourists spend more money and create fewer problems for the infrastructure (roads, water, sewage, etc) why not? If the kanaka maoli were able to establish a sovereign nation again, they would probably require all tourists to carry a passport. But my guess is they would still have to rely on tourism for their livelihood; what else is left that would sustain the 'aina in a profitable way? I'm just kinda sad that it's getting impossible for the "budget" tourist to see Maui.

Miulang

Comment

Kepani poontang
              Tasteful racism - a new niche (okay, not so new.)

Now, where's Dirty Elbow, Montana? --- Time for a road-trip.

Comment

Re: Maui becoming the "Mainland" Island?

Originally posted by sin
                Ah Spreklesville...where my friends and I would party at Stables back in high school...where one of the prep cooks at Mama's Fish House would park his car and camp there with his dog instead of pay rent somewhere.

Sorry, I know this thread was discussing much more serious issues such as stereotyping and discrimination and how much people can't tolerate people who can't tolerate other cultures but it brought back memories of small kid time in Paia. Where the plantation families, windsurfers and hippies all somehow managed to co-exist without killing each other, even though we all gave each other the sideglance and thought "What the hell are YOU doing here??!?!"
                Yeah, it would be nice if there were no tension between the different cultures. I'm just glad that I know my place. Lala be good haole.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                  Tasteful racism - a new niche (okay, not so new.)

Now, where's Dirty Elbow, Montana? --- Time for a road-trip.

Shheeeesh, you muslim or wot. So sensitive. Mention Muhammad and everone goes nuts.

Poontang not racist and Kepani not racist as far as I know. But maybe its just the bigot in me.

ALoha

Comment

Shheeeesh, you muslim or wot.
                    Wot, for the most part.
                    But maybe its just the bigot in me.
                    Now, that was funny.

Comment

• Eek! They've discovered Wailuku!

Sleepy old Wailuku town has been "discovered" by at least one California newspaper. Gasp...there goes the neighborhood... Will the pawn and antique shops that now line Market St. make way to yupscale restaurants and shops? "Bohemian" indeed!

Miulang

Comment

• Re: Maui becoming the "Mainland" Island?

WOW, OLD WAILUKU TOWN IN ONE BAY AREA NEWSPAPER.....
                        I better go start one business say like personalize tours of Old Wailuku.
                        Big buck`s eh, Muilang!!!

Oggboy/
                        soon to be Wkuboy
                        bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Pretty soon not going get one "old" Wailuku town, OggBoy. No moa Ikeda's, Emura Jewelers, National Dollar Store, Kress Store, Kato's, Valley Isle Motors across from Kato's, Clyde's Shoes, Mabuhay Barbershop/Pool Hall, Ooka's, TK Supermarket in Happy Valley lidat. You better give one tour of the "new" "old" Wailuku town! Now going get one more sushi place (Kozo Sushi still on Market St. or what?) on Market St.? Even Molina's Bar something else now, yeah?

Miulang

Comment

Yeah, Kozo Sushi still on Market St. Molina`s Bar, now called Squeaky`s Rest. The old Sam Sato in Happy Valley is now, Happy Valley Cafe, owned by the Chef that used to run the Shirokiya lunch area in Q.K.C. Wailuku no moa Ooka`s so I usually go good old Takamiya Mkt. Or go grind at Sam Sato`s in the millyard. Other then that get one food court across old Kress Store and the New places right above old Nat`l Dollar Store.
                            LONG GONE NOT FORGOTTEN, OGGBOY
                            bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

This is a very interesting thread. I have so much to say, but I don't know where to start. .......

Comment

No be scared, MauiWahine. Just jump insai anykine place OK!

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                                X