No announcement yet.

What can we do to help the homeless?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What can we do to help the homeless?

More coverage: http://www.khnl.com/Global/story.asp?S=4694501

200 people moved out of the park, that's a lot of people. They have to leave from the HPD spot at 5 AM in the morning. It's a 24-hour a day job being homeless. No wonder it's hard to get out of homelessness once in it.

At least it must be safer than Ala Mo'ana by way of being next door to the HPD. Maybe all the homeless should have tent space next door to the police stations.

When I was watching the clip from the above link, the camera dwelled for quite a while on some fairly unsavory shots of the homeless in front of city hall. It was a bit of visual editorializing, a man nodding out, bare feet...and so forth.
    Last edited by smeed; March 31, 2006, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Lots of Attention came about from the eviction of the Homeless from Ala Moana Park. Governor Lingle's Homeless Meeting with Advocates has brought Ideas and HOPE.

In both Hawaii's newspapers this morning - Articles about Hawaii's Homeless!

Finally, there is HOPE. Finally.

...we shall see if they keep their promises.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...604030348.html

http://starbulletin.com/2006/04/02/e...itorial01.html

Sharon Black (Kalona808) wrote a letter in the Editorial Section of The SB
      http://starbulletin.com/2006/04/02/e...l/letters.html

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Any news on how the HPD garage thing is working out?

Comment

Originally posted by smeed
          Any news on how the HPD garage thing is working out?
          An article in today's Advertiser ( http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...0364/1190/NEWS ) includes this:

"Meanwhile, the city designated Sister Roberta Park — along Alapa'i Street, next to Honolulu Police Department headquarters — as an overnight site available for the homeless. But after the first few nights away from Ala Moana Beach Park, few, if any homeless individuals stayed there."

The article doesn't say why they're not staying there, however.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Malo and Tooa Laufou, named their sons, United and States. According to the article became Homeless due to a rent increase they couldn't afford.

"When asked if he had anything to tell the mayor, Laufou deferred to his 7-year-old son."

"Please help us to find a place to stay," United Laufou said.

per Honolulu Advertiser (Mahalo, Likanui)

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
              An article in today's Advertiser ( http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...0364/1190/NEWS ) includes this:

"Meanwhile, the city designated Sister Roberta Park — along Alapa'i Street, next to Honolulu Police Department headquarters — as an overnight site available for the homeless. But after the first few nights away from Ala Moana Beach Park, few, if any homeless individuals stayed there."

The article doesn't say why they're not staying there, however.
              Reading between the lines, I'd guess that 1. those who want to continue doing illegal activity will refuse to stay at near the police station, and 2. some people don't want the city to provide a place for them to stay unless it's beachfront.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                Reading between the lines, I'd guess that 1. those who want to continue doing illegal activity will refuse to stay at near the police station, and 2. some people don't want the city to provide a place for them to stay unless it's beachfront.
                Or it could be that having to be out of there at 5 AM with all your stuff makes it impractical. Get up at 4:30 AM, pack everything and hit the road every day. It would be interesting to know why the city chose those particular rules. In essence they made it really difficult to utilize the area.

Comment

Or it could be that having to be out of there at 5 AM with all your stuff makes it impractical. Get up at 4:30 AM, pack everything and hit the road every day. It would be interesting to know why the city chose those particular rules. In essence they made it really difficult to utilize the area.
                  In addition, they couldn't 'set up camp' until 9pm. For many of them, tho', there's probably some truth to Maddie's reply.

Comment

As indicated in the article, the other shelters also provides them with hot meals and "shelter" unlike the open space where you have to put up a tent in the HPD Park which the C&C is providing as temporary placement for the Ala Moana Homeless.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

So, are there a lot of homeless in Kailua? Just curious how the distribution is around the island.

Comment

This is sorta related to helping the homeless, because the homeless are a subset of the people who don't have enough money for food and rely on foodbanks, but thank god for people like Bob Douglas, who just donated ONE TON of rice to the Maui Foodbank. My guess is most of the people who go to the Maui foodbanks are the working poor who have to choose between the rent and food on their table. When I get to Maui I will have to make a Costco run and get them some SPAM to go with the rice.

Miulang
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

After all the excitement of closing Ala Mo'ana park, has anything changed for the homeless? Anything gotten better? Where did all the displaced people end up? Is anyone using the police station area to sleep?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Comment

After all the excitement of closing Ala Mo'ana park, has anything changed for the homeless? Anything gotten better? Where did all the displaced people end up? Is anyone using the police station area to sleep?

Inquiring minds want to know.
                            http://starbulletin.com/2006/04/10/news/story02.html

Auntie Alyn

Comment

I heard that the homeless are being moved to the Sand Island park!!. THANK GOODNESS!!.

Plus for those who are homeless & are living in Ala Moana Park, will have to move out of there, inorder for it to be cleaned out completely for 3 days starting tonight.
                              Aches & Pains
                              (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

Originally posted by Serenity
                                I heard that the homeless are being moved to the Sand Island park!!. THANK GOODNESS!!.

Plus for those who are homeless & are living in Ala Moana Park, will have to move out of there, inorder for it to be cleaned out completely for 3 days starting tonight.
                                In The StarBulletin today: http://starbulletin.com/2006/04/24/news/story02.html

"Massive Clean-up Starts tomarrow at Ala Moana Park!"

Auntie Alyn

Comment

Working...
                                X