No announcement yet.

What can we do to help the homeless?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What can we do to help the homeless?

On my way to work most days, I stop in at the Liliu'okalani Botanical Garden Park just off School Street for a little break. Today I had a very pleasant conversation with a 50 year old man that goes by the name "Spider". The stories he related to me, and by the way was just estatic to have someone to talk to, were intense. He's a local-born Hawaiian guy that just recently returned from a 15 year prison sentence in Missouri. A self proclaimed IceHead who spent 6 months in the Kaneohe Mental Institution long ago. I had just bought 2 packs of cigarettes (1 for a co-worker, that I'll catch later), and shared that and $20 bucks with him. He said he's been hanging out there alot lately so I'll try and bring easy kine food like sandwhiches with me on my almost daily trip by there. He wasn't scary in the least, but I know the "Look" when their out there. I previously created alot of problems by bringing a guy home about five years ago, that I tried to help but I'm not a Drug-Program. It got alittle Hairy and I promised never to do that again.

None of us individually can save the world, but we can help our brothers and sisters.
    A Warrior does not give up on what he loves he finds the love in what he does.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro
      On my way to work most days, I stop in at the Liliu'okalani Botanical Garden Park just off School Street for a little break. Today I had a very pleasant conversation with a 50 year old man that goes by the name "Spider". The stories he related to me, and by the way was just estatic to have someone to talk to, were intense. He's a local-born Hawaiian guy that just recently returned from a 15 year prison sentence in Missouri. A self proclaimed IceHead who spent 6 months in the Kaneohe Mental Institution long ago. I had just bought 2 packs of cigarettes (1 for a co-worker, that I'll catch later), and shared that and $20 bucks with him. He said he's been hanging out there alot lately so I'll try and bring easy kine food like sandwhiches with me on my almost daily trip by there. He wasn't scary in the least, but I know the "Look" when their out there. I previously created alot of problems by bringing a guy home about five years ago, that I tried to help but I'm not a Drug-Program. It got alittle Hairy and I promised never to do that again.

None of us individually can save the world, but we can help our brothers and sisters.
      I'm sorry folks! I didn't realize Pedro hadn't signed out. i'm so used to my computer at home that I forgot to check. Ooops!
      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

hmmm...twin sons from different mothers?
        Yes, the military is a ticket out of poverty for a lot of kids these days. The military is paying handsomely to recruit these kids who have the ambition to try to make better lives for themselves and their families. If this were a peacetime military, that would be great. But the fact that the majority of these young people are the ones who are getting sent to the front lines and being offered as cannon fodder is not acceptable to me. The life insurance policies these kids have on their heads will do little to ease the suffering of their families when they come back from the war front encased in caskets or for society as they return either physically or emotionally wounded.

Miulang
        Last edited by Miulang; April 26, 2006, 06:43 PM.
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
          being offered as cannon fodder
          U.S. troops are THE best-trained in the world. Hardly cannon fodder.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
            There is no doubt that the MILITARY is an exceptional "out" for those that are looking at few desirable choices. I'm a big fan, and though I never served, I have numerous friends, relatives, and acquaintenances who all say that it was a worthy experience. Some of those are still lifers.

I encourage a lot of youngsters in my sphere of influence to give the military a serious look. It's not all blood & bullets - theres Coast Guard, Air Force, and Navy for those that arent the uh rah type. Military is full of jobs that require all kinds of training besides killing folk.

Your not a recruiter are you?
            A Warrior does not give up on what he loves he finds the love in what he does.

Comment

I just wanted to say something about "Spider" that I had forgot to mention... Throughout all the stories, never once did he blame anyone else for his past or present situations. It was all "I did... and this is what happened..." We have all made mistakes in life, some worse than others, but I have respect for anyone who accepts responsibility for their own actions. I wish him all the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                U.S. troops are THE best-trained in the world. Hardly cannon fodder.
                I believe the Israeli forces are better trained for the type of "war" that is going on in Iraq than the US forces are, and even if our troops were better trained, they are certainly not being given the equipment and body protection to keep them from harm. You surely must remember the pleas from the troops on the front lines that the Stryker machines and Humvees they were using were not adequately shielded? Surely you remember the families who had to spend money out of their own pockets to buy body armor for their soldiers because the DoD failed to issue the necessary gear?

Even though the casualty (death) rate in this "war" has been lower than in any other "war", this "war" is also a different kind of conflict...it's urban fighting and our troops are mostly being blown up by IEDs, not by gunshots. Because of the body armor, they're not dying, but they are coming home as traumatized amputees or psychologically wrecked like many of their brothers from Vietnam. War is hell, no matter how you look at it.

Miulang
                Last edited by Miulang; April 27, 2006, 07:12 AM.
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

A terrific continuation....

Check out how cool God is!
                  I was planning on making peanutbutter & jelly sandwiches to take with me today, when at 1pm. totally unannounced or expected a lady friend of ours brought over two really choice homemade turkey sandwiches and 4 sodas to our house. She didn't know anything about my plans. My wife came with me to work today to check out the museum and have a night out with a few ladies from here. Well, we stopped by the park and was sorely disapointed when I couldn't find anyone around. As we were getting back in our car I heard HOOIE! It was Wayne (Spider) and two others. We had fun talking story and sharing for a bit. When I get home tonight I'll upload a photo of Spider & Me.

Thank You God for providing and arranging. You're the Best!

Comment

As promised. Here's Spider and Me!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man
                      I just wanted to say something about "Spider" that I had forgot to mention... Throughout all the stories, never once did he blame anyone else for his past or present situations. It was all "I did... and this is what happened..." We have all made mistakes in life, some worse than others, but I have respect for anyone who accepts responsibility for their own actions. I wish him all the best.
                      Menehune Man, The picture of Spider looks very familiar.

Yes, we all make mistakes in Life. No one is perfect. He who is, can cast the first stone.

None can.

A chronic or an alcoholic is able to know what to say, when to say and know how to say at the right time. He/she will make up a story to her/his own liking to fit the occasion. They are Con Artists! The Best of the Bests!

They do what they have to do because that is how they survive on the STREETS. No one is a friend. Everyone they meet is another bottle or another hit of dope of their choice.

For the women, most times their bodies is just another source of way to earn money to supply their daily habits.

This is the cruel and often true Life of the Friendships that is made with the Street People. There are many categories of the Homeless Population. You are my friend, you are a fellow member of HT. Please be careful.

Do not be made a fool or be taken so easily by Homeless Characters that seem "nice and true." Anybody can say they are this and that. Many are just plain LOSERS!

Granted, a Few make it back to Society as Productive Citizens. A FEW!

Auntie Lynn

btw: I am a Homeless Advocate.
                      For Families, for those who work and can not afford the high rents that are being charged. I am outraged at the high cost of living in Hawai'i for our People.
                      Last edited by 1stwahine; April 28, 2006, 01:11 AM.
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

You are correct Auntie. And I've been taken before. I know he's a chronic and not like a friend as in close kine, but I don't mind sharing alittle food and whatnot with this guy. I won't bring him home and I never have much on me to get taken from me.

If you really think about it don't ALL of us know what to say to whomever to try and get what we want? You know like how to 'present our case'.

I do think I'll go through my clothes and jackets to see if he'd like some of them.

Comment

You are correct Auntie. And I've been taken before. I know he's a chronic and not like a friend as in close kine, but I don't mind sharing alittle food and whatnot with this guy. I won't bring him home and I never have much on me to get taken from me.

If you really think about it don't ALL of us know what to say to whomever to try and get what we want? You know like how to 'present our case'.

I do think I'll go through my clothes and jackets to see if he'd like some of them.
                          Menehune Man, You have a good heart. Please be careful and always be one step ahead. Never ever take his word as TRUTH! Whatever you do, please do not give him CASH. Clothes and a bite to eat is good. Never CASH. He will seek you out wherever you are.

"If you really think about it don't ALL of us know what to say to whomever to try and get what we want? You know like how to 'present our case'."

For me, Nah. Neva had the problem!

Good Luck & God Bless,

Auntie Lynn
                          Last edited by 1stwahine; April 28, 2006, 01:02 AM.
                          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Okay, that's cool. I can do that.

Comment

I mean what can "We" do to help the homeless? Unless "We" are willing to actually do something. I know "our" government (Federal/State/County/City) could do more, but you know what? DEY AINT!

Comment

I mean what can "We" do to help the homeless?
                                Not be one oh dem

ya ever try arguin for da rootz of a bayan!? wit some dude ya wish would steh ala pahk side arready?!
                                been there. done... etc..
                                steh outta my block.

Comment

Working...
                                X